Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Never played rift, and don't plan to. I haven't seen anything or read anything that would make me want to switch over to rift. The reason theres so much haters is because your trying to promote a "wowkiller" on a WOW forum.

The op mentioned how it is so different from wow, then goes on to say a group of 30 people to kill some very strong monsters. Sounds familiar to me. Kinda like 25man raids in wow? Like someone mentioned earlier, only different thing is rifts and talents/classes. And rifts aren't even that impressive. They're pretty much just spawn points with flashy animations that appear randomly.

On the other hand, I did hear of an mmo in development that will be about zombies. Essentially you play as a survivor and must rebuild the world with other survivors. Gather supplies, build, survive, and repopulate i think. Something like this, that isn't trying to be a cheap knockoff of wow, is the only thing I would consider switching for.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Before them the earth shakes, the heavens tremble, the sun and the moon darkened, and the stars no longer shine."

Its just another wow clone created to make quick cash and be abandoned in a few years. Inb4 "wow killer" just like AoC, STO, Warhammer.... etc etc etc.

wow is good, the best mmo but is not fun as it used to be, so i will try rift, is not like wow is shit is just that this xpac at least for me was nothing but a big disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by itsthemoops View Post
    The op mentioned how it is so different from wow, then goes on to say a group of 30 people to kill some very strong monsters. Sounds familiar to me. Kinda like 25man raids in wow? Like someone mentioned earlier, only different thing is rifts and talents/classes. And rifts aren't even that impressive. They're pretty much just spawn points with flashy animations that appear randomly.
    It's not always 30 people, you have the choice to join a random group of people around the area trying to close the rift, it can be 1 other perosn, or 40. Rifts are something to break up questing, giving good experience, and makes you interact with other people and the world around becuase if you don't close the rifts you have major invasions on cities.

Honestly I don't think that Rift will go very far. What sets it apart from all the other MMOs? WoW is simply not going to lose a significant amount of it's player base. Even if it did, it would be completely successful anyways. 12 million subscribers means at least 120 million dollars a month. That's not including purchases of the game itself. Currently, the entire set goes for at least 120 dollars. If at least 5 million play Cataclysm, that's 600 million dollars.

WoW will always be around and thriving. It's survived the so called killing of WoW so many times already. I doubt Rift will make a large difference.

I played Rift beta and found it... meh.

Your choice for factions are: Guardian or Defiant.. i think. And each of those factions has 3 races.

Guardian = Human, elf, dwarf
    Defiant = Purple human, purple elf, big purple human. BORING

The graphics are pretty good I guess, but the combat and running animations suck and the combat feels less polished and clunky compared to WoW.

Questing is very repetitive and boring which is not unlike a boring korean grinder. I played Defiant and spent like 18 levels in the same zone, and each level from about 13 on felt entirely too long and grindy. I believe I feel this way about the quests after being spoiled by the new, much more enjoyable questing system implemented in Cata.

Rifts are fun for a while, but I found myself ignoring them before I even left the starting quest area (the one after you do the mandatory story rift). Theres no real coordination to the big whole zone wide rifts. They open up in random spots and if you're there cool, if you're not dont bother cuz it will be closed in like 30 seconds since theres 100 other people there already. Even the big boss at the end isn't as epic as people say it is. I'm not really sure whats so awesome about killing some big boss with 300 other people, the 28 dps you did to him really didn't make a difference, you might as well just go finish that fire squirrel quest.

Also the lore is meh.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakebernard View Post
    Honestly I don't think that Rift will go very far. What sets it apart from all the other MMOs? WoW is simply not going to lose a significant amount of it's player base. Even if it did, it would be completely successful anyways. 12 million subscribers means at least 120 million dollars a month. That's not including purchases of the game itself. Currently, the entire set goes for at least 120 dollars. If at least 5 million play Cataclysm, that's 600 million dollars.

WoW will always be around and thriving. It's survived the so called killing of WoW so many times already. I doubt Rift will make a large difference.
    Although i definately don't think it will be a WoW killer by any means, i do think it'll get a good bit of people. Rift is something new to change up for people bored of WoW, it's similar with good graphics and improved in some areas. As stated before, personally i'm just bored of the same classes, i know how to play every class and it's nothing new to me when i do play a different one, which i find boring. Rift has over 200 combinations, and i'm having trouble just figuring out where to put my 3 souls in, and where to put what talents where, which i think is pretty cool. And not to mention the visual effects are pretty cool :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Missouri, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe 285.2b
    3 problem i personally have with Rift
    1. the font size and buttons are too damn small... yes i wear glasses but still...
    2. the talent system, while awesome, i expect to cause major major balance issues in the future.
    3. 98% of the people in the chat are obsessed with comparing it to WoW. yes they're similar, but dear god talk about something else.... lol

it's graphics are nice but, to me, suffer from the "realistically dark and dreary" complex, the setting fits, but sometimes i just want to look at something that doesn't look like it was designed by Stephen King.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it's a tie between WoW and Rift because they each have Mudder's Milk.

On a mor serious not, I just spent roughly 2hrs trying the Rift beta. Started with a warrior and chose some random ass talent trees. Honestly I was a little bored with it. Baseline warrior is basically a rogue with 3 instead of 5 combo points, and a power bar resource that I didn't pay much attention to. The talent trees build upon that by specializing in diseases, pet damage, bleeds, etc. After 5 levels though I really found myself bored, keep in mind though it could have been my fault because I did no research on how the trees synergize best.

After that I rolled a rogue, and with a little research(>5min) I picked up 3 trees that seem to synergize well. Rouge is the standard 5 combo system with an energy bar. This class was more appealing to me as I gained more abilities. Glancing over the trees I chose, it seemed like each attack lead smoothly into another instead of 5 of this attack followed by a finisher. Will probably test this more tomorrow.

Overall, I'd say I'm a tad indifferent about my feelings toward Rift. The character customization is a step in the right direction, but I felt it needed more options to round it off. The graphics as expected looked really nice, but the scenery and landscape didn't really seem to immersive. Keep in mind though these are opinions based only on starter content, and will most likely change for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingy View Post
    3 problem i personally have with Rift
    1. the font size and buttons are too damn small... yes i wear glasses but still...
    2. the talent system, while awesome, i expect to cause major major balance issues in the future.
    3. 98% of the people in the chat are obsessed with comparing it to WoW. yes they're similar, but dear god talk about something else.... lol

it's graphics are nice but, to me, suffer from the "realistically dark and dreary" complex, the setting fits, but sometimes i just want to look at something that doesn't look like it was designed by Stephen King.
    You realise you can increase the size of the UI scale, right? I found mine to be very small too, so i almost doubled the size of everything where all fits just fine but is a lot easier to see

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot237 View Post
    It's not always 30 people, you have the choice to join a random group of people around the area trying to close the rift, it can be 1 other perosn, or 40. Rifts are something to break up questing, giving good experience, and makes you interact with other people and the world around becuase if you don't close the rifts you have major invasions on cities.
    You can also form 40man raids of random people to kill world bosses in wow as well. Only difference is in rift its for the super exciting event of closing rifts. Yeah, have fun with that.

I went on beta and got the opposite, each to their own and stop making threads on the same shit.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it needs to be set in stone captain correct.

Deleted
    I don't like how playing one of them means you can't play the other one, or like both.

10+ Year Old Account
    No opinion either way, but it's funny to see people call Rift a ripoff of WoW like WoW was the first MMO. As an alt-aholic, the souls system is very intriguing. Not many of my friends are into WoW, so I pretty much lost my main incentive to stay. I'm trying to get into the beta, but if not, I'll probably buy it and give it a whirl.

That Rift thingy sounds really similiar to pre-cata elemental invasion event: random rifts, kill mobs, close rifts, go and battle big boss inside get lewts. It got boring really fast.

edit: and here i did it myself, comparing those 2 -.-
    "any type of person converting RL money into WoW is retarded by default." - Choppers
    "That makes all of WoW players retards, since we all pay our monthly fee." - Kenjji

10+ Year Old Account
    i haven't played rift myself. i've seen screen shots and trailers/teasers. i was told by a friend who did try the beta that while yes it did have very few bugs for being a beta he claimed it was TOO much like wow. he described it as taking some of the best elements from the various mmo's he has tried and putting it all into one game. he liked that it worked and also liked that someone was willing to learn from wow but he told me it didn't feel original.

idk personally i think it will wind up just like all the other "wow killers".

as a side note, anything that advertises itself with the slogan "you're not in azeroth anymore" is like the 8 year old that runs into a bg screaming to let him cap the flag cause he "knows what to do". but again. just my opinion.
    O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizards Hat View Post
    I don't like how playing one of them means you can't play the other one, or like both.
    I liked Guild Wars, Vangaurd, AOC, and Warhammer. Liking more than one isn't a problem. It's that these games take so much damn time that nobody with a shred of responsibility in their lives (kids/job/school) is capable of keeping up with two MMOs.

So lately I got into Rift beta, and of course everyone talks about WoW, and on this forum especially the "We're not in Azeroth anymore" thread, people seem to hate on Rift. Well i was wondering, what do all of you think Rift is like? Personally, i think it's a better, and similar version of WoW yet different in MANY areas, such as the souls and the immense Rift invasions where you have like 30 people in a particular raid group to kill some very tough bosses (health wise). Also for just a beta version, the number of glitches is incredibly low and smooth gameplay.

I feel it takes the problems of WoW, and improves them (such as numerous talent possibilities, i'm an altoholic in WoW and get tired of the same crap over and over, this is endless possibilities in Rift. Also, the graphics are much nicer (which is obvious, since WoW is 6 years old). Overall i just think it's a better game, without having any experience with end game so far so i can't give an opinion on that. So what do all of you think about both games, what do you hate about rift, or what do you hate about WoW?

I enjoyed RIFT beta, played 2 of them now, was just invited for this beta also.
    I don't feel it's a wow killer, as I see myself continue playing wow over Rift.
    I tried Age of Conan, and war hammer, and aion... all of which were meh at best.

War hammer brought pvp lvling, which wow took.... aion brought in wings, now this may just be coincidence but now flying is open in all of wow :P

A lot of people hate on wow for the "cartoonish" graphics, I rather like them. They can still do incredibly realistic landscapes, but people I guess want to feel it's real life iunno.

I for one enjoyed the multispeccing of RIFT, however in wow I hate hey cookie cutteringish they're making the builds, it used to be if you were a pvpr, in say destro or aff for a lock, there could be several pvp viable specs, especially with your arena rating within that one tree, now it seems for each class, mostly. There is only one pvp viable spec, and one build for that spec.

I can only see myself quitting wow for D3 or Titan, I like blizzard products. I played Diablo 2 for approx 6 yrs on an off, mostly on. I logged far more time on D2 Than I did on wow, and to put that in perspective, I currently have 7 x 85s and 8 other chars 80-84, yes some multies of classes.

I hope they don't try and hack proof d2 though, that's one thing I enjoyed about it... or if they do, they allow a place for hackers other than "open" b-net.

Something like Ladder is extremely safe, where as non-ladder would be allowed or even welcomed for people to modify games and droprates etc...

I learned some coding and stuff from D2 in my early years of how to operate a computer, and I hope others will have that opportunity with D3 in the semi-near future.

So lately I got into Rift beta, and of course everyone talks about WoW, and on this forum especially the "We're not in Azeroth anymore" thread, people seem to hate on Rift. Well i was wondering, what do all of you think Rift is like? Personally, i think it's a better, and similar version of WoW yet different in MANY areas, such as the souls and the immense Rift invasions where you have like 30 people in a particular raid group to kill some very tough bosses (health wise). Also for just a beta version, the number of glitches is incredibly low and smooth gameplay.

I feel it takes the problems of WoW, and improves them (such as numerous talent possibilities, i'm an altoholic in WoW and get tired of the same crap over and over, this is endless possibilities in Rift. Also, the graphics are much nicer (which is obvious, since WoW is 6 years old). Overall i just think it's a better game, without having any experience with end game so far so i can't give an opinion on that. So what do all of you think about both games, what do you hate about rift, or what do you hate about WoW?
    Love it, pre-ordered it, playing beta here and there but not often so I don't experience too much before the game even goes live