Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Not Understanding My Hit Numbers

For starters ... here's my armory -
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...maric/advanced

I've been stacking hit religiously and my melee miss chance on a level 85 is still 8.20% with a Hit Rating of 1157. Just seems the miss chance is too high.

Any explanations??
    If two people are exactly alike, one is not necessary.

Deleted
    You are dualwielding?

Dual Wield has an increased autoattack miss chance, but your yellow hits are still only 8% miss chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    This number will be displaying the white (autoattack) damage miss chance, for most dual wield classes, this number isn't important, and I think now is impossible to reach atm.

I'm no rogue pro, but as far as I can tell you only need to me special capped (yellow physical damage, 8%) if you're combat/sub. Assasination requires the 14% hit rating to be spell capped (check your spell tab, hit scales differently) for your poisons.

Don't forget you can negate I think 6% to both spell+special hit % if you've talented right (precision?).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Kaga; 2011-02-04 at 12:46 AM. Reason: iPhone autocorrect is a retard.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

15+ Year Old Account
    As combat spell hit is not important as Mutilate, and you only really need your yellow hit capped. With 3/3 precision you only need 241 hit rating to achieve this.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toskorae View Post
    With 3/3 precision you only need 241 hit rating to achieve this.
    So I am 3/3 precision. But according to my in game character sheet my -Melee / hit chance = 15.80%. If I mouse over that line I get

Hit Chance 15.80% (in larger white font)
    Hit Rating 1177 (9.80% hit chance) (smaller yellow font)

Then .... Target Level and Miss Chance
    ..................... 85 .............. 8.20%
    ..................... 86 .............. 8.70%
    etc etc etc

So which of these numbers are supposed to mean something to me. Apologies for being so dense???? It says I have 1177 hit rating which is a lot more than 241 and still a miss chance of 8.2% (sucks)

10+ Year Old Account
    Precision doesn't affect the hit % displayed on your character sheet I don't think.

Also it sounds like you're still looking at your White damage hit chance, perhaps read my previous post, or for what is probably more accurate, google this issue, it's explained really clearly all over teh interwebs.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok Kaga .... thanks.

I've been playing this character for most of 2 years and chased an answer to my confusion in a number of forums - I just don't get it ......

On my character sheet in game should I be looking at Melee or Spell stats ..... if Melee, then the above is what I have.

Under Spell ..... says Hit Chance 17.49%
    and ........................ Hit Rating 1177 (+11.49%)

and 0% miss chance.

EJ's has been my source and read and reread ........ so off I go.

ama for combat just get your special attacks to be 0.00% on 88 lvl mobs (raid boss) leaving the extra hit on gear to go towards expertise which is more important to combat than assassin. spell hit is of no concern to the spec. and on your character sheet in game it does add in hit % from talents. so disregard the spell hit section and go for only melee special hit and expertise and you should be good from there

Kaga is wrong. Talents/specs that increase hit by a certain amount are added in the tooltip hit. If I get 10% hit from ratings and 6% hit from talents, tooltip will say 16%. It's pretty obvious that it already works this way since he already says his hit chance is 15.80% and 9.80% is gained from hit rating.

Anyways, if you're only running 5 mans, you want to be at 721 hit rating minus 120 hit rating for every % of hit you get from talents/spec. If you're running raids, you need 961 hit rating minus 120 rating per % gained from talents/spec. granted, thats only for melee specials. if you need spell hit for whatever reason, i dont have the numbers for that yet, but you need the number by the 87 to be zero for 5 mans, and the number by 88 / skull to be zero for raids.
    Last edited by blahssat; 2011-02-04 at 01:57 AM.

Don't shy away from spell hit though, It's still better than crit and mastery, and if you can't reforge those stats to haste and you are already expertise capped, then it's STILL a dps upgrade to reforge to hit. Even if you are ABOVE the spell hit cap (1127 hit rating with 3/3 precision).

I'd keep your hit under 1127 though, because if you are above that you are either wearing too much hit gear and not enough expertise/haste gear, or you are not reforging as much haste as you can. For reference, I have 1028 hit in my combat set (and 1905 haste rating).

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok .... getting somewhere now. So my 'specials' are 'zero' up and thru level 88. Not sure how much of that 1177 hit is above and beyond, but now it's time to get some exp and haste built.

Thanks a million for the help.