Thread: Frustrated :-(

Wink Frustrated :-(

Ok, so I only play ONE character, 85 mage and I'm very frustrated with the information online to get me up and going. I have completed Loremaster of Cata so questing is not an issue. I am currently Arcane but after reading up on here it seems FIRE is the way to go? I really don't understand the new gear and some of the language used in responses so anyone who advises me please use non game lingo lol. I know my bad!

I HATE my dps even though I generally run in top or second place, I have gone as high as 29,000 dps but then go down to 7k? Is my rotation wrong or should I go fire? And ANY help with how to dress myself now would be appreciated GREATLY........as well as a review of my talents?

Thanks for the time in advance, have never joined one of these sites but found alot of current responses and positive, helpful responses so thought I would give it a try....LIVE IN ILLINOIS, ABOUT TO GET BURIED IN SNOW!!!! SNOW DAY=WOW DAY LOL! OH, Volarias on Armory - LLANE - Silent Reign :-)
    Last edited by VOLARIAS; 2011-01-31 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Forgot Something

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLARIAS View Post
    :
    I HATE my dps even though I generally run in top or second place, I have gone as high as 29,000 dps but then go down to 7k?
    Welcome to arcane mate In my opinion you should play a spec you like rather then go for the highest dps spec, no offense but I get the feeling you aint really raiding much so if you like arcane go for it.

The thing about arcane is that you start out with some really nice dmg output (dps) but it get's lower when you're mana gets lower. So you want every AB (arcane blast) to hit for as much as possible and not to miss it as well. So you want to get hit capped (17% hit) and get shitloads of intellect. Arcane's mastery increases your dmg by all spells calculated by the amount of mana you got left, so the more mana the harder spells hit. So if you run low on mana or even OOM (out of mana) you will basicly do shit dps

Therefore it is important to keep your mana high as long as possible, use your mana gems to get to 100% again, use evocation wisely and keep in mind you can remove your dmg buff / mana cost incr stacks by using AM when it procs.

If you want to go fire i'd suggest you read the fire thread on EJ (elitist jerks.com) and there's probably a (fire)mage guide on these forums as well.

gl

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I kinda get what you are saying, I used to be fire and really liked it but everyone said go Arcane so I did. My husband is the GM for our guild so I kinda feel a little pressure to get myself up and ready for more raiding but I give it my best and it never seems to improve. Maybe my talent points are wrong or glyphs?

If you're raiding anything besides Baradin's Hold there's really no point in going Arcane. If you're looking to do the highest dps possible I would suggest frost for entry level gear, and once you pick a good amount of epics you should switch to fire (besides obvious aoe fights where fire is better). ATM fire has some big mana and rng problems at low gear levels, but next patch the mana problems are being fixed so it will be a bit better with less gear. A fire as well as frost guide can be found in the stickes or on elitistjerks.com.

Use Mage armor, not Molten Armor. it will help keep high mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Use Mage armor, not Molten Armor. it will help keep high mana.
    Scorch weaving with molten armor has been calculated to produce higher dps numbers than mage armor with no scorch weaving does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlendorn View Post
    Scorch weaving with molten armor has been calculated to produce higher dps numbers than mage armor with no scorch weaving does.
    I think he meant for as arcane....otherwise you're correct
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Yeah buddy!! GO ILLINOIS WOW PLAYERS!

I'm home from work due to some surgery, so, I get to enjoy the blizzard from the comforts of my home

EDIT: wow.....that was REALLY my first post.....I lurked a long time before I made an account. yowza.
    Last edited by Neolithic; 2011-02-01 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDefier View Post
    ATM fire has some big mana and rng problems at low gear levels, but next patch the mana problems are being fixed so it will be a bit better with less gear.
    I wish they would fix the RNG aspect, mana is not as much a issue as the dependency on crit luck.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    I wish they would fix the RNG aspect, mana is not as much a issue as the dependency on crit luck.
    I totally agree with you. Apart from 3 heroic blue's im full epic and I feel like it doesn't matter how good my gear is, when I dont crit i do shit dps (around 10/12k) and when im lucky enough my dps can go as high as 25k..

We just got a new mage into our guild, he wasn't gemmed or enchanted correctly because he just had quest blue's (333) and some 346 pieces and that was about it. He outdps'ed me on trash sometimes, then i looked at his fireball crit rate from those fights and it was around 46% where mine was around 23% xP With that he would be on like 16k dps and i would be on 13kish or smth :P

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel