Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The line between insanity and brilliance.
    You really...REALLY dont understand the bomb youd like to throw in the terrible balance of pvp do you?

would be better if by runes you meant symbols, and not the already in place DK rune system.

Blizzard will not make two classes that are thematically similar, ever. Death Knights are already based off a rune system, and as such we won't ever see a Runemaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    We already have rune masters; Death knights. They have six runes and generate runeic power.
    What about Paladins, Mages, Priests, Warlocks, Shaman and Druids using Mana?
    Bears and Warriors use Rage.
    Cats and Rogues use Energy.

Yeah. Just because there's already a power/resource system being employed by a class doesn't mean another class can't employ it as well.

OP: YES! Please. Runemasters...would be AMAZING.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 03:20 AM ----------

I was thinking of Runemasters to use runes/patterns to like imbue themselves much like say, how Enhancement Shaman imbue their weapons with the elements. Instead, they'll inscribe runes and patters on their arms or something (Would love a fist/bare hands type of DPSer...a tree would of course buff this melee DPS spec) for DPSing. And say for healing, they'd use these patterns to put HoTs on their targets. Do heals and what not.

Just because another class has a specific resource system doesn't mean another class cannot employ the same.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 03:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dakho View Post
    Blizzard will not make two classes that are thematically similar, ever. Death Knights are already based off a rune system, and as such we won't ever see a Runemaster.
    Thematically similar?

Death Knights are necromantic warriors who were brought back to life.
    Runemasters are practically holy warriors who use symbols, patterns and runes to draw the powers of the Arcane to aid them.

"Runemasters are monk-like arcane spellcaster and melee fighters who empower themselves with magical energies by inscribing runes onto their bodies...The runemaster is a mystic who sees the power of ley lines. Moreover, those who study runes understand that these are not simply symbols of power - they are the power. The runemaster seeks to become one with the land, but not in the fashion of druids. Rather, the runemaster desires to become a microcosm of the land, seeking to overlay his body with runes in the same fashion that the land itself is overlaid with patterns of ley lines. He merges brute strength with arcane magic, covering his body with mystic tattoos and often imbuing them with magical energies to increase his skill in hand-to-hand combat."

Yes. That sounds so much like Death Knights doesn't it?

instead of runemaster being a new class it should be a new spec for the death knight, be good to get 4th specs

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    instead of runemaster being a new class it should be a new spec for the death knight, be good to get 4th specs
    No.................

Runemasters would be the next step. They'd probably use a rune system simliar to DK's, and Mana instead of Runic Power or some other type of systems.

I could of sworn I recall reading an article (or listening to a blizz podcast) about how they were deciding between Necro, Rune and DK for Wrath, and Fused Necro and DK together and borrowed the Runemasters rune system.

There was also a post somewhere saying that Necromancer will never be because it was merged with DK's. However, nothing mentioned anywhere and Runemasters being left out other then "They didn't fit the theme of WotLK".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakho View Post
    The two classes aren't remotely similar, I'd recommend reading up on the class on wowpedia and you'll see what I mean.

Really wanted this class to be in the game ever since I read about them, but alas it seems like this is one that'll only stay outside of WoW, atleast for the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    What about Paladins, Mages, Priests, Warlocks, Shaman and Druids using Mana?
    Bears and Warriors use Rage.
    Cats and Rogues use Energy.

Yeah. Just because there's already a power/resource system being employed by a class doesn't mean another class can't employ it as well.

OP: YES! Please. Runemasters...would be AMAZING.
    Runes are a DK's secondary resource, jsut liek warlocks with souls hards, boomers with solar/lunar energy, pallies with holy power. They won't make a second class on a unique resource.

EDIT: Only the 3rd new class topic started today to mention runecaster, not bad, usually we're over 5 by this time of day.
    Last edited by Penatar; 2011-02-06 at 03:43 AM.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutalistic View Post
    If blizz wants fist weapons to be used more, instead of creating a new class based around fist weapons, they could simply make fist weapons competitive with other 1hs.
    This! I want to see a proper tanking fist weapon for Warriors, a caster fist weapon for Resto Shaman and Druids (as well as the ever-loved Owls), and proper competitive fist weapons for, well, Rogues, Hunters and Enha Shaman. What with the Claws of Agony and Torment being shoehorned in as "Str or Agi, both work due to the set bonus, right?", I hope we see more proper Str-based fist weapons, as SMF-Warriors is also a new gimmick... And hey, caster fist weapons - did I mention those? There's ONE in the whole game to my knowledge. Moar!

Regarding the class in itself (to get back on topic, I guess), a class based around, umm, fist weapons and runes? So you're saying you want Arcane Shaman, because that's what that essentially boils down to. The niche is arcane/melee, which would be spiffy and all that, but since we already have elemental/melee, it'd feel too much like a rip-off. The Death Knight upon introduction was a whole new resource system, and despite the tri-spec nonsense had failed utterly to balance itself by the time WotLK was over, it was innovative. If you make them tanks+dps, you're making Death Knights in a new armour class with different weapon proficiencies. If you make them healer+dps, you're making them Shaman (and about the healer, see below). If you make them true hybrids (tank+dps+healer), you're making them Paladins, except again, with a different armour class and weapon proficiency set. Oh, and an Arcane theme as opposed to a Holy theme.

What do Runemasters actually bring in the sense of innovation? Melee healing? I'd love to see that, akin to Warhammer Online's Sigmarite Battle Priests, sure. But it might just be too iffy game-tech wise, too hard to balance since melee-orientation means gearing for melee stats (Hit, anyone?) while still going for caster/healer stats... Seems too weird, and they'd be "the new caster plate" class, getting exclusive and sole rights to a completely own set of gear. Awkward, to say the least.

I did sort of counterargue myself there, but "innovative" is not automatically good, folks. Especially if it doesn't quite work with the ongoing mechanics and machinations.

Also, take into account the very minimal lore presence Runemasters have had. Some p'n'p RPG nonsense and two and a half in-game NPCs? Death Knights were, aah, somewhat more recognized by the general WoW populace upon inception.
    Last edited by mmoca898f3f219; 2011-02-06 at 04:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    im gonna tip my hat into this conversation and say id like to see

Brewmaster or Time Warden the latter actually having a decent presence in game to the caverns of time there was a excellent post about them which was very well laid out and could seem plausible.

Oh and the only thing the DK runes has in common with Rune Masters is the sub resource system the death knights have.There etching process completely different from one another.

Rune Masters
    - etch there runes into there body
    -wear cloth or little clothing
    -fight with there fist

Death Knights
    -use plague,blood and shadow magic
    -ware plate
    -use Two/One handed swords and axes
    Last edited by Shroud; 2011-02-06 at 04:20 AM.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andergard View Post
    Also, take into account the very minimal lore presence Runemasters have had. Some p'n'p RPG nonsense and two and a half in-game NPCs? Death Knights were, aah, somewhat more recognized by the general WoW populace upon inception.
    There weren't really that many Death Knights before WotLK either.
    Nor were there many Worgen outside of Gilneas before Cataclysm.

Blizzard can make it work.

Runemaster so far is the best recommendation i've seen for a new hero class

Deleted
    blizzard released death knights in wrath and it took them years to balance that class, the trees were a mess, have the skills were overpowere and the others totally garbage, they spent 3months being op, with another 3 months being weakest class in the game, and this cycle went on for the whole of the wrath expansion - we dont need another class, i dont want one, why have them use our money to develope a class when they can make new content?

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 04:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    im gonna tip my hat into this conversation and say id like to see

Brewmaster or Time Warden the latter actually having a decent presence in game to the caverns of time there was a excellent post about them which was very well laid out and could seem plausible.

Oh and the only thing the DK runes has in common with Rune Masters is the sub resource system the death knights have.There etching process completely different from one another.

Rune Masters
    - etch there runes into there body
    -wear cloth or little clothing
    -fight with there fist

Death Knights
    -use plague,blood and shadow magic
    -ware plate
    -use Two/One handed swords and axes
    so a melee class wearing cloth> healers would love that.... cant see this working tbh

cloth gear with strength n stamina or agility??? that only this new class could wear...... will never happen sorry

DK: use unholy/blood/frost runes
    runemasters could use nature or light for healing, earthen for tanking and lighting or fire for dps.

DKs r not the rune master class that already exist in wow lore ppl.

I've also wanted to see them in game since first reading about them, but most points I would make have already been said. To counter the "melee healing needing to gear for hit" argument, a number of trees already have a Spirit->Hit conversion talent. Problem solved there.

or or or, wow also needs sub classes like make rune master a sub class that could allow any other class to tank or heal, for ex:
    if a mage chooses the earthen runemaster subclass they can tank. that way qeues r not so long for us any more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by entropic93 View Post
    I've also wanted to see them in game since first reading about them, but most points I would make have already been said. To counter the "melee healing needing to gear for hit" argument, a number of trees already have a Spirit->Hit conversion talent. Problem solved there.
    what about stam and int??? , shadow priest have spirit > conversion because most if the healing gear has int stam and spirit, how could a melee class use strength and stam gear to heal on offspec? even with spirirt / hit conversion?

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 05:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by galileoacosta View Post
    or or or, wow also needs sub classes like make rune master a sub class that could allow any other class to tank or heal, for ex:
    if a mage chooses the earthen runemaster subclass they can tank. that way qeues r not so long for us any more.
    i hope you are trolling...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    There weren't really that many Death Knights before WotLK either.
    Nor were there many Worgen outside of Gilneas before Cataclysm.
    Yeah, I hear Arthas was this minor side-character in WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne. Oh, and I hear it wasn't Worgen you killed in Silverpine Forest, Shadowfang Keep and Grizzly Hills, but in fact stray dogs under the title 'Son of Arugal' and the like. Right?

And as much to reiterate that I'd love something to "spice up" the roles, think of how the game works. Certain restrictions would just cause havoc. E.g. gear - try not to conduct brainfarts too far outside of the currently-existing gear lines or roles when designing or fanboying up new classes. It just makes it look, like I said, awkward.

Would Runemasters wear Mage/Warlock gear but gain their melee stats from, say, Int/SP and the like? At what ratio, and would they still go for melee hit-cap? Or a spell hit cap as a second soft-cap (like Rogue poisons) for some Enha Shaman-like spellcasting-business? Also, Mage/Warlock gear wouldn't make them very Runemaster-y so to speak.

So they would use fist weapons... exclusively? Would Blizzard suddenly decide to defecate out a metric F-ton of fist weapons? Imagine the whine about Runemasters having automatic prio on all fist weapons, ever.

What does "etch their runes into their body" entail in-game? Personal armour enchants like the Death Knights' runeforging? To which slots? To what gear? To their body per se? The latter would be hell to balance, I'd imagine. "Oh yeah, I get free enchants without having to have gear in the slot." -"Do they stack with normal enchants on your gear?" -"Umm, I dunno..." ... do they? And what's the game-mechanical "point" of these etchings?

Would it be a new resource system? Their own "Holy Power/Soul Shards" in some fashion? What would it power? How would they regain this secondary resource? Would they use mana at all? How would they regain mana? Etc. etc.

Until these sorts of things get put into place, I remain skeptical and unbelieving. Still rootin' for Brewmasters just for shits n' giggles, though that's almost as unlikely to appear anytime soon. I frankly don't even want an 11th class...

everyone that is saying "HURR BUT DKS ARE ALREADY RUENMASTER DURR" no, just no. Runemasters and DK's are different in nearly every single possible way, EXCEPT for the fact they both use runes of some type.

It is nearly as stupid as saying, "ZOMG WHY IS THERE PRIESTS IN THE GAEM WHEN PALADNIS ALREADY USE HOLY MAGICKS?" or " ZOMG WHY CAN DRUIDS BE CATS WHEN PEOPLE COULD JUST PLAY A ROUGE".

I actually Hope to god a Runemaster class is released in this game, i have been angry at blizzard for years for changing disc spec in the priest tree to healing, instead of the Monk-archetype it was meant to be.

Also Inb4 "YOU SPELT WORDS WRONG!" i know, its to add to the affect that people saying those things are abit on the slow side.

Quote Originally Posted by Andergard View Post
    Yeah, I hear Arthas was this minor side-character in WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne. Oh, and I hear it wasn't Worgen you killed in Silverpine Forest, Shadowfang Keep and Grizzly Hills, but in fact stray dogs under the title 'Son of Arugal' and the like. Right?
    he said before Wotlk, Grizzly Hills was in Wotlk.
    Last edited by Pool of the Dead; 2011-02-06 at 05:10 AM.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!