Cho'gall tanking

So my guild got some face time with this guy last night and my lord does he hit like an f-ing truck. Any dks out there have any tips for this? I have been AMSing off the magic half of the debuff and popping CDs when worship stacks get too high, but he still just smashes my face in.

Pop Cd when your tanking the add with boss.
    Try to save CD when your dps dk forgets to taunt boss before debuff.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There should be 0-1 max2 worship stacks, your doing something very wrong if it gets too high.
    Our tactic is have the entire raid exluding the tank stack and we have a firemage(me) dragon's breath the worships, if I get cc'd our shaman takes care of it etc.

On the DK damage part I cannot help you unfortunately, we have a dk/palatank swapping between adds.
    DK tanks, add spawn Paladin taunts, add dies, DK takes the boss back.

you shouldn't be getting high worship stacks if the rest of your raid is doing their job and interrupting those who get MCd

Normally as our Main tank I start out on Chogall that way when he uses "Fury of Chogall" the Off tank will taunt off me and I will go get the add that spawns. You then kite the add making sure to interrupt all of its casts as it will increase your corrupted blood and take the add to the stairs at the entrance to chogalls room and kill it their (kill it there so when festering blood is cast "immediately following add death" its a longer range those adds have to travel and gives dps more time to aoe them down) then run back up to chogall and help interrupt any worships on the way to the boss if you see any, then when your debuff "fury of chogall" runs out take the boss off the other tank. And hold the boss until he casts fury again. About the 3rd or 4th add he will summon the add first then cast fury. Dont have the tank taunt until you get your debuff! After that then go get the add, have a hunter or rogue tricks/ msdirect the add to you to help until chogall casts that debuff. If you ever see chogall get 2 stacks thats when you need to be timing out your deathstrikes for the blood shield as well as keeping scarlet fever on him to reduce his damage. If you ever see him at about 2-3 stacks that is a good time to use Vampiric blood. He hits harder from teh more stacks he gets from worship. People in your raid will get mind controlled and cast worship on the boss, if they arent interrrupted asap the boss will have alot of damage increase. If been able to survive a 7 stack with all CDs due to bad RNG. The 2nd phase is a bit rough, position the boss where you see any stacks of the 2nd phase "worm eyeball looking adds" for maximum cleave/ AoE damage. Their cast is interruptable! And have a melee be your focus for your other dps. AKA Mark a warrior for example and have the other dps focus his target so that the adds go down quickly. Add control this whole fight is the most important thing.

1-Interrupts Most important
    2-Control
    3-Position
    4-Cd rotation (Healers and tanks)

Quote Originally Posted by prestilence View Post
    wall of text...

Well we all know the basics of the fight, I was asking more if there are any tips that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelchan View Post
    Well we all know the basics of the fight, I was asking more if there are any tips that might help.
    I am pretty sure if you actually read that.. You would see plenty of tips

Well, usually I tank him during add phases.
    Flame Orders is when he hits the tank reaaaally hard so I pop AMS and, when the shell is over, Mirror of Broken Images (trinket from Tol Barad reputation). That way, I'm reducing a lot of the incoming fire damage from Flaming Destruction while Death Strikes and Blood Shields take care of his "normal" hits. A healer is assigned to heal me and he stays in melee range so I can Mind Freeze him if he gets mced.
    Before getting the trinket, I used to pop Vamp Blood after the shell was over. During Shadow Orders I just use Rune Tap and Death Strikes till I get the Fury...
    Last edited by Ariakas-SoS; 2011-02-04 at 02:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Another tip would be to use DRW during shadow's orders, since a parried/dodged hit does not trigger the shadow nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Another tip would be to use DRW during shadow's orders, since a parried/dodged hit does not trigger the shadow nova.

protip, I didn't know that :0 I'll keep that in mind for our next kill.

As others have mentioned, worship past 2 = bad grp, no way you can down him if this keeps going on...

Dont be afraid of poppong CDs, as there is no enrage phase or something you need to save em for. And you know youre gonna tank him for 45 secs, and then another 45 secs where you wont...

One thing i see some tanks fail a bit on is p2... Be sure you tank the boss next to the tentacles for cleave, and be sure to interrupt em. This makes a lot of difference!

I play a prot warrior, and we always run with 1 fire mage and 1 destro lock. That means we got dragon's breath, shadow nove (or whatever its called, aoe stun from warlock...!) and my shockwave. With this, we always interrupt really fast, and i dont think that at any point since we got him on farm, he has had above 1 stack of worship (that 1 stack coming from some ranged who's nuking the small adds... they are a little harder to interrupt ).

If youre not tanking adds, this fight as basically all about having good gear, and using CDs. The rest is up to your party...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelchan View Post
    So my guild got some face time with this guy last night and my lord does he hit like an f-ing truck. Any dks out there have any tips for this? I have been AMSing off the magic half of the debuff and popping CDs when worship stacks get too high, but he still just smashes my face in.
    we have 2 tanks druid/pala switching and the second picking up adds every time they spawn. Never had the problem of tank dying to be honest maybe we can die of stupid add positioning or people getting transformed.
    Retired