Warrior Block Cap?

My warrior is at 50% block. With Sheild Block up its 75%.

Simple question; Is the block cap still 75%? Does that mean im "soft capped"?

Zuluhead, Borean Tundra.

15+ Year Old Account
    you get unhittable at 102,4%
    being softcapped with shieldblockup means this:

102,4% - 25% - 5% (miss) - dodge% - parry% = block%
    so you take your dodge and parry and subtract it from 72,4%. then you know how much passive block you need to "softcap" block.

Deleted
    there's the softcap as described above where you have a total avoidance of 102,5% - 25%(shield block)

then there's the cap, when your dodge + parry + 5% + block = 102,5%

and then there's the hardcap when your dodge + parry + 5% + Critical block = 102,5%

quick way to tell how close you are to the "softcap", hit SB and see how much it increases your crit block by. if its 10% you are at the "softcap" 35% is the regular cap, and im not sure how to calculate "hardcap" using this method right now.

for this softcap is when you hit SB you are unhittable, regular cap is you are unhittable without SB, and hardcap is where are unhittable and each of your regular blocks is now a crit block.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntwat View Post
    and then there's the hardcap when your dodge + parry + 5% + Critical block = 102,5%
    Actually, shouldn't the hardcap rather be like Critical Block = 100%, because it's applied to every Block and is therefore a chance multiplied with and not added to the Block chance?

10+ Year Old Account
    make a macro with:

Code:
    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage to be capped. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))
    then run that with SB up to check.

15+ Year Old Account
    @jesus: not what OP wants. he wants to know where the cap is, not where he currently is.

@krostas: you're right when he says, the cap for blocking is when critical block is 100%, because that would mean that you get both block and critical block to 100%, therefore if you block, it is a critical block. but that's a number no one ever will reach and if there would be theoretical gear for it, blizzard would change it. guaranteed. but that's not gonna happen because blizz already said quite a time ago, that the basic gear up to deathwing is already done. not finetuned maybe, but it's basically done (in terms of how much stam is on the gear, how much rating is on the gear, how much sockets etc).

@suntwat: first, it's 102.4 not 102.5 - if I remember this correctly. in this high rating requirements you would need (regarding dodge and parry), 0,1% can be quite much rating and CAN make the differente.
    second, as krostas basically already said, the hardcap for block is, when every block would be a critical block (aka both at 100% then). but as soon as you hit the hardcap for unhittable (dodge+block+parry = 97,4%), mastery and therefore block are losing value, because further mastery only increases your critical block chance and because critical block is a percentage of block only [1] it is much less valuable, making dodge and parry the better choice to increase survivability.

[1] 60% block and 60% critical block would result in 24% block and 36% critical block on the hit table. 61/61 would result in absolute 23,79/37,21%. while 60/60 vs 61/61 looks like 2%, the actual gain is only 1,42% (12% difference vs 13,42% difference). still pretty good compared to diminishing of dodge and parry. but as soon as you are unhittable, you loose one percent of this, making it only 0,42% better, and I'm pretty sure, by the time you are unhittable, dodge and parry are better to focus on while maintaining unhittable.

but yeah, that's nothing we should care about right now. the calculation for where your personal block-soft-cap is, was posted by me above. I went far too offtopic once again :>

so with my current gear, i'm over the soft cap and when i ran the macro, i'm over by 2% or so...

my guess is to work it up to be hardcapped for raids? or is this a good point to start balancing stam gems with avoid/mitigation gems?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    second, as krostas basically already said, the hardcap for block is, when every block would be a critical block (aka both at 100% then). but as soon as you hit the hardcap for unhittable (dodge+block+parry = 97,4%), mastery and therefore block are losing value, because further mastery only increases your critical block chance and because critical block is a percentage of block only [1] it is much less valuable, making dodge and parry the better choice to increase survivability.
    I'm with you there, just that I don't really believe that Mastery looses that much value altogether.
    When aiming at the softcap, Mastery undisputedly is the most valuable stat. Now Crit-Block is something you're happy to have but are not really aiming at right there. But once you've passed the softcap (or even regular cap for that matter), you'll already have lots of Crit-Block accumulated. So lets say you'll be having 70% of Block when you hit the regular Block-Cap. This'll leave you with a Crit-Block Chance of roughly 50% (if I'm not mistaken). From there on, using Shield Block will push your chance to Crit-Block by a full 25%, giving you just another softcap to hit (a soft-hardcap, if you so want).

And that's with mastery worth just 25% more of Crit-Block than when you got your regular cap.

I agree with you though, that the real hardcap will most probably be unreachable and the so-called soft-hardcap will only be achievable with top raid gear of T13 content or the like, excessively gemming, enchanting and reforging for mastery.