Other MMO threads and you.

It's been two months since Cata released, and already I am back in the familiar grind of 'Log in, do dailies, raid, log out'. That shiny new feeling is gone. But there are many new MMOs in development, so I head to their betas, read reviews, watch gameplay videos and trailers.

But then I come here and dear god, what a mess. People flaming games they haven't played, reviewing games based on one trailer or a friends opinion or because of who the publisher is. It's crazy.

Can people please not put down a game they haven't played, and by played I mean ground it out to say the first 20 levels. I think by then you'll have experienced enough features to actually have the right to express an opinion. Watching videos and gameplay and reading other peoples opinions is just not the same as playing the game.

Can people please not be afraid to say 'I haven't played it because [I just don't like the concept] or [I prefer scifi MMOs] or [I'm not a fan of the genre]', rather than just flaming something based on whatever reasons you last heard from some other uninformed idiot. No one is going to disrespect your preferences, but hell we're going to disrespect your uninformed stupidity.

Big up the games you know about by all means, but you don't need to push down every other MMO just to make your favourite seem better. You just devalue your opinion in the eyes of everyone else who's favourite MMO you just disrespected with your biased and/or ill informed opinions.

I love Rift, I've only played one beta, and I am eagerly awaiting the next this weekend, and I am super hyped for SWTOR (ex-SWG player here), but I am not going to put down DCUO (which doesn't appeal to me, and I haven't played) or Guild Wars or any other emerging MMO just to convince everyone that my favourite MMOs should be their favourite MMOs.

Theres a really cool thread on the Rift forums which talks about how to convert people to play Rift, and it makes a good read, it applies for any MMO.

TL: DR; Stop expressing opinions on games you haven't played, you only look foolish. Flaming every other MMO isn't going to make your personal favourite look good, if you love some new MMO tell us, no need to flame every other MMO.

And mods, seriously, can't you curb this shit?

I couldn't agree more, it would seem that the internet has given everyone a voice, and they want to use that voice to review games they haven't played, take a look here on mmo-poopshoot.com...

I am convinced a lot of this comes from people who are merely trying to defend their choice of game, but it is quite apparent they cannot have a single free thought without blizzard telling them how to think it.

Everyone has their favourites, but you cannot watch SW episodes 1-6 everyday for 6 years without getting bored, and the same applies to WoW for me. It doesn't make wow a bad game, it makes it an excellent game to have help my interest for 6 years! I don't have to trash wow to say I am gonna play Rift or any other MMO, I just have to say I want to try something different. I don't wanna re-learn how to play a game ala DCUO I want familiarity of controls and similar playstyle just new content and a change of scene. I will almost certainly play SWTOR as I played SWG and am a PROPER Star Wars child (having seen Ep4 at the cinema when it launched) but the lore won't keep me playing, the game will have to be properly good!

Anyway, like I always say, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it, and only others stink

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/02/tr...ames-industry/

Seems it isn't only WoW fans that are going in this direction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammagia View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/02/tr...ames-industry/

Seems it isn't only WoW fans that are going in this direction.
    You know... that's funny, because most Rift fans have a really negative attitude towards WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    You know... that's funny, because most Rift fans have a really negative attitude towards WoW.
    No they don't, most Rift fans have played WoW.

And it might seem they have negative attitude towards WoW on the forums, but it's because the WoW comparisson threads keep popping up constantly. I'm getting sick of them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    Rubbish, most of us have loved our time on WoW, but are just bored with it now after 6 years of same old, same old.

---------- Post added 2011-02-04 at 12:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Personally I am annoyed that people feel the need to pen a new thread everytime they have a brainfart on Rift or Swotor or DCUO instead of posting in the gazillion existing ones - but unless mods crack down on this .... /shrug.
    So are the Rift fans

Yea it sucks, but what are you going to do? It's always going to be "I have a friend who has a cousin who is in the beta, and he doesn't like the game, so therefor I hate the game even though I personally know nothing about it".

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Theres a really cool thread on the Rift forums which talks about how to convert people to play Rift, and it makes a good read, it applies for any MMO.
    No one else slightly bemused or disturbed that a Rift CM / Dev has created a forum topic on how to 'Convert your friends to Rift' including giving guidelines and advice on what to do and what not to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Alless View Post
    No one else slightly bemused or disturbed that a Rift CM / Dev has created a forum topic on how to 'Convert your friends to Rift' including giving guidelines and advice on what to do and what not to do?
    Er its a player not a CM/Dev... They didn't copy the blue thing from wow..

I'm a gamer that has experience 6 great years on WoW, however I too have also gotten bored with the concept. Yeah, WoW was, and to some still is, a great game, but what it really comes down to is, 'One day a game will get old, and when it does some people move on to find that *Spark* that a new game can give them again'.
    I have also beta for Rift, and I must say I am enjoying it.
    One, which Trion has said, it has the structure of wow UI and setup so it is still recognizable to me and I don't really have to relearn the playing style of the game. Some people do not like this because they say it's wow and if they want to play wow they would not play rift they would play wow. I can only say I like wow and their structure but playing the same thing over and seeing the same content does't interest me anymore.
    Two, the different ways that you can play your class is nice in itself. I have free rein of what I would like to choose to play without anyone suggesting to me that their is a cookie cutter build that I need to follow.
    Lastly, 6 years of playing a game that was great. Every game is going to have it's end. Every player is going to adjust to the next game that is out there. Everyone is going to move on someday. It is a matter of when you are comfortable to move to a different game or not.
    People protect what they "love" to do. If there is a threat against what they love to do, players thrash out just to have something not change. Everything is going to change, but it is how we response that affects others decisions. I can only think that people should let others play what they would like to play without the opinions of someone else, but just like you can play what you want to play, you can also write on the forums what you want to write.

Anyway, like I always say, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it, and only others stink
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsnToPOPY7c
    A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
    is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Deleted
    At least one thing they didn't copy.

Sure of that?

"So you like Rift? Cool. Us too. So what could make your Rift experience even better?
    Getting all of your friends to play with you of course"

Quote from the thread linked by the OP

The use of 'Us' sounds like its not just a player...

Sure of that?

"So you like Rift? Cool. Us too. So what could make your Rift experience even better?

Because players cant enjoy the games right.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...FT-and-Add-ons
    notice the name is purple and has a special tag

Thought I would bump this, things look as though they are getting heated again now that the most recent Rift beta is finished.

Sure of that?

Yes I am sure, the CM/Devs are purple (epic)

:-P

Playing against constant botters/hackers without them fixing it will do that to their fan base. The good news is you can buy the same cod (retextured) game next year that has the same problems, but the water will look better...

Excuses are just that, make a good product and people wont complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been keeping busy trying to solo naxxramas bosses for profit. I haven't quite got it down yet but I will!