Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need help with stopping to keyboard turn.

Hello there, i am really into PvP right now, but I'm a baddy Keyboard turner. I was a keyboard turner since TBC ( when i started playing ) and i never had any problems until now. I want to start PvP'ing and I'm aiming for high results, however I'm pretty sure you can't be good at PvP whilst still keyboard turning. Sometimes i play badly because of it and sometimes it works out for me, but i don't really want to take a risk. I also have a Razer Naga if that helps as well.
    And yes, i Tried moving with my mouse but it's easier for me to Keyboard turn I.E Use WASD to move.

So, if anybody has any advice or had the same problem as me, please don't be afraid to post. ~ Thanks for listening.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgj0RDJ9RA

Watch this, and you will never be able to look at a or d again.

Deleted
    ok, mate, instead of A+D making you turn, go to your keybinds, and make A+D strafing left/right, it will be way easier to learn mouseturning that way thats how i learned it

Quote Originally Posted by TheFurry View Post

Haha that video is hillarious

Anyways to help you become a non keyboard turner, just simple unbind A and D from turning then you can only turn with the mouse and will learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unpala View Post

Anyways to help you become a non keyboard turner, just simple unbind A and D from turning then you can only turn with the mouse and will learn it.
    Well, that's going to be very hard at the start.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    I play mainly with my right mouse button clicked. All the time.

I think i got more used to the mouse, after keybinding certain spells to the extra mouse buttons i had. I got an 8 button mouse. The more i got used to using my right hand for game playing. The more i got used to using the mouse over my normal keybinds for movement. You could always give that ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    It will be, but you'll only be playing slightly worse than you do now for a little while before massively improving. What he suggested (A and D to strafe) is the best way to learn by far.

You could also play a shooting game like Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament for some time. You'll get so used to mouselooking that you'll never think of keyboard-turning again. But... As a side effect you'll find yourself strafing all the time (at least i do) ...

Thanks for the replies/advice guys, much appreciated.
    Playing since 2007.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by algoma View Post
    ok, mate, instead of A+D making you turn, go to your keybinds, and make A+D strafing left/right, it will be way easier to learn mouseturning that way thats how i learned it
    do what he says, i recently did this. it may be awkward at first but you will eventually teach yourself since you unbound the keys.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Deleted

ahaha what a complete noob.
    its even sad really, watching him turn SLOOOWLY over and over again.
    btw sorry to be this much of an ass but if you keyboard turn DONT PVP.

unbind A and D (i actually use those for spells, Q & E for strafe) and ull be fine.

if you have ever played a first person shooter, mouse turning will come fairly easy to you.

I just did this with my lock a couple weeks ago. Bind A and D to strafe, also spend a lot of time making macros for all your spells so can't click any of them. Then just grind heroics and battle grounds till you get it. It's a pretty wild game change, and dps will suffer, but it's better in the long run.

You know what I did? I picked up this game called Minecraft. It's in beta. Movement controls are similair to a FPS. W-foreward, S-backward, D-strafe left, A-strafe right, and you use the mouse to look around. I played that game for 3 days. I logged onto WoW after that break and tried moving around. OMG IT WAS THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE THING EVER!!! I then quickly switched A and D to strafe and run around using right click to change direction. As tank this is a lot of fun.

Deleted
    Unbind A and D (turn left/right) and bind them to strafe (Q/E). Your get used to using your mouse to turn

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    it will be hard, but it will be effective. if later when you're used to turning with your mouse you want to re-bind them for turning while eating (playing with one hand lol) or jumping around <major city> then you can always do that : P

---------- Post added 2011-01-29 at 03:29 PM ----------

I had a similar experience except it was against a DK on my (very poorly geared) prot warrior. took me like a minute to kill him, but I was just running circles around him changing directions whenever he did, and he never hit me once. made me lol so hard I nearly cried. wish i had a video.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Unpala View Post

Haha. That's roughly how I showed a friend and new WoW player who keyboard turning was bad.

I'll add this video on Hunter Jump Shots: http://www.youtube.com/bigredkitty#p/u/72/eliqMs3Hplo. It suggest some ways to practice moving and jumping with the mouse.

It kinda came natural to me...I didn't even really notice it then I was like wow my A/D keys are useless why arnt those bind to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Madlib View Post
    if you have ever played a first person shooter, mouse turning will come fairly easy to you.
    This is probably the fastest way to L2P with a mouse. Go download a free FPS like AVA or something and play it for a couple of hours.