View Poll Results: Would a meteor with the size of Texas wipe out earth?

Voters
336. This poll is closed
  • Yes

273 81.25%
  • No

63 18.75%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    purdue.edu/impactearth <--- Awesome !!

Play God and see it for yourself mate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Why? It will happen, it's happened several times before. It happening again is really a probability.
    Several times? O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    A meteor is just weak. I always figured we'd be wiped out by a bio-mechanical android with god like powers made from the cells of the greatest fighters to ever live. +1 Internets to whoever gets the refrence
    Hi Cell, the names is aurawin I loved you in DBZ although to be quite honest that android you ate was hot so yeah. nice day.

OT: Size of texas? Looks like its time to find out who is right about god XD.

Well, hopefully by the time a giant meteor is ready to wipe out earth we'll have militarized space, then we can just vaporize it with a giant super lazer!

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    surely it depends on several factors... the speed of the asteroid and the density of it composition. As for "if one will hit earth" its more of "when it will happen".

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Several times? O.o
    At least six times, and that's only counting meteors that made that much of an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawin View Post
    Hi Cell, the names is aurawin I loved you in DBZ although to be quite honest that android you ate was hot so yeah. nice day.

OT: Size of texas? Looks like its time to find out who is right about god XD.
    Let it be known, this man has earned +1 internets.

A meteor the size of texas could easily knock the earth out of its orbit and into the sun. So yeah, it could destroy the earth.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Lol yes of course it would.

I can't believe anyone thinks we'd survive if a meteor the size of Texas hit the earth. The only thing that would survive such an impact would be waterbears and some bacteria.

As for the bunker argument... no, you still wouldn't survive. You might survive (and I'm saying might for argument's sake) the impact, but then what? The biosphere won't bounce back in time enough for us to successfully re-establish a foothold. You guys have to realize exactly HOW MUCH we depend on the animals, plants, etc. IIRC a meteor that size would essentially destroy our atmosphere. That means no oxygen and definitely nothing to shield us from the shit the sun constantly chucks us.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    it would wipe out any life on earth, but I doubt it will destroy the place
    I agree with this. It most likely wouldn't destroy the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    I agree with this. It most likely wouldn't destroy the planet.
    Isn't it gonna create some huge tsunami or shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Folc View Post
    I was just saying that the chances of all humans being wiped out if a meteor the size of Texas hit Texas is a bit small imo.
    Taking the size of Texas roughly 770 miles by 790 miles ... add a depth of 780 miles so that we have a three-dimensional meteor....
    Lets see, the space shuttle flies at an altitude of about 210 miles (unless going to the ISS)
    The ISS at an altitude of about 264 miles

So a meteor about 780 miles across is ... gonna end everyone's day.

Was anybody else expecting Deathwing to pop out all pissy with his chin from the magma in that video?

OT: Even if humans miraculously survived the impact, it would surely knock the earth into a different orbit, changing the climate immensely. Humans are very adaptable, but only to a certain degree. When placed in an oven with temps well over thousands of degrees a body would burn regardless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Well, it wont get destroyed, could break in half or something and create a second moon. It just, wont be able to have life on it like there is now because the surface will be on fire, literally. In a few hundred even thousand years, life will start over again. *Cue "It's the Circle of Life"
    No it wouldn´t. A meteor of that size would vaporize the oceans waters and kill every living organism on the planet, there won´t be anything left to restart the cycle of life..

Hell the last time a super volvano erupted (Under Tonga roughly 76.000 years ago) an estimated 50.000 people were all that was left on the planet.

I think it will kill about everything but small organism in the oceans

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    No it wouldn´t. A meteor of that size would vaporize the oceans waters and kill every living organism on the planet, there won´t be anything left to restart the cycle of life..

Hell the last time a super volvano erupted (Under Tonga roughly 76.000 years ago) an estimated 50.000 people were all that was left on the planet.
    To be fair, there were a lot less people back then to begin with.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ime_spiral.png

to give you some perspective of how long things have been going on before humans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event

10+ Year Old Account
    yea its been said already, it doesn't matter how far down you dig, if something that size hit earth you'd best be living on mars if you hope to live through it. i doubt that even that video posted earlier, though epic in its own right, is probably still in-accurate. the meteor that size would easily punch through the earth's crust and enter the inner layers of the planet's core. I'm sure it would melt there but the ripples in the magma would send cracks across the surface. so just setting everything on fire the way that video showed is still being nice about it.

so Who votes we jump start the space program now?
    O.o

If it was the size of texas, then you are talking about essentially a dwarf-planet sized body hitting the earth. Ceres, the largest asteroid in the asteroid belt, is considered a dwarf-planet, and it has a diameter of just under 1000km, which is actually smaller than texas. That means that if it collided with the earth at its current orbital speed (17.882 km/s (17882m/s)), then it would release about 1.5x10^29 J. To put this in perspective, you would need to drop 3603480716205 Hydrogen bombs at the same location in order to release the same amount of energy.

So yeah, smashing a dwarf-planet into Earth would cause a cataclysm that this planet hasn't seen for about 3.5 billion years, and yeah, chances are it would completely wipe life off the planet. Destroy it? No, you need to have a collision with a body that is many times larger before you start getting impacts that would cause planetary fractures.
    Last edited by berenzen; 2011-02-02 at 08:47 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post

It's happened before, see craters found all over the world, they may not be the size of Texas, but it'll still have the same effect afterwards. After the fire dies down and the world can "breathe" again. Life will be reborn. Life is a beautiful death, with death, brings new life. That is how life began for Earth.

Start at 2:50 and go on wards. (Epic video btw).