Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Not that min/max'ing isn't important, and that every second of throughput isn't justified...but if it takes you an extra second, or even two, to turn your camera angle and click the giant head that takes up half of the room, I don't think you will have any issues.

I don't see how making a macro will help you...since it's just another keybind you would have to press. You might as well just rebind 'tab' to that key (not sure if anyone said that already).

But, like a couple people already stated, nameplates is a great way to find things on your screen...it'll also show you when parasites are still alive so you can kill those before going back to the head.

On heroic Magmaw atleast, the nameplate can often go underneath the floor. Dont remember normal as its been a while since I paid attention. Nameplates usually are reliable but in this case I dont believe it is. Macroing is a smart choice. It could be an extra keybind or you could replace tab with it but that is a mute point as it is a more definitive and yes, quicker, way of switching targets. On the contrare i've been lazy and take the slow approach of clicking it, but doesn't mean its right.

Some people on here who I bet would argue all day long that clicking your abilities is slow and robust compared to keyboard keybinding are now arguing the complete opposite way? I dont see how targetting is any different to clicking abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the parasites are in the way of your clicking you're doing it wrong, parasites > boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Akinaria View Post
    If the parasites are in the way of your clicking you're doing it wrong, parasites > boss.
    You kill parasites?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geomatician View Post
    On heroic Magmaw atleast, the nameplate can often go underneath the floor. Dont remember normal as its been a while since I paid attention. Nameplates usually are reliable but in this case I dont believe it is. Macroing is a smart choice. It could be an extra keybind or you could replace tab with it but that is a mute point as it is a more definitive and yes, quicker, way of switching targets. On the contrare i've been lazy and take the slow approach of clicking it, but doesn't mean its right.

Some people on here who I bet would argue all day long that clicking your abilities is slow and robust compared to keyboard keybinding are now arguing the complete opposite way? I dont see how targetting is any different to clicking abilities.
    I think that's because you mostly already have your mouse in the middle of your screen, so clicking the mouse button wouldn't be that much of an issue at that time, but moving your mouse button down to the bottom of the screen to click one of those tiny boxes to use a spell and possibly misclicking or at least losing time finding the button to click is a whole different story altogether, let alone the risk of dragging skills of your bars if you forgot to lock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikaas View Post
    I think that's because you mostly already have your mouse in the middle of your screen, so clicking the mouse button wouldn't be that much of an issue at that time, but moving your mouse button down to the bottom of the screen to click one of those tiny boxes to use a spell and possibly misclicking or at least losing time finding the button to click is a whole different story altogether, let alone the risk of dragging skills of your bars if you forgot to lock it.
    You havent attempted Heroic. The OP probably is referring to normal, but on heroic, no the boss will not be on screen much at all, nor will the head. I used too many commas.

Edit: Just so you know, magmaw heroic is like playing grand theft auto 1 but with fire.
    Last edited by Geomatician; 2011-02-03 at 12:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geomatician View Post
    You havent attempted Heroic. The OP probably is referring to normal, but on heroic, no the boss will not be on screen much at all, nor will the head. I used too many commas.

Edit: Just so you know, magmaw heroic is like playing grand theft auto 1 but with fire.
    Haven't been to heroic yet, nope, don't know if it's any different (from reading your post I'm guessing he dives under the lava?) But if you can't tabtarget go for a macro of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikaas View Post
    Haven't been to heroic yet, nope, don't know if it's any different (from reading your post I'm guessing he dives under the lava?) But if you can't tabtarget go for a macro of some kind.
    Nah its still the same idea, except if you arent looking at the floor you'll most likely die. Or take so much dmg that you'll gimp healers.

Anyway, 3 methods of targetting really. Find the one which suits you most and use it. There isn't really a right way of doing things. Heck if you seen some of my binds you would spend a long time scratching your head.

I know a lot of people say, like it's obvious, "Click!" or "Tab!" For me, both present problems; it can take a few seconds to locate the right place to click for the head, which is seconds lost not DPSing. And I'm a female player and I've found tabbing to be harder than people assume it is. After thinking about it, I think it's because my hands are small. I have to extend my pinkie pretty much to its max to hit tab, and my pinkie isn't all that strong, so the tabbing isn't smooth since the key is bigger than the "normal" letter keys and takes more effort to push down. If I had huge hands with strength and reach it would be a non-issue I suspect, like it is for most of you. But for a female or a younger male player they might have issues just due to hand size.
    It's not something I've ever had the guts to say on a forum (mostly because I've always been slightly ashamed of it), but I have the exact same issue myself. I'm also a female player, and I just don't like using Tab to select my targets. Sometimes I will but on fights like Magmaw I always target parasites and to be honest when I'm trying to put immolate on them all I end up putting immolate on ones which already have it on, and I find it very hard to target things using my mouse. I've been told to use assist macros, but I don't really want to rely on another person to target something in order for me to. I've also been told to try to get your mouse in position ahead of time so that I can click straight away. I also use nameplates but they would have to be massive to improve my situation and I don't want them to be that intrusive.

All in all I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue...when I both move and play with my keyboard I forget what I'm actually doing with my mouse cursor - most of the time I have left click held down so I can turn my camera when I need to, and if I want to switch targets I lose touch with where my cursor is and it takes me 2-3 globals to actually switch targets, not good. I'm still yet to find something that works for me, maybe I just need to L2P, I don't know.
    Last edited by Jenerena; 2011-02-03 at 02:47 PM.

If its the position of the tab key that is troublesome...rebind. if its the amount of force required to press it down...perhaps a different keyboard if that is a possibility.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Jen - I have a similar issue, and it's about mental control. I recast Immolate all the damn time and if I could stop doing that I'd gain about 900 dps single target. The .3s to tab (or click or w/e) and wait for my brain to register "IMmolate is up, move finger to next keybind" feels too long.

I've found that clicking nameplates works really well for me, and once I transition to tidyplates i can have it show only my debuffs and thus can simply click the necessary ones.

I'm hoping that works.

R.I.P. YARG