View Poll Results: Would a meteor with the size of Texas wipe out earth?

Voters
336. This poll is closed
  • Yes

273 81.25%
  • No

63 18.75%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregwar View Post
    I'm sure humanity will wipe itself first
    Lol yup. I agree.

And yes, a meteor that big will destroy Earth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Takanasi View Post
    The speed at which it hits plays a huge role. A meteor hitting earth at 10,000 mph vs a meteor hitting at 900,000,000 mph leave quite a different looking earths.

But I have to say it wouldn't. It would cause a global black out because of dust flying out and blocking the sun and so forth, but people would survive. A LOT of people would die, but many would survive.
    I sincerely hope you are joking, otherwise I don't know what to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    The speed at which it hits plays a huge role. A meteor hitting earth at 10,000 mph vs a meteor hitting at 900,000,000 mph leave quite a different looking earths.

But I have to say it wouldn't. It would cause a global black out because of dust flying out and blocking the sun and so forth, but people would survive. A LOT of people would die, but many would survive.
    LOL thats funny we would all die

The dust it would create would block out the sun, which we all need to live so yeh, pretty much

Well, it would wipe us (humans) out in a matter of minutes. Would not matter where it hit. It would obviously leave a hell of a crater on Earth, and really mess it up to say the least. Some life would manage to live on, particularly microscopic organisms and things, so I wouldn't say life would be annihalted as a whole. To put how much power a meteor that size is, a meteor traveling 35,000 mph that is 200x200x200 feet would level an entire city. Texas is a wee bit bigger than that.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2011-02-03 at 02:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely wreck the planet, making it look like Outland? Probably not.

Wipe out humanity? Most likely.

Wipe out all life on the planet? Possible, but not likely.

Life is tenacious, plain and simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Folc View Post
    Would a meteor with the size of Texas wipe out earth?
    If WoW's taught me anything, surely we could just eget everybody on earth to stand underneath the impact zone and all damage would be spread evenly? Surely a few sick children would die, but the rest of us would just take a slight bruising

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    A meteor is just weak. I always figured we'd be wiped out by a bio-mechanical android with god like powers made from the cells of the greatest fighters to ever live. +1 Internets to whoever gets the refrence
    Dragonball z. The cell saga.

---------- Post added 2011-02-03 at 05:33 AM ----------

Also if a comit that big hit the earth at enough speed and at a certain angle it could change the tilt of the planet and possible its orbit around the sun.

Either way we are fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Pretty much,

/thread.
    OH LOOK GAIZ, DEATHWING HAPPENED!!

Except in real life he's a giant ball of stuff instead of an internet dragon, and he leaves no survivors!

In all seriousness though, if the giant flaming ball of deathy doom doesn't kill us off, then the rotational push it causes will ultimately do Earth in from a life-supporting system stand point. But hey! We might just get another moon out of the ordeal!
    Last edited by SerenitySaz; 2011-02-03 at 05:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much,

/thread.
    anyone who thinks video is legit has my eternal sympathy. it has been proven wrong a hundred times over and the japanese made. how many more indications of fail do you need?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    anyone who thinks video is legit has my eternal sympathy. it has been proven wrong a hundred times over and the japanese made. how many more indications of fail do you need?
    There wont be a legit video of a meteor that size hitting Earth. The impact will be equal to that, if not more, it may not engulf the whole Earth in flames, but it wont split the Earth in half like people are saying, just a pretty massive dent, but yea, every living thing on it will die.

Comparing humans to dinosaurs is just not the best way to prove your point.
    yeah.... dinosaurs lived for millions of years and lived of rotten flesh and shit. how many humans get sick from a shit wendys every week and can't function?

With the surface being on fire for hundreds of years, why would you want to. As humans, being underground would be like living in a spaceship. It really wouldn't last long.
    Metro 2033

10+ Year Old Account
    No, i dont think it would. Not in total destruction of the world or killing everything that lives.
    There are already animals living inside vulcanic craters living of the ash and under water so deep there is no sun. Some species would survive
    Humans beign one of themm is probaly not the case, maybe the inpact some would survive but in the end the world be so fucked up they died later on

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't wipe out ALL life on Earth. The surface and sub-surface dwellers would die, but the micro-organisms under the surface of the sea floor would more than likely survive as their predecessors did before which is why Earth currently has life. I was watching a pretty interesting documentary on the cycles of the Earth and how those little buggers managed to find the exact right spot between the hot core and the frozen seas to sustain life which I thought was awesome. That stage was after the Earth got hit by a meteor and before every volcano erupted to melt the ice and snow.

This is from the movie deep impact and is just a fraction the size of texas ..like several people who have done the math and one the size of texas would totally disrupt the core of the earth so not only would the total surface of earth be melted even after billions of years of healing it would still be a dead world as it would never be able to produce a magnetic shield like it has now .

Considering the fact that any reasonably well built bunker would shield you from pretty much any kind of impact unless it's a direct hit on the bunker and the fact that IF a meteor of that size was to hit earth, we would know years in advance. This means that a LOT of people would be sitting in comfortable little bunkers all over the earth, probably on the side of the earth the meteor is NOT going to hit.

People would survive, no question about it.
    So, how about food then? atmosphere would be basically useless.Plants would be unable to grow, air would be unbreathable, We might survive the impact, but we won't make it past that.

"Man is free the moment he wishes to be."-Voltaire

Considering the fact that any reasonably well built bunker would shield you from pretty much any kind of impact unless it's a direct hit on the bunker and the fact that IF a meteor of that size was to hit earth, we would know years in advance. This means that a LOT of people would be sitting in comfortable little bunkers all over the earth, probably on the side of the earth the meteor is NOT going to hit.

People would survive, no question about it.
    No, not really. If a meteor the size of texas would hit, the crust, thousands of miles away from the impact site would be thrown into the air. This includes your bunker. Then, if you survive the "landing" (lol), your bunker will get cooked because almost the entirety of earth would be hundreds of degrees. And, if you and your super awesome bunker made it through that, the debris that the meteor throws into the air would block out the sun, and you would then have to survive an ice age, with no plants or animals left alive outside.

You're fucked really.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok...looks like nobody has read my post on page 4, and i am glad, because its pretty stupid anyway, but it proves the fact, that earth will be destroyed. i played with http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth

Real texas
    diameter: 1270 km
    weight: 53,820,000,000,000 kg
    earth = destroyed, nothing left, i mean NOTHING!!!! the earth is no more, n o t h i n g l e f t! ok, so what? i "thought" about a smaller meteor and created Bob, the Meteor.

diameter: 750km
    weight: 50.000 kg
    impact angel 45 degrees
    impact velocity: 11km/s
    target type: Water of Depth 10.000m
    Distance From Impact: 19.999

so, remember, bob is smaller, and lighter then texas!!!

Energy: 6.68 x 10^29 Joules = 1.6 x 10^14 MegaTons TNT
    Dmg: The Earth is completely disrupted by the impact and its debris forms a new asteroid belt orbiting the sun between Venus and Mars.
    100 percent of the Earth is melted
    Crater: Final Crater Diameter: 74100 km
    thermal radiation: The fireball appears 2370 times , Thermal Exposure: 1.5 x 10^15 Joules/m^2, Duration of Irradiation: 798 hours,Radiant flux (relative to the sun): 521000
    Seismic: Richter Scale Magnitude: 16.3
    airblast: The air blast will arrive approximately 16.8 hours after impact,Peak Overpressure: 2220000000 Pa = 22200 bars = 315000 psi,Max wind velocity: 37900 m/s = 84800 mph,Sound Intensity: 187 dB (Dangerously Loud)

And for the lolz the texas data too^^

energy: 3.49 x 10^39 Joules = 8.34 x 10^23 MegaTons TNT (does this mean 83.400.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 oO?)
    Dmg: 100 percent of the Earth is melted,Depending on the direction and location of impact, the collision may cause a change in the length of the day of up to 1870000000 hours.
    Crater: Final Crater Diameter: 59700000000 km (Earth is vaporized...)

So we are fuc***. But we could send Chuck Norris to destroy the meteor, he would probably die, but we know, we did everything we could....
    100 druid, 90+dk, 90 warrior, 90 monk, 90 warlock, 90 mage, 90 rouge, 90 paladin, 90 shaman, 90 prist, 90 hunter

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would a meteor with the size of Texas wipe out earth?
    Yes it would.
    There's this big one coming at is us in ten years or so. It had some 1:45 000 chance of hitting us if it gets pulled in by our gravity.

They had deviced a plan to move it though, it was quite smart.