Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Too many spells!

Hi! As a frost mage, I have noticed that we have a lot of spells that need to be key-bound. Even though there is no shortage of keys, I find myself having to actually `think` about where a spell is; I should be able to access all my spells (even the rarely used ones) with ease.

I find that it is effecting my game play; during arenas- where things should be fast and effective- I find myself slowed by the `thought` of casting a spell.

So, my questions are:
    Are there any spells that do without a binding, due to there rare use?
    &
    Are there any `less obvious` keys that provide a good binding?

Thanks for your time. All the best.

try using a shift modifier macro?

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod;shift] spell 1 ; spell 2

holding shift will reveal the spell under it aka i got 24 keybinds! on 12 buttons
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod;shift] spell 1 ; spell 2

holding shift will reveal the spell under it aka i got 24 keybinds! on 12 buttons
    Add alt as a mod and you got 36 :P

Deleted
    Thank you! I'd heard about this; I didn't understand it at all! But, now I understand it, it seems very useful.
    Thanks for the help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just struggle for a while and it will come naturally, trust me. Accommodating to key bindings after being a clicker or accommodating to completely new key bindings is a pain for a while but always turns out for the better. It's not a good idea to get a relapse and wanting to unbind spells because you can't remember them fast enough. Just make sure your keybinds are visible until you're used to it.

As for your second question: get a mouse with extra buttons. This is the best advice I can give you peripherals across the board. Once you get one you'll never be able to play without it. I also unbound the targetnearestenemytarget function off of tab and bound spells there, it allows for 3 more keybinds with alt and shift modifiers, the original tab function isn't all that fantastic when it cuts to the chase, you'll want more accuracy in what you target than that.

---------- Post added 2011-01-31 at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift] spell 1; [nomod]spell 2

Fixed that for ya.

Deleted
    Thanks! As for the mouse- I just spent £30 on a new one! So, I won't be getting a new one for a while. However, I will definitely try the tab key. Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added 2011-01-31 at 09:14 PM ----------

Could you paste the macro, as if you were going to add alt aswell, please. Thanks your the help.

10+ Year Old Account
    96.87% of the time, in my room. The other 3.13%? Pooping.
    Let's see, bottom bar first, then top bar, I'll list my key bindings..
    1, Ctrl-1, Q, Ctrl-Q, Alt-Q, E, Ctrl-R, Alt-R, Alt-F, C, Ctrl-C, Alt-C
    R, F, Z, 4, Ctrl-4, Ctrl-MouseWheelUp, Ctrl-MouseWheelDown, Ctrl-F, Ctrl-X, X, Ctrl-E, Alt-E.
    I think that's both bars, but I could be wrong.
    Anyway, I use 1,2,3,4,Q,E,R,F,C,X,Z and shift/alt/ctrl versions of each, although I could do better by changing my movement keys to ESDF so I could keybind..
    1,2,3,4,5,Q,W,R,T,G,V,C,X,Z. A few more keys, same movement.

Deleted
    Thanks for the help!

Button 1: Ice Lance
    Button 2: Deep Freeze
    Button 3: Frost Nova
    Button 4: Pet Nova

Grats your an average frost mage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ3ster View Post

You forgot Ring of Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ3ster View Post

Grats, you're an average MMO poster.

like most classes in pvp, practice, learn your class and all of its abilities...

theres not a ridiculous ammount of abilities, maybe just a FEW key binds needed.. with 24 binds, you must be on crack summoning portals during pvp or something

just my 2 cents.. Get good, practice ur class, not that many USEFULL abilities.

Deleted
    Thanks for the advice. And as for the 24 binds: ice lance, CoC, deep freeze, frostbolt, frostfire, counterspell, spellsteal, nova, pet nova, RoF, cold snap, icy veins, ice barrier, mage ward, blink, mana shield, trinkets, evo, mana gem, poly, fire blast...... near enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    Just struggle for a while and it will come naturally, trust me. Accommodating to key bindings after being a clicker or accommodating to completely new key bindings is a pain for a while but always turns out for the better. It's not a good idea to get a relapse and wanting to unbind spells because you can't remember them fast enough. Just make sure your keybinds are visible until you're used to it.

As for your second question: get a mouse with extra buttons. This is the best advice I can give you peripherals across the board. Once you get one you'll never be able to play without it. I also unbound the targetnearestenemytarget function off of tab and bound spells there, it allows for 3 more keybinds with alt and shift modifiers, the original tab function isn't all that fantastic when it cuts to the chase, you'll want more accuracy in what you target than that.

---------- Post added 2011-01-31 at 10:08 PM ----------

Fixed that for ya.
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift]Widow Venom ; Serpent Sting

works perfectly so why waste the space on a nomod? i only use 1 modifier per macro so
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by pgtiipsbaze View Post
    Could you paste the macro, as if you were going to add alt aswell, please. Thanks your the help.
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift] spell 1; [mod:alt] spell 2; spell 3

This should work. You can also use [mod:ctrl] if you prefer using the control key. [nomod] is not needed. Good luck!

I've got ctrl, alt and shift modifier keys (as well as the regular keys) bound to spells/macros -

q, e, r, t, g, f, z, x, c, v, mouse 3, mouse 4, mouse 5 (since most ppl have at least a mouse with 5 buttons, I actually have a naga so I have more), 1, 2, 3 ,4, 5, 6.

wasd are forward/back/strafe left and right and I exclusively use the mouse to turn.

Also have spacebar bound to jump and I use the tilde key also. Don't use the tab key (not really needed for what I've got, but you could).

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you have multiple toons, keep similar moves with the same key bind. For example "r" on my mage an shaman are interrupts, ans Shift "R" is Poly/Hex. Makes jumping between toons way easier. Just a thought.

I don't use keybindings so i wouldn't know.

Personally i got the g13 and it is amazing for making binds easier. Well that and i have the naga, its the only way i can comfortably pvp as lock and hunter when you run 80+binds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahll View Post
    If you have multiple toons, keep similar moves with the same key bind. For example "r" on my mage an shaman are interrupts, ans Shift "R" is Poly/Hex. Makes jumping between toons way easier. Just a thought.
    Also do this although I mostly just play my mage.