Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Magmaw DK Adds Kiting

Anyone done it?

Seems some of the guildies were having trouble coordinating to get out of the adds with all of them at ranged, and it sounds like the GL may want me to do the frost kiting. I know I'll have to be in BP and drop DnD and then HB the shit out of them, but any other tips from people? Is chillblains necessary, and if so is it suggested to get both points or is the 25% slow good enough? Also, is the strat to just leave them alive the whole time except for ones that die to my own abilities, or will the ranged guys want to be AoEing them down as well since I'll have the aggro from BP?

Thanks in advance for any help.

We just have a 2nd tank tank all the adds and don't bother kiting them. Just have the ranged chuck down some AoE when the adds get busy.

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6WMqo5fpg

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol you have a tank actually stand there and tank the adds... sounds as inefficient as it gets.

having a DK kite them is just a silly waste of dps as there are many other classes that have better uses of their abilities. and forcing a DK not use his fullest potential (meaning cannot melee) and other casters can use the entirety of their abilities (since they DON'T auto attack or melee with strikes)

granted yes adds are a priority but there are better ways to handle it.
    Last edited by Avatar Killer; 2011-02-01 at 05:00 PM.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Well this is a way of dealing with magmaw and the spawning wurms.

I did it 2 times myself went perfectly. I specced in 2h frost with chillblains ofc and kept spamming HW and as soon as they spawn DnD.
    In this case your range dps is not dealing with the adds.

But as Shadet says i also suggest keep moving between 2 spots and just nuke them down with your range. Keep the melee on the boss. Easiest way and works perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    lol you have a tank actually stand there and tank the adds... sounds as inefficient as it gets.
    Yep i'm sure it's inefficient in a way, but it means only having one person at range and everyone else stood in melee. Only 1 person has to deal with moving while everyone else can just focus on Killing Magmaw. We also tend to tank swap after the mangle as well to make healing a tad easier. Just the way we do it, it works, can't complain!

Deleted
    As dk tank in my guild, I just go frost-spec and kite with 50% slow from howling blast. DnD should always be ready to get initial agro, and you can pretty much kite them as much as you want, we only assign our mage to kill them, and I am not sure if he use that many spells even then. This is just normal though, no idea about heroic changes. But it IS effective, and if you know what to do, most people can just hit the boss while you cc and kill them with howling (and as i said, probably assisted by one). I also experienced the worms only hit the one with threat/agro, atleast we've initially melee hitting them and they never got jumped. Ofcourse, this would mean blood presence is a great threat boost to ensure even a fury warrior wtf aoe burst wont pull them from you ;p
    Last edited by mmoc987cc13f6a; 2011-02-01 at 05:07 PM.

Frost dks kiting ANY group of more than 3 mobs is by a mile the easiest way to do it. AND its not a waste of dps, because while spamming HB to aoe slow the adds, you're also doing a lot of dps. I was kiting last week on magmaw, ended up with 2nd top damage and the achievement. You can't beat frost Dk kiting with anything.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its quite easy to kite them as frost DK, and yes, you need chillblains for that.
    Just drop DnD prior their arrival then simply kite them with HB. Oh, and make sure no one helps you with their frost traps or it might screw things up. If you have trouble, ask mage to give you an hand and freeze them for a few seconds.
    When you kite them with HB, first hit worm crowd in the center then near the sides so all of them will be affected with HB and chillblains.
    That's all.

P.S. You don't need to be in tank gear, just use your normal dps equip and Blood presence.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have JUST the DK kiting the adds by himself the adds will take forever to die but yes this would keep only 1 person from targeting the boss. point in case is that you can have a caster do this too. having a mage who does less damage than DKs currently would still not kill the adds and could kite them around the room the same way and would give the raid more damage from the DK DPSing the boss. you can slice it anyway you want it is a waste of dps to have a DK do it though it is still doable. Then again DKs can DW while in blood spec but you don't do that either.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.

We have a frost DK kite them around through the whole fight, and everyone else stays on Magmaw. We tried having ranged AoE them down, but it was more trouble than it was worth, with aggro issues and fight length. If the adds die they die, if they don't they don't, it doesn't matter to us anymore. Everyone except the active tank and the DK stands right on the boss' rear, so that leaves only one target for adds to spawn on. He has both points in chillblains, and howling blast is enough to slow everything down. Our hunter sometimes drops a frost trap or our mage a circle-of-freeze-everything (whatever it's called), but those are helpful, not necessary. The only real issue we have is that the DK often gets out of healing range during his kiting, and his health starts dropping (Magmaw likes targetting people outside melee range with his random lava spit stuff). Communication is important there - we tell him he's doing it wrong, he comes back, and life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by shadet View Post
    Yep i'm sure it's inefficient in a way, but it means only having one person at range and everyone else stood in melee. Only 1 person has to deal with moving while everyone else can just focus on Killing Magmaw. We also tend to tank swap after the mangle as well to make healing a tad easier. Just the way we do it, it works, can't complain!
    You can also have everyone else stack on the tanks for it with having someone kite it.

For my guild, I'm the one who does the kiting.

My spec personally is:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary

(Note: For 10 man)
    Generally, the rest of the dps just focuses the boss. Occasionally the lock will help aoe, but it's not really needed. I don't have a video up for that one, because my computer took a shit. I stay at range, rest of the raid stacked close next to the tanks. You want them to be very close so that they are not considered "at range" so the pillar is always dropped on you. Because my OCD running, when the pillar spawns I'm already a good distance away. I drop a DnD, and HB spam the adds down. Blood Tab is a wonderful thing, as is a mastery on use trinket. If you have 2, you can make sure there's always one up for each spawn.

From there, it's simple kiting

10+ Year Old Account
    i will say to add to my other posts... in a 10 man with limited class use a DK for that particular fight kiting adds while still a dps loss is sufficient and effective. if you have a competent ranged to kite the adds its a dps loss otherwise a competent DK with chilblains (speced for this fight) is a good choice (since you don't have a better one)
    for 25 man if you still do this you have bigger issues.

having a DK kite them is just a silly waste of dps as there are many other classes that have better uses of their abilities. and forcing a DK not use his fullest potential (meaning cannot melee) and other casters can use the entirety of their abilities (since they DON'T auto attack or melee with strikes)

granted yes adds are a priority but there are better ways to handle it.
    See I'm going to disagree with you here. I'm a frost DK and I'm FORCED to spend much of the fight at ranged, and it has nothing to do with the adds. Why you ask? Because the boss threat is STUPID on this fight. I don't know if it's the tank getting picked up or what, but after the first exposed head spike thing, if I get anywhere NEAR the boss he aggros and 1-shots me. I start off the fight in melee and stay there until the first wave of adds, then I drop DnD and run back to state killing/kiting the adds. I then sit with the ranged for a few seconds waiting for the next wave, with the occasional run to melee when the head is exposed.

Maybe I'm the wierd one here, but I can't get near melee range due to his threat half the time, even WITH salvation.

i will say to add to my other posts... in a 10 man with limited class use a DK for that particular fight kiting adds while still a dps loss is sufficient and effective. if you have a competent ranged to kite the adds its a dps loss otherwise a competent DK with chilblains (speced for this fight) is a good choice (since you don't have a better one)
    for 25 man if you still do this you have bigger issues.
    This

For example, my normal group is:
    UH DK
    Mut rogue
    Enh shaman
    Aff lock
    Ele shaman
    Pally tank
    Warrior tank
    Resto druid
    Holy Priest
    Holy Paladin

We could have the tanks do it, but that's a lot of extra unneeded healing, and a large part of the damage comes during the impaled phase anyway. By then, I have the worms all dead solo.

Unfortunately, we're a pretty small guild and have had trouble fielding a solid 10 man with a not great geared second tank and probably some not so ready raiders (don't have a mage to bring for this). Maybe this is or isn't the best strategy, but given our inability to down him yet, I think our raid leader was looking to maybe try a different direction which is why I was asking. Sure my dps may go down (AoE on adds doesn't really matter b/c I'm not hitting the boss), but given that its not a dps race and more just a mechanic based fight, the loss of my optimized melee maybe won't be big if it allows the other guys to not worry about the adds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    See I'm going to disagree with you here. I'm a frost DK and I'm FORCED to spend much of the fight at ranged, and it has nothing to do with the adds. Why you ask? Because the boss threat is STUPID on this fight. I don't know if it's the tank getting picked up or what, but after the first exposed head spike thing, if I get anywhere NEAR the boss he aggros and 1-shots me. I start off the fight in melee and stay there until the first wave of adds, then I drop DnD and run back to state killing/kiting the adds. I then sit with the ranged for a few seconds waiting for the next wave, with the occasional run to melee when the head is exposed.

Maybe I'm the wierd one here, but I can't get near melee range due to his threat half the time, even WITH salvation.
    the problem here is you are too close. the boss agros the first person it sees in range who is the closest. this is why you keep dying. try staying at max melee range next time.

This fight is super easy with a frost DK specced into chillblains, no matter what people are saying about it being a dps loss. That is simply not true, because NO ONE but the DK has to focus on adds. I do this every week for my guild, and it would be much more of a dps loss to have all the ranged dps have to turn, use expensive AoE spells, and then turn back to the boss and resume dps.

Howling Blast is almost spammable, and I usually come out as top dps on the fight. I hit HB as much as I can and use DnD when the adds spawn, with myself and the hunters being the only people at range. Since you can not let the adds hit you, frost strike is a bad choice here, so I use death coil for runic empowerment procs.

10+ Year Old Account
    any way you slice it you still come out to the same answer. do you 25 man the adds Achilles21? or is it 10 man?

I tanked it as a blood DK because I'm the main tank for the guild and get to do all the hard jobs on bosses, such as add kiting on magmaw and nef. As blood it is very easy. Make sure you have bone shield glyph and blood boil glyph. What you do is simple, as soon as the circle on the ground appears which signifies the adds are spawning, drop a dnd right on it and get in like a 10 yard range and spam blood boil as many times as possible, as soon as your 2nd dnd is up adds should be spawning within 5 seconds again, drop it in the circle and blood boil them. They naturally move at 50% speed so the 15% speed increase you get from boneshield glyph makes you move quick enough to avoid ever getting hit by them, my guild already has the parasite achievement due to this. I kite 4-6 set of adds during the fight depending on how fast the dps burns magmaw, never had any problems.

It works, very well I might add. My 10 man raid has only the frost DK in ranged, while everyone else who isn't the MT, standing with the melee DPS.

With a DnD dropped just before they spawn, and a howling blast nuke, the DK can get a nice chunk of agro.

It's a great tactic because it gives the other DPS a few extra seconds to be AOEing the worms down instead of having to run to a new position.