Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just did it this week as we prepped for heroic Magmaw. Same spec as used in heroic Conclave.

1) AoE slow (chilled blizzard/shadowpriest/hunter trap/whatever)
    2) Slap all ranged AoE on the spot
    3) ????
    4) Profit

This way, they won't get five yards from where the yspawn, and their life expectancy is a one-digit amount of seconds. If you can't get it done like this, you either
    A) Have a poor raid composition without enough ranged or
    B) Don't move fast enough. Start executing the fight properly.

Thought I'd also point out for DK tanks that AMS does block the debuff caused by the adds that causes a second one to spawn. I'm actually interested in finding out how much of them an Unholy DK could absorb.

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobegreen View Post
    This is wrong. The tank that gets ate by Magmaw can still hit Magmaw while in his mouth. You can still pop cool downs too. You have to retarget Magmaw once your inside.
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?72554-Magmaw "and after 30 seconds, he will be unable to take any action while Magmaw does his omnomnom thing."

http://www.wowwiki.com/Magmaw "Mangle swallows the current tank, so the other tank must now taunt." if using two tanks else "The Mangled tank will be unable to target Magmaw himself; however, he CAN target Magmaw's Point of Vulnerability"

want another site to prove that same idea?
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?72554-Magmaw "and after 30 seconds, he will be unable to take any action while Magmaw does his omnomnom thing."

http://www.wowwiki.com/Magmaw "Mangle swallows the current tank, so the other tank must now taunt." if using two tanks else "The Mangled tank will be unable to target Magmaw himself; however, he CAN target Magmaw's Point of Vulnerability"

Magmaw and his head when it's down are the same thing for all intents and purposes. They share the same hp's, you just have to retarget. The tank can do stuff while being eaten.

So many people mess up the transition because they don't understand it. When magmaw pops back up only the tank should be in melee range, Magmaw doesn't move around, so that way the tank gets the first hit and can taunt to climb back up the aggro table. This happens quick, and melee/ranged that should still be by the spike are able to run back to the cliff and dps. This fight really is easy and has very safe ways of doing it that no one should really mess up on. But they still do because they don't take the time to figure out what is really going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    The whole point of "kiting" is that the adds don't need to die and thus it doesn't matter a jot if they're killed before the next set spawn, because it's just as easy to kite 20 mobs as it is 10 mobs.

Let me break it down for you:

Strat one: Tanking them
    One person taking care of adds by themselves
    Not expected to kill the worms
    If for some reason they have no adds to tank they can hit the boss for mediocre damage (tank gear and spec)
    The rest of the raid focusses on the boss
    Healing required on tank

Strat two: kiting them
    One person taking care of adds by themselves
    Not expected to kill the worms, but can end up happening
    If for some reason they have no adds to tank they can hit the boss for good damage (DPS gear and spec)
    The rest of the raid focusses on the boss
    No healing required on kiter outside regular raid healing from unavoidable damage

How can you POSSIBLY say that tanking them is more efficient?
    Exactly what he said. Either way you lose 1 and only one person. Even if in both cases they *never* kill the adds, case 2 is obviously superior due to the no healing required. And I hope you're not saying a tank can kill the worms faster than HB spam

Deleted
    Im a DK Frost, and im usually at melee, when adds pops i moove with ranged, DnD and spam Howling Blast, i get aggro, i go back to melee and the caster finish them off. If i have adds and Magmaw down in the spike at the same moment, i kite adds while the rangeds nuke down magmaw head, then i go back to boss as soon as i finish with them.

For that you must have the 2 talent points for 50% movement reduced with Frost Fever!

I hope it helped, good luck

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidrage View Post
    Magmaw and his head when it's down are the same thing for all intents and purposes. They share the same hp's, you just have to retarget. The tank can do stuff while being eaten.

So many people mess up the transition because they don't understand it. When magmaw pops back up only the tank should be in melee range, Magmaw doesn't move around, so that way the tank gets the first hit and can taunt to climb back up the aggro table. This happens quick, and melee/ranged that should still be by the spike are able to run back to the cliff and dps. This fight really is easy and has very safe ways of doing it that no one should really mess up on. But they still do because they don't take the time to figure out what is really going on.
    first part: no argument there about the body head thing though taunting the head means nothing in any way shape or form since it doesn't attack you in this fashion as it is attacking the tank in his mouth.

second part: this only means that the tank now has to taunt while NOT in his mouth because he lost agro while not being able to attack the part of the boss that agro applies to (the body) correct. which is what i said earlier. if a Melee other than the tank attacks the boss while in close proximity (melee range) without a taunt BEFORE the tank regains the lost agro, he gets killed. pretty simple concept that i expressed in a previous post also.
    Last edited by Avatar Killer; 2011-02-03 at 08:04 PM.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

first part: no argument there about the body head thing though taunting the head means nothing in any way shape or form since it doesn't attack you in this fashion as it is attacking the tank in his mouth.

second part: this only means that the tank now has to taunt while NOT in his mouth because he lost agro while not being able to attack the part of the boss that agro applies to (the body) correct. which is what i said earlier. if a Melee other than the tank attacks the boss while in close proximity (melee range) without a taunt BEFORE the tank regains the lost agro, he gets killed. pretty simple concept that i expressed in a previous post also.
    No disagreement. The head phase has no meaningful aggro, the transition requires everyone stay outside of melee range till the tank gets aggro. Which should be easy since people should be by the spike to dps his head. It just takes a 1 second pause before people go running back to the cliff to dps the head.

In my case melee/range stand in the same spot and I do adds by myself. But either way, tank should be only one in melee range when magmaw pops back up.

As a tank who has been in there I've always been able to attack Magmaw from inside. Any decent tank will have aggro the instant Magmaw raises back up. It doesn't require two tanks. I'm talking about 10 man normal.

My guild does this with one tank on Magmaw and the other tank kiting adds. The add tank never has to tank Magmaw for any duration at all. Nobody dies from aggro. I've never had a problem attacking Magmaw from the inside either. I don't think I'm ever in there more than 30 seconds to begin with. You get to chain him pretty quickly after he eats the tank.

I have done every strat for Magmaw.. Heroic 10-25 strat, as well as normal 10-25 strats.. To be honest, I have never.. NEVER as a tank had to kite the parasites. We had a hunter go Entrapment and its GG as long as people are smart with pillar avoiding and kiting adds and being good at AoE. If anything, while tanking Magmaw I will drop a Death and Decay and blood boil a few times when the parasites are at 50% so that by the time they get to my position they will be dead to allow more time to set up ranged/heals groups better for next pillar phase.

---------- Post added 2011-02-04 at 06:34 AM ----------

Also.. When Magmaws head goes back up He drops aggro, So to counter this so called "over aggro theory".. Just simply re taunt Magmaw as soon as he gets out of the "head" phase...

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest unholy presence as no-one will be attacking them, the extra rune regen and movement speed will help. Don't refresh howling blast to soon and you'll be fine. Keep blood tap bound for emergency situations.

not sure how you figure thats possible since the target being eaten cannot perform tasks on the target eating him. apparently you havent actually fought him. the whole reason for the OT is to get agro off the melee while the MT is in his mouth.
    I've tanked him many times...

Never used an OT, you can taunt him while you're being eaten.

---------- Post added 2011-02-04 at 07:46 PM ----------

Don't need a website when I've actually done it every reset since cata release and you can target magmaw(not the head) while being eaten and taunt it to jump back up to top of the threat table.

Once you find out how wrong you are I hope you'll feel really stupid.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=enbee
    -> I might be logged out in protpvpgear

Kiting it is just much cleaner. Not to mention it is pretty much required on HM so might as well get started...

btw this is perfectly possible to be solo tanked on 10m normal. In fact I dare say you can probably solo tank it on 25m with enough gear. I've solo tanked it on my alt with full blues (a lot 333s) and I didn't even know I was supposed to taunt (never taunted in fact). I just knew to pop some CDs when I got picked up.
    Last edited by Jinto; 2011-02-04 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadet View Post
    We just have a 2nd tank tank all the adds and don't bother kiting them. Just have the ranged chuck down some AoE when the adds get busy.

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6WMqo5fpg
    Very interesting way of killing magmaw.