Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    There are no niches that need to be filled.
    I think we'd do well with a new healing class.

Deleted
    There's really no need for new classes. If there will be any new ones in the future they're going to be a mix of already exiting classes, you can't really create anything fully new.

If you get bored of the class you're playing just roll another one as a main. Played mage 4 years and paladin now for 2, been fun yo.

They should make the next class a tank only class.

It would be an actual tank where people can jump in you (cd) to stop damage/increase damage.

That would be awesome!

I would love to see a combination Bard/Redmage type class from FFXI over here.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just going to go ahead and say that Blizzard doesn't need to look at what all of the "WoW killers" have done. Clearly WoW isn't dead yet, it may have lost some of it's luster for people that have been playing it for years, months, or even weeks, but I don't think they need to take ideas from games that lasted less than a year or had to convert to free-to-play because no one was subscribing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
    There are a lot of reasons. One is balance. I wasn't around for WotLK, but I've heard the stories about how long it took to get DKs in line.

Another reason is what archetypes are needed in the game. Currently we need more tanks, which was the goal with making Death Knights. Well... almost 3 years later and we still have a tank shortage. Releasing another tank class would be kind of weird, and releasing another DPS class would only hurt the problem. They could release another healer, but what we have at present currently feels really good (ie: One healer of each armor-type).

There are lots of ways to improve the game without adding new classes. I'd be more in favor of offering additional character customization than adding new classes.
    the only problem with "dk balance" is they wanted dks to be able to tank with every tree and balancing a dps spec into a tree that also had tanking talents (no matter what dps spec you wanted) was the problem

that's why blood is now the tanking tree

---------- Post added 2011-02-03 at 04:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zexcis View Post
    I'm just going to go ahead and say that Blizzard doesn't need to look at what all of the "WoW killers" have done. Clearly WoW isn't dead yet, it may have lost some of it's luster for people that have been playing it for years, months, or even weeks, but I don't think they need to take ideas from games that lasted less than a year or had to convert to free-to-play because no one was subscribing.
    that's what sony said and then EQ died

#1 MMO to not a top 10 MMO in less than a year
    a lot of EQ players started working for blizz and implemented what they wanted EQ to have in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
    Anyone else REALLY glad this guy isn't a game designer?

It DOES help, but you're right that it's not an end-all solution. For example, when you put Death Knights in the game, it wasn't just other tanks that switched over to playing a DK. There were probably healers and DPS who decided to roll a DK and maybe try tanking for the first time.

Likewise, when a new player creates their first character, suppose they want to play a melee DPS. They now have the choice between Druid, Warrior, Death Knight, Rogue, Paladin, and Shaman. All but 2 of those can tank, so there's another opportunity for a player that -might- give tanking a try at some point in the future.

Like I said though, I DON'T think adding a 5th tank would fix anything.
    Yes, I'm very glad he's not.

Now this is just my passive observation. I do not have numbers to back this up and I only see a small portion of the game population, but it seemed to me that DKs added some tanks in the short term, but as time went on it evened out. Just like the other plate classes, most of them ultimately went DPS anyway. Sadly I don't think increasing the available options for tanking will really ever increase the percentage of tanks in any significant fashion unless some other factor comes into the picture that also makes the role of tanking as a whole more appealing.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    In many dev interviews, a lot of them said balancing DK's was a nightmare and a lot harder than they thought it was going to be. I'm thinking that's probably why, balancing issues. They're having a hard enough time as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by blizzardcashshop View Post
    the only problem with "dk balance" is they wanted dks to be able to tank with every tree and balancing a dps spec into a tree that also had tanking talents (no matter what dps spec you wanted) was the problem

that's why blood is now the tanking tree
    From my understanding, they were pretty broken in PvP as well.

Quote Originally Posted by godz View Post
    You guys are just plain stupid.. i mean who the fuck doesnt want a new class? who gives a crap if they have to balance it or that we have classes for all roles.. it brings new things to the table.. nobody wants to play a paladin forever or DK.. its just not normal not wanting a new class.. it makes it more fun and exciting to see new abilities and designs
    Actually, our viewpoint is the more logical one. You want a new class like a child wants candy instead of a healthy dinner. To the child, it's perfectly normal and you can't imagine any reason why anyone wouldn't want it. However, any logical adult would see that eating candy would be an unhealthy substitute for dinner and would probably just make you feel sick afterwards.

Adding a new class at this point would probably hurt the health of the game without adding a lot to it. Chances are you'd have to overlap other classes a lot, step on some toes, and would probably take several months to "get it right".

You're right that nobody wants to play the same class forever, but we have 9 other options to fall back on.

Deleted
    They fucked up so badly when they created Death Knights that they don't wanna try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    New races are cool but the classes are still the same. When wotlk came out the first thing I did was make a DK and level it to 80. I had already played every other class extensively by then. I was excited about goblins and I levelled a goblin mage from 1-85 but its still a mage. I also wasnt subscribed for half of wotlk so I shouldnt be surprised that im super bored with WoW right now.
    New class = many new abilities = making balancing even harder than it already is

People are also already QQing about repeat talents/abilities....

Quote Originally Posted by Alfador View Post
    Now this is just my passive observation. I do not have numbers to back this up and I only see a small portion of the game population, but it seemed to me that DKs added some tanks in the short term, but as time went on it evened out. Just like the other plate classes, most of them ultimately went DPS anyway. Sadly I don't think increasing the available options for tanking will really ever increase the percentage of tanks in any significant fashion unless some other factor comes into the picture that also makes the role of tanking as a whole more appealing.
    Yeah, I agree about 95% with what you're saying. It does help -a little- in the long term though. Suppose for example you have a player who really only likes playing "evil" characters. Prior to DKs, their only choice was probably Warlocks. Well, that same player would probably be willing to play a DK now. Obviously this fact won't cause an enormous increase in tanks, but it does help a little.

There's no new classes because there has to be a niche for a class to fill. DK's are a prime example of this. You could argue that they created DK's to fill a need for a spell-resistant tank, but it was really just to add another tanking class. The result of that was a terribly unbalanced class with confusing talenting (since all three trees were intended to hold a tank and a dps spec), and no real place to fit in. It's definitely improved since release, but if you can give me a space in WoW PvE/PvP that desperately needs a niche filled by new class, I'll listen.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    The only thing I could think of is a healer that heals by dealing damage in melee, but that'd be impossible to balance. It'd always be overpowered somewhere.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by godz View Post
    You guys are just plain stupid.. i mean who the fuck doesnt want a new class? who gives a crap if they have to balance it or that we have classes for all roles.. it brings new things to the table.. nobody wants to play a paladin forever or DK.. its just not normal not wanting a new class.. it makes it more fun and exciting to see new abilities and designs
    First of all. Lay off the personal attacks. Calling someone stupid does nothing but make you look like a cranky old woman living in an attic apartment with 17 cats.

Second, adding something just because you can is a terrible idea. Sometimes less is more. There is no need to add another class, homogenize everything further, and undermines existing aspects of the game if done poorly or unnecessarily. This is a classic case of people thinking that what they want and what is actually good for them are the same thing when the two couldn't be farther from eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    The only thing I could think of is a healer that heals by dealing damage in melee, but that'd be impossible to balance. It'd always be overpowered somewhere.
    Look at priest talent "Atonement" Smite = Heal lowest hp target 15 yards away.
    Tis an awesome talent, but pure nightmare and possibly more effective just healing directly.

Balancing is way harder than people think. If it was easy, that would of been done ages ago and we would have more classes. Most people underestimate the time and work it takes to get everything to work and the time it takes to fix it all. I don't feel bad for people who complain about the game and say "gg blizz you messed up again". I like the healer choices right now, one for every armor type. I wonder if they'll somehow implement a similar idea for every armor type as well? Shamans used to kinda off tank in vanilla, so that work. And possibly make a tanking demon for warlocks. Obviously not serious ideas, but just thinking out loud.

You really want them to make another class? lol NO thank you! They can't even balance the class's that we have now....

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering what an impulsive trainwreck DK was, I'd say the devs realized their shortcomings and limitations and decided to stick with less ambitious tasks in xpacs. Cata is pretty simplistic, as far as xpacs go, and it was still a tight squeeze getting it out the door in a solidly functional state if the beta builds and early bugs (some of which still linger) are any indication.

Adding a class is like adopting a puppy. It looks so cool and cute at first, but then you start to realize how much care and maintenance it requires... and that's why you stop adopting puppies after the 10th one.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbug View Post
    There is 10 class but many different spec.

4 druid ( heal, range dps, melee dps, tank )
    3 pal ( heal, range dps, tank )
    2 dk ( dps, tank )
    2 war ( dps, tank )
    3 chaman ( heal, range dps, range cac )

etc.
    O'RLY? get this breaking news to press!