Thread: Shield on tank?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Shield on tank?

Hi, I have noob question regarding healing as a priest. I recently started lveling my holy priest using LFG. I see, in few topics thats shielding a tank is right thing to do. Few years ago, in tbc i used to have a priest, lvl 40 or smth, and as far as i remember shielding a tank was a no no because tank couldnt take aggro. So has anything changed in meanwhile or I have some kind of false memory?

10+ Year Old Account
    doesn't effect aggro anymore, bubble your little heart out

Quote Originally Posted by Celer View Post
    Hi, I have noob question regarding healing as a priest. I recently started lveling my holy priest using LFG. I see, in few topics thats shielding a tank is right thing to do. Few years ago, in tbc i used to have a priest, lvl 40 or smth, and as far as i remember shielding a tank was a no no because tank couldnt take aggro. So has anything changed in meanwhile or I have some kind of false memory?
    It's one of those things that's changed back and forth over the years. When people said "Don't shield the tank" it was because at the time, warriors and druids didn't get any rage from absorbed damage. Less rage meant less threat, so for some situations it made holding aggro harder. Currently, you get rage even if the incoming damage is absorbed, so shielding the tank is a perfectly fine idea.

A Power Word: Shield or Prayer of Mending is also a good sign to the tank they you're ready for them to pull something.

Hmm from a tank perspective we don't lose agro but it might have something to do with mana pools at higher levels. Shield might be constly or there might be talents in 1 of the trees to increase effectiveness and reduce price.

Deleted
    Oh i see....well thnx guys. From now on i will occasionaly shield a tank. I am currently running lvl 35 +/- instances so i can really rely on renew + heal, in "extream" situations: flash heal.

So you high lvl priest, you use shiled on tank on every pull, every boss fight or situations when you know that massive amount of damge will hit the tank?

Actually i think i might heard it was one of the "oh shit" buttons to press when a tank needs a safety net.

Deleted
    Use the shield all the time, always before a pull with PoM.

Yes, shield and PoM them before the pull, since it's essentially "free" healing at the start.

Oh i see....well thnx guys. From now on i will occasionaly shield a tank. I am currently running lvl 35 +/- instances so i can really rely on renew + heal, in "extream" situations: flash heal.

So you high lvl priest, you use shiled on tank on every pull, every boss fight or situations when you know that massive amount of damge will hit the tank?
    Erm, as disc, yes. as holy, no... it's very low efficiency unless there's like a 50% healing debuff up or you're using it pre-pull where you have time to regen the cost back

seeing as you said you're holy, keep it for pre-pulls.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Especially for discipline, shielding the tank is critical, especially for Rapture procs. And as said earlier, it was only ever a no-no due to rage starvation, which has long since been corrected, and now there's nothing wrong with using it.
    The goddess in my avatar is Hayley Williams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    Erm, as disc, yes. as holy, no... it's very low efficiency unless there's like a 50% healing debuff up or you're using it pre-pull where you have time to regen the cost back

seeing as you said you're holy, keep it for pre-pulls.
    I don't know how much has changed in leveling as Holy, but when I was doing it Power Shield was a pretty decent spell up until level 60 or something, especially since the Glyph of Power Word: Shield was the only decent glyph at that level.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I don't know how much has changed in leveling as Holy, but when I was doing it Power Shield was a pretty decent spell up until level 60 or something, especially since the Glyph of Power Word: Shield was the only decent glyph at that level.
    ^This.

A lot of people replying to "noob questions" seem to respond from the endgame raider perspective. Things are vastly different at lower levels, where shielding is indeed a good option.

10+ Year Old Account
    god i remember the days of getting yelled at on my priest for shielding the tank. glad they finally changed it. and with the buff the shield is getting its even better to shield the tank for the absorb

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel
    A lot of people replying to "noob questions" seem to respond from the endgame raider perspective.
    ^ Might be the reason for the end-game reply, which was absolutely correct. At end-game, bubbling is not that hot for holy. fizikz even bolded it while responding, seriously.
    Last edited by Arjana; 2011-01-29 at 05:52 AM.

Deleted
    remember warrior get resources from being hit so it might effect a warrior tank on pull at least

15+ Year Old Account
    they changed that as well- it's no longer an issue.

I've recently picked my priest up again and i can at least say at 83, its a waste of time. Good for pre pull and obviously for Body and Soul talent, but it absorbs exactly how much it states on the tooltip (4k odd?) which isn't even half a boss hit, even in the normal dungeons.

Good for pre pull, and i can sort of remember it being pretty efficient at low levels, but its uses lower as you gain in level

Deleted
    Well yes, its not that much usefull for holy even at lower levels (me 40 atm). Shield last for less then quater of the time. I found it most usefull in situations when tank is really low on health (e.g. when he is moving fast foward through dungeon, not waiting for me to heal him), then i pop shield just to get more time to safely cast some big heal spell. Other useful situation is when whole group is taking dmg and i cant heal them simultaneosly (dont have aoe heal yet or PoM) so i shield dpsers and heal tank.

So it absorbs at lvl 83, like 4k? Thats not much, even for wotlk enviroment imho.

What about pally tanks? One told me to not shield because he needed to get hit to get his mana back or something. ( dont play pally so i am not sure if that is exactly what he said)

I am new to healing. I am rolling a Disc Priest and I always PW:Shield a Tank as soon as he pulls. Seems to work the best for me. No one has yelled at me yet