Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyDoodle View Post
    not 100% true.
    Greater Heal + PoH + Smite[Attonement] is the priority you should be using your spells. Mending on cooldown, binding if you are taking damage and also trying to heal people.

DO NOT USE RENEW, ESPECIALLY AS DISC. NOT EVEN ON THE TANK. It just does NOT heal for enough as disc if you aren't talented into it, and you SHOULDN'T be talented/glyphed into it anyway. Just a bad idea.
    These two lines made me register for these forums to post on this. In a raiding situation where you're not a tanks sole healer (you never will be) you probably will only use a few GHs the entire fight, alot of PoHs, and you probably shouldnt be speced into evang/arch/attonement. The talent points can be far better when used elsewhere considering how terrible both are in terms of heal per mana.

As for renew, using renew is a playstyle difference. Ive done some heroic fights where renew was my #1 heal, and Ive done others where I maybe cast it 10 times in 6 minutes. Its a very useful heal and is especially useful when you are building up DA shields on someone (generally before a fight but not always).

People tend to be overzealous when they're talking about what to do for playing something, with how the game is set-up right now what YOUR playstyle is will determine how you play your spec/class.

Quote Originally Posted by Teuchter View Post
    basicly holy is MUCH easier to play than disc

1) 4set= disc have to use penance+pw:s every penance CD while holy just being in chakra procs it
    2) your use of CD's as disc matter alot more than your CD's as holy. pw:barrier is very strong is every one is stacked, ps = same as gs tbh and finaly PI can be used to top people in heavy ae dmg while concerving mana making the most out of this is key.

for AE healing they are on par except from some fights where the hot heals and your DA wont be used. but if you use skada and it counts in pw:b as an absorb it bring disc above holy (chim hm 100mill absorb)
    Oh this post reminded me that disc has better cooldowns for Halfus. Between myself and the tank's CDs, we don't need any other people to pop cooldowns on the off-tank during the stun phases (yes, cool people leave one drake up while burning Halfus). And let's not even get into how OP atonement is for that fight.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 12:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ruchika View Post
    These two lines made me register for these forums to post on this. In a raiding situation where you're not a tanks sole healer (you never will be) you probably will only use a few GHs the entire fight, alot of PoHs, and you probably shouldnt be speced into evang/arch/attonement. The talent points can be far better when used elsewhere considering how terrible both are in terms of heal per mana.
    There are no "far better" places to spend those talent points though. Strength of Soul is terrible, as it screws up your raptures. Soul Warding is next to useless since you should never need to cast two shields back to back. The only plausible talents you could swap in are Inner Sanctum and Focused Will for the damage reduction, but if you're using binding heal properly and avoiding the avoidable damage, you REALLY shouldn't need damage reduction. I could see the case for getting the damage reduction talents for certain heroic modes though, so I guess I shouldn't write it off completely.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 12:14 AM ----------

As for renew, using renew is a playstyle difference. Ive done some heroic fights where renew was my #1 heal, and Ive done others where I maybe cast it 10 times in 6 minutes. Its a very useful heal and is especially useful when you are building up DA shields on someone (generally before a fight but not always).

People tend to be overzealous when they're talking about what to do for playing something, with how the game is set-up right now what YOUR playstyle is will determine how you play your spec/class.
    The main reason I use renew as disc is to do spot raid healing while maintaining my Grace on the tank. If I use greater/flash/penance to heal raid, then I lose my grace stacks on the tank, and that's a HUGE no-no. Thankfully, that's changing next patch, at which point renew will likely be replaced by PW:S and penance in those situations.

There are no "far better" places to spend those talent points though. Strength of Soul is terrible, as it screws up your raptures. Soul Warding is next to useless since you should never need to cast two shields back to back. The only plausible talents you could swap in are Inner Sanctum and Focused Will for the damage reduction, but if you're using binding heal properly and avoiding the avoidable damage, you REALLY shouldn't need damage reduction. I could see the case for getting the damage reduction talents for certain heroic modes though, so I guess I shouldn't write it off completely.

The main reason I use renew as disc is to do spot raid healing while maintaining my Grace on the tank. If I use greater/flash/penance to heal raid, then I lose my grace stacks on the tank, and that's a HUGE no-no. Thankfully, that's changing next patch, at which point renew will likely be replaced by PW:S and penance in those situations.
    Honestly I cant think of any single fight where a disc priest is only going to be healing one tank and spotting the raid. Worrying about grace at all seems rather pointless and the increased run speed on Inner Sanctum is the reason to put points in it. Most of the heroic modes are requiring you to run alot, that extra 6% definitely has saved lives on heroic Nezir.

Apparently I cant yet post links, I responded with a wowhead link to a talent build for heroic modes but I guess that will just have to wait

Deleted
    I'm often the sole tank healer... but then I do 10 man where we don't have a gazillion spare healers.

What kind of healer comp are you running? I did 10 mans the first two weeks of the xpac and I wasnt a tank healer even then.

Honestly I cant think of any single fight where a disc priest is only going to be healing one tank and spotting the raid. Worrying about grace at all seems rather pointless and the increased run speed on Inner Sanctum is the reason to put points in it. Most of the heroic modes are requiring you to run alot, that extra 6% definitely has saved lives on heroic Nezir.

Apparently I cant yet post links, I responded with a wowhead link to a talent build for heroic modes but I guess that will just have to wait
    Did I say you were only healing one tank? Pretty sure I said you were spot healing raid while keeping grace up on the tank. And if you don't think grace is important, maybe you haven't read the talent lately? It's 24% extra healing now. Dropping those stacks off the tank is downright painful.

Are you swapping to inner will to move or staying in inner will the whole fight? Swapping to inner will and back costs precious GCDs, while staying in inner will is a HUGE loss of spellpower. Sure it's easy to argue that runspeed to boots > 15 haste or 15 mastery or w/e, but it's pretty hard to argue that inner will runspeed > 500 spellpower.

Deleted
    What kind of healer comp are you running? I did 10 mans the first two weeks of the xpac and I wasnt a tank healer even then.
    Why would you spec disc if you're not tank healing? The spec is built around single target healing (grace, cheap gheal).
    FWIW rsham and hpala are the other two, though we don't 3 heal everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DomBomb1 View Post
    Did I say you were only healing one tank? Pretty sure I said you were spot healing raid while keeping grace up on the tank. And if you don't think grace is important, maybe you haven't read the talent lately? It's 24% extra healing now. Dropping those stacks off the tank is downright painful.

Are you swapping to inner will to move or staying in inner will the whole fight? Swapping to inner will and back costs precious GCDs, while staying in inner will is a HUGE loss of spellpower. Sure it's easy to argue that runspeed to boots > 15 haste or 15 mastery or w/e, but it's pretty hard to argue that inner will runspeed > 500 spellpower.
    For fights where my main spell isnt PoH Im staying in Will, and for fights where it is, Im staying in Fire. (A little note it also costs mana besides the gcds to swap since Fire still costs mana despite no reflection in tooltip). 24% increased healing done by the disc priest on the tank isnt that much if healing the tank isnt your primary assignment. It has no benefit to anyone but you. Oh and with how our scaling is right now? 500 spellpower = nothing, sorry to rain on your parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    Why would you spec disc if you're not tank healing? The spec is built around single target healing (grace, cheap gheal).
    FWIW rsham and hpala are the other two, though we don't 3 heal everything.
    Its hardly built around tank healing, its built around healing (general). It has no GH talents other than ToT which can hardly be considered a cheap GH. Resto shaman and hpals are both better suited to tank heal than a disc priest at this point in time.

Edit: in fact, if you look at the disc talents, they're about 50/50 on tank/raid talents
    Last edited by Ruchika; 2011-02-06 at 02:59 AM.

Deleted
    Its hardly built around tank healing, its built around healing (general). It has no GH talents other than ToT which can hardly be considered a cheap GH. Resto shaman and hpals are both better suited to tank heal than a disc priest at this point in time.
    ToT is a cheap gheal - you get 1 in 6 for free with a big crit buff, how is that not cheap? It's better hpm than Heal after all...
    We have better throughput than a rsham, and better mana regen to boot. Hpalas are just crazy so can't really compare to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    ToT is a cheap gheal - you get 1 in 6 for free with a big crit buff, how is that not cheap? It's better hpm than Heal after all...
    We have better throughput than a rsham, and better mana regen to boot. Hpalas are just crazy so can't really compare to them.
    Its not cheap in that it means that you're still blowing mana out your rear to get IF down to no CD again. My GH heals for as much as a FH and dont even bring Heal into this, Heal is the worst spell we have since it takes so many casts of it to = any of our other heals and that brings its mana cost up to the same as FH/GH only its total cast to do the same healing would be double-triple of the other spells.

Better mana regen than a mana tide totem.... lol your shaman is doing something very wrong

Quote Originally Posted by shifta View Post
    Disc is amazing right now. It's sad that most people don't fully understand the spec.
    It is very unfortunate that many of the people not understanding the spec are the ones playing it...I have seen many Disc priests who will shield people and then go sit on their hands and maybe toss a Penance or something. Some even choose to DPS, and I don't mean Smite spam for archangel, I mean every offensive spell they have, meanwhile people are dieing.

Power Word: Shield is NOT your only spell to heal people with!

Some will claim they are there to mitigate damage and not heal it. Wrongo! Mitigating damage reduces the amount of healing you need to do...its just being lazy.

Holy priests often do the something similar. They will drop a Lightwell and macro-say, "Lightwell use it!" And they proceed not to heal anyone because they expect the lightwell to do the job for them...more laziness.

Lazy is everywhere, spec doesn't matter.
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

Its not cheap in that it means that you're still blowing mana out your rear to get IF down to no CD again. My GH heals for as much as a FH and dont even bring Heal into this, Heal is the worst spell we have since it takes so many casts of it to = any of our other heals and that brings its mana cost up to the same as FH/GH only its total cast to do the same healing would be double-triple of the other spells.

Better mana regen than a mana tide totem.... lol your shaman is doing something very wrong
    While tank healing 10man Nefarain [the Nef tank], I used heal multiple times. What other spell is there to use when the tank is @ 90% health, ProM is on CD, WS is up and the rest of the raid is OoR on Ony? Besides, my Heal crits can pop over 20k easy, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, when you need to chain GH, ToT makes it cheap. Obviously, if you don't need to chain GH, don't. Its like Serendipity. No one should be casting FH or BH for the sole purpose of getting serendipity stacks, but if you must cast FH or BH, serendipity makes it less of a burden on your mana pool.

Quote Originally Posted by DomBomb1 View Post
    Holy is pretty nerfed right now, disc is in much better shape. Not sure why you feel the opposite.

Seriously, though, Disc is FINE. Between, rapture, replenishment, and 15% more intellect, I rarely have mana problems, and there's nothing quite like a 40k greater heal + 15k Divine Aegis to stabilize a tank. PW:B, Pain Suppression, and Power Infusion are some POWERFUL cooldowns, and are almost required for some fights (Halfus, Chimaeron, Maloriak, to name a few). Stacking Power Infusion with Divine Hymn or Hymn of Hope is definitely awesome. Attonement is downright overpowered for Halfus and really nice for Magmaw and Conclave (Anshal). Frankly, I wouldn't run a 25-man raid WITHOUT a Disc priest, but I see no particular reason one would HAVE to have a holy priest. Honestly, the only fight I would prefer a holy priest over a disc priest is atramedes, and that has NOTHING to do with HPS and everything to do with body and soul.
    go to WoL rankings and when you study them then tell me how you feel about Holy priests. Holy palas/priests Own first few pages on every encounter. EVERY. Theres a druid here and there with some disc priests. Also, You wouldnt run a 25man without disc priests while paragon only has holy priests and palas for healing (at least they had them during 1st kills). There is a reason for that.
    Last edited by phyx; 2011-02-07 at 07:30 PM.

They had a Discipline Priest too, because Barrier is hacks. As did Method.

You're welcome to keep trying, though.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

maybe I was wrong about that thing, wasnt paying attention to the vids obviously but combat logs speak for themselves. gg

10+ Year Old Account
    Ofc disci is easier than holy... Smite Smite Smite Smite Smite Smite Smite etc
    I tried to sleep on my keyboard - Not a good idea, WASD on the cheek in the morning.

This thread should have been closed 4 pages ago. I really haven't found anything of redeeming value that could help anyone who wishes to heal as a priest.

Its a magnet of bad info, qq, and rage.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Its a magnet of bad info, qq, and rage.
    ***kin' Magnets, how do they work?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~