Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Google Chrome/IE hanging/locking up the system

I have this issue with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome simply locking up or hanging my system. I can't TAB to anything, I can't use the task manager, I can't click anything on the task bar. All I can do is close the browser or force boot my PC. I have been using FireFox for a long time and the browser is working fine. The main reason why i also use IE (and now trying Chrome) is I can't access my bank stuff and a few other pages in FF, so i kinda have to have another browser working.

There is a thread about this issue here:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...9f181acc&hl=en

It's sorta old but the issue is still not "fixed" since May 2009, the issues in that thread is mainly related to Google chrome.

I run:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Acer FRX780M
    6 GB RAM
    AMD Phenom II X2 544
    Callisto 45nm Technology
    Philips 244E (1920x1080@60Hz)
    ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
    733GB Seagate ST3750528AS ATA Device (SATA)

Not sure any of that helps but who knows, because I'm out of ideas. One thing that does seem to work but isn't really a great solution is running FireFox THEN IE or Chrome, then there is zero issues. Close down FF and start IE or Chrome again and it locks up.

This is one of the responses from 08/31-10 (in the link provided)

This is DEFINTELY a bug in the CORE processes of the browsers. It may cause some extensions to fail and to be reported, but extensions are NOT the cause of this problem, because it happens VERY FREQUENTLY as well when using Chrome WITHOUT ANY extension, or when running Windows in safe boot mode (with minimal network support).

Google isconstantly giving FALSE hints to users (and dangerous instructions such as disabling antiviruses that are NOT the cause of this problem): this just avoids some reports.

I have this browser hang every 10 minutes on Wikipedia, when navigating in large pages, but sometimes as well when just opening or refreshing its default home page.

Cleaning browser's cache completely or even erasing completely the user's profile in AppData\Googlle\Chrome DOES NOT solve this problem (in fact it causes the problem to come again even faster...)

This is an old CRITICAL BUG signaled many times since TWO YEARS, but Google persists in considering this bug as non critical only because it cannot see it on its own (and specific) development systems, or because it does not cause the browser to crash, most of the time (it just causes the browser to hang and use all system ressources, so that the Google Crash Report process cannot even report it as it cannot even run, when the browser's core processes is stealing everything).
    I'm hoping someone with more computer/software knowledge than me maybe knows a little more or have any sort of fix/suggestions?

cant really add much to the topic. But still i can report something quite interesting i think.
    Well it was over a year ago but still. I tried to install google chrome to my work PC, which didnt work out.
    Instantly our service admins phoned me and asked what the hell i did.
    I told them and they just shook heads and told me that google chrome is a quite aggresive malware rather than something called software. Due to them it seems to have spy functions, a very high rate of security-breaking bug and problems.

Well i never found out if they are right about this, but well those guys earn their money with handling computers, so i never touched it again.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    This is probably a long shot in the dark, but this is what I would do:

- Run CCleaner/Defrag (since browsers thrash cache often)
    - Flush DNS cache and reset TCP stack through command prompt

The bug with Chrome doesn't make a whole lot of sense since you say it happens with that AND IE.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Chrome runs 9 processes that seems a lot for one browser? FF loaded is one process. IE loaded is 2 processes. Also I heard someone mention the "malware/spyware" related to Google Chrome, giving away information about what you browse etc. It's only via word of mouth though. I do already use CC (and defrag of course). I haven't tried Flushing the DNS cache.

Also the issue might not occur for a day or a week but then suddenly do it every time I load it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    IE and Chrome utilize tab process isolation, which means each tab runs its own thread. Gives a bit of security and more importantly crash redundancy.

Deleted
    Fair enough, well I tried about every single fix I could find that might work but nothing. fine with FF loaded first, if FF is not loaded IE or Chrome locks up Windows

15+ Year Old Account
    Might want to look into reinstalling Windows then... :s

disable hardware acceleration on flash apps like youtube

I actually had something similar happen to my laptop this week and haven't even bothered trying to fix it yet because school has been so busy. Mine likes to alternate between barely letting windows boot(and then freezing up when chrome is started) and not even getting past the login screen. I'm not entirely sure if it's chrome related, but for some reason chrome started asking me for administrator access to use(of which there was no prompt or nothing I purposefully changed) and then poof, computer locked up and now I'm on my ubuntu netbook(seriously, the jump down from i7 to intel atom is painful).

I'm considering just completely wiping my HDD altogether this weekend, if there's nothing my recovery disk can fix.

10+ Year Old Account
    www.malwarebytes.org

Use it and see if it finds anything that may be sticking to processes that IE and Chrome may be using. FF has more "armor" than the other two browsers and may be why you're seeing better results with it.
    Last edited by Gecko; 2011-02-04 at 02:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Might want to look into reinstalling Windows then... :s
    This is a fresh install, few days old, nothing bundled with it.

---------- Post added 2011-02-04 at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by megabeat View Post
    disable hardware acceleration on flash apps like youtube
    I can try that, though this happens when I open a simple page like Google.com (ironic right?) How do I disable that btw?

---------- Post added 2011-02-04 at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    www.malwarebytes.org

Use it and see if it finds anything that may be sticking to processes that IE and Chrome may be using. FF has more "armor" than the other two browsers and may be why you're seeing better results with it.
    Highly doubt there is anything infected but it's worth a try.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2011-02-04 at 05:32 PM.

Myself and few buddies have all experienced the same problems with IE, personally i cant speak for chrome. But IE has def been a problem child.

Deleted
    I have tried no plugins/extensions, fresh profile, fresh install and still same issue.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5677

Windows 6.1.7600
    Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

2/4/2011 6:31:42 PM
    mbam-log-2011-02-04 (18-31-42).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
    Objects scanned: 226147
    Time elapsed: 27 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2011-02-04 at 05:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    I get a similar issue.

And when i look at my graphics card, the Gpu is at 99%.
    So i restart it fixes it till it happens again, Also when the restarts closing there is a window open for a short while
    Asking to close some thing but it shuts off to fast to see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Alright ran all those and no errors (thankfully). Every thread I research on the web provides no answer on how to fix it or what specifically is causing it. Kinda frustrating.

just today chrome stopped loading mmochampion, though I have no problems anywhere else

---------- Post added 2011-02-05 at 02:52 PM ----------

ccleaner didn't help, and ipconfig doesn't seem to want to flushdns

Deleted
    Gotta be something conflicting with something else. I know that's pretty vague but I have no idea what it could be. It's just alarming that Google and Microsoft care so little about this issue. People can barely get them to react to questions or bug reports on this issue. If they do they come up with some scripted answer.

my IE works fine, but chrome doesn't here, and my home computer's chrome install can get here just fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Gotta be something conflicting with something else. I know that's pretty vague but I have no idea what it could be. It's just alarming that Google and Microsoft care so little about this issue. People can barely get them to react to questions or bug reports on this issue. If they do they come up with some scripted answer.
    It pains me to say it, but that's also one of the reasons why Apple had a 244% increase in worth over 2010. Whenever shit like this happens, I always wish customer service was a bit better than "DGAF". Your best bet is to find some online forum, though. When I had an issue with GROM 2 locking up my system the Ubuntu officials didn't help at all, but the regular posters on their forums were RIDICULOUSLY fast with giving me an answer, and in 30 minutes my netbook was up and running again.

Don't rely on Google or Microsoft for an answer, post some messages across multiple boards and subscribe the responses to your email so you can check back daily. Chances are, there's somebody willing to help you free of charge and with no hassle.