View Poll Results: Would a meteor with the size of Texas wipe out earth?

Voters
336. This poll is closed
  • Yes

273 81.25%
  • No

63 18.75%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Folc View Post
    Comparing humans to dinosaurs is just not the best way to prove your point.
    Not sure what you're getting at here?

If a 6 mile meteor/asteroid/whatever the hell the name for them is killed the dinosaurs, it would kill humans too. Doesn't matter how advanced/evolved you are, you're knee deep in it if it hits.

Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    I like the very end of the article:

"Let's hope that doesn't happen anytime soon!"

They could not have just stopped at "happen"?
    It's pretty much an inevitability.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I'm sure humanity will wipe itself first

^
    this
    http://img3.abload.de/img/kalysigqgll.gif
    (As nice as your signature is, it's too large, sorry )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samalas View Post
    Not sure what you're getting at here?

If a 6 mile meteor/asteroid/whatever the hell the name for them is killed the dinosaurs, it would kill humans too. Doesn't matter how advanced/evolved you are, you're knee deep in it if it hits.
    I was just saying that the chances of all humans being wiped out if a meteor the size of Texas hit Texas is a bit small imo.
    Not every n00b is a bad player, but every bad player is a n00b.

Quote Originally Posted by Samalas View Post
    Doesn't matter how advanced/evolved you are, you're knee deep in it if it hits.
    Considering the fact that any reasonably well built bunker would shield you from pretty much any kind of impact unless it's a direct hit on the bunker and the fact that IF a meteor of that size was to hit earth, we would know years in advance. This means that a LOT of people would be sitting in comfortable little bunkers all over the earth, probably on the side of the earth the meteor is NOT going to hit.

People would survive, no question about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Takanasi View Post
    Considering the fact that any reasonably well built bunker would shield you from pretty much any kind of impact unless it's a direct hit on the bunker and the fact that IF a meteor of that size was to hit earth, we would know years in advance. This means that a LOT of people would be sitting in comfortable little bunkers all over the earth, probably on the side of the earth the meteor is NOT going to hit.

because said bunker is resistant to magma and constant earthquakes?

Imagine Earths whole crust shifting violently.

And you're inside it.

In what might as well be a tin can compared to... you know... tectonic plates with impossibly large quakes.

You're dead.

*edit*
    That came off as me being a bit of a dick, but, yeah. >.> Anyways, even if a meteor of that size were headed for us, it's quite possible we'd never see it coming. If it was coming at an angle from "behind" the sun and would impact Earth as our Orbit comes around, the notice would probably be extremely short. I can't really post about it as if I know, everything I've seen/read is pretty much the standard 1 hour show you see on Natgeo every now and then.
    Last edited by Samalas; 2011-02-02 at 07:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

With the surface being on fire for hundreds of years, why would you want to. As humans, being underground would be like living in a spaceship. It really wouldn't last long.

10+ Year Old Account
    that video is gonna give me nightmares now......

Why don't you just calculate it ...

http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth

Flash simulator on what the damage of an astroid will be if it hit earth under certain conditions.
    No Screenshot. No Signature. From WMV or Ingame. Make it big.

Watch me create signatures on Youtube here - Watch my signature gallery here

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. A meteor doesn't need to be big to cause large impact.
    The impact itself wouldn't kill all life on earth, the nuclear winter it brings on would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

To be entirely truthful, there's a hundred different speculations and simulations. We honestly don't know what the damage would be like. Our only evidence of what it's truly like is in the remnants of ancient impacts, and the closest we have to first-hand information is when that comet broke up and smashed into Jupiter a while back.

A meteor is just weak. I always figured we'd be wiped out by a bio-mechanical android with god like powers made from the cells of the greatest fighters to ever live. +1 Internets to whoever gets the refrence

Quote Originally Posted by Gregwar View Post
    I'm sure humanity will wipe itself first
    I wiped myself this morning.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senedra View Post
    that video is gonna give me nightmares now......
    Heh, same here, every time I think about it scares me. It would be amazing to see, but really sad at the same time

10+ Year Old Account
    The meteor that killed the dinosaurs was 6 miles/10 kilometers in diameter.
    Texas is 790 miles/1270 kilometers in length.
    So the meteor would be about 127 times larger than the one that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Chances are, if it didn't destroy the earth, it would at least beat the shit out of everywhere. Living in a bunker might help for a while, but chances are you will run out of food. I don't think the earths surface would be able to contain things like livestock or crops.

Of course, there will always be the Twinkie factory.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toggin View Post
    I wiped myself this morning.
    haha this made me laugh so hard

Quote Originally Posted by Whitcher View Post
    The impact itself wouldn't kill all life on earth, the nuclear winter it brings on would.
    No, the impact of a meteor the size of Texas would basically kill us all instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    I like the very end of the article:

"Let's hope that doesn't happen anytime soon!"

They could not have just stopped at "happen"?
    Why? It will happen, it's happened several times before. It happening again is really a probability.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2011-02-02 at 08:12 AM.

depends, meteors the size of texas enter our atmosphere but disintergrate, we talking size of texas when it hits? if so, then no, not all life but a shit load of it
    _ _
    idunolulz \(o_0)/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
    depends, meteors the size of texas enter our atmosphere but disintergrate, we talking size of texas when it hits? if so, then no, not all life but a shit load of it
    lol, a meteor the size of texas ain't gonna disintegrate, go back to school