So loving Holy healing! (video link) Tips for healing as Holy =]

*******(Copied from my video's description on youtube)*******

youtube(.)com/watch?v=uWU1SJbYJ1U <----remove the parentheses

So I wanted to show holy priests and other players that it isn't as difficult at all as they make it seem to heal as a holy priest. I haven't played my priest since a few months before cataclysm and even then all I did was ding him to 80 and stopped. 2 of my 4 lvl 85s are tanks and I always seemed to have problems in groups with priest heals so I just had to see what was all the QQin about.

As soon as I specced and read all the talents I kinda had a picture on how to heal and started healing regular wrath dungeons to get a hang on things and went pretty smoothly. I felt confident enough to hit cata dungeons. Keep in mind I had reg 187 - 200 ilvl and 3 245 ilvl gear on. And it went pretty good even when the tank was not so good.

As you can see I'm level 82 and had gotten a few drops from instances and a few tailor healing gear (around half my gear doesn't have +spirit).In this video (Random LFD PUG) and all my prior instance runs, Heal uses less mana then what I regen. So with that in mind, I play it pro-actively. I spam heal and not sit there and wait 'till my tank loses hp. If he does while I'm waiting, more likely than not, the rest of the group also loses hp. So instead of me trying to catch up with healing the tank and then the group, I can concentrate and topping off the group then going back on the tank.

Tips, Rotation and mindset:

Chakra: Serenity is your friend and should always be up. Using dispell magic/disease is WAY better than healing through the DoTs dmg. Keep Prayer of Mending on cooldown. Renew on tank and keep it up with Heal. Knowing of incoming damage is key to time Prayer of Healing and Circle of Healing. Use Circle of Healing and Prayer of Mending to top off and to keep the rest of the group topped off. Flash heal shouldn't be used at all unless the free one procs or incase of an emergency. In this video I used it a handful times. Reason being, it eats through your mana very quickly.

Almost all of my abilities are keybound. Watch in high quality so you can see my layout better =]

Music: I got this mix from a fellow Youtube uploader named TranceSimmy.

1) Matias Lehtola feat. Gina J - Burning Bright (Original Mix)
    2) Talla 2XLC vs. Carl B feat. Katie Marne - Giving Up Giving In (Sean Tyas Remix)
    3) Beam feat. Michelle Aragon - Silent Tears (Sean Tyas Remix)
    4) John O'Callaghan feat. Audrey Gallagher - Big Sky (Agnelli & Nelson Remix)

Addons: Since I haven't played this character in so long I didn't have anything special and I was still very potent and had quick reactions with my heals So healing addons are not essential as some make you believe. What I do use in the video however are:

Recount (damage meter)
    CoolDownTimers (shows when my ability is ready)
    Quartz (casts)
    NiceDamage (font)
    All these can be found at Curse.com

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Rsin; 2011-02-07 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Changed title to clarify reasoning on the thread =]

Normal dungeons were never a challenge, Heroics are a big step up when you first enter them and used to cause priests issues before we got some huge buffs to our spirit %. Life as a priest now is good, we are prolly one of the best healers there is with the buffs to our Spirit regen we have got over the last few months.

Deleted
    once your geared you wont use heal at all anymore maybe as a filler but your able to spam greater heals then without going oom

anyway i like to play disc more than holy and i cant wait for the disc buff

Stepping into heroics as soon as I hit 85, I found that it wasn't a huge challenge on my Holy Priest. I only had problems when DPS or tanks would stand in fire/not use CC/etc. Mana's a pretty big issue before you hit 1500 Spirit or so, but just bring some potions along and keep your fiend/hymn up for bosses.

OP: Regular dungeons are as easy as Wrath heroics, and once you get some gear, heroics start to feel like that too.

Deleted
    I find this post rather useless.. For one BRC is by far the first and easiest normal dungeon to step into. You could probably off heal that. Mana cost on spells dont scale that much till 82+ So in theory your at full mana 95% of the time.

Holy is easy to heal...and gets easier as you get gear. Think i was on about 3k combat regen when i first did heroics when cata released. Now sat on 5k+. Just a waste of thread tbh. No healing is easy. And holy by far isnt. With a huge range of spells yo use, Picking he right one can make or break ur raid/heroic.

But saying that...i pretty much only use POH, COH and POM.

Deleted
    Hi Rsin. What video edition program did you use and what render options you used? Mb Sony Vegas? I'm trying to edit a video of mine but I can't get a decent result. Thanks!

Deleted
    Sorry, but lvl 82 is nothing like lvl 85. It's at 84 you start to feel the difference in mana, experiences from 82 matter very little for actual healing in heroics. Not saying it's hard, just saying it's a very different challenge and you should wait until you've actually healed heroics before you comment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarc View Post
    Hi Rsin. What video edition program did you use and what render options you used? Mb Sony Vegas? I'm trying to edit a video of mine but I can't get a decent result. Thanks!
    Even the free programmes like Windows Live Movie Maker can produce great results. I have used that to post videos of raids healing and the quality has turned out great. I never did like Sony Vegas

On Topic: Holy Priests are actually great atm. If any preist is QQin it's probably a Disc. But they will soon be balanced.
    Unfortunatley at level 82 you cannot judge a healing class. As you get to 83,84,85 with little gear upgrades in terms of stats. Your heals become less, your cast times become longer and overall you lose alot more mana.

I think its great you are trying to make a video to show healing, but really you need to be 85 and at least doing heroics before you can actually comment about it.

85s are tanks and I always seemed to have problems in groups with priest heals
    Just remember heroics are a great deal harder at starting level gear than a level 82 BWD. I don't think the video will actually help anybody.

Edit: Please note that just because i said 'a great deal harder' doesn't mean i think they are hard, only that the difficultly level is higher

Easy or not, I wanted to show that playing right makes a HUGE difference. I play like this in even in vortex pinnacle at 82 and still have plenty of mana. The post was really for those priests that have big problems, which is quite often since almost every time I tank REGULARS and heroics they're having lots of mana issues and aren't able to heal the group and go oom before the fight finishes or close to it.

With the right playstyle, not necessarily my own mind you, things can go very smoothly even with a bad pug.

I will be posting a few videos in heroics as soon as I can. Ty you for the replies.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 09:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarc View Post
    Sony Vegas Format: WM9 High Def 1280x720 saved as Windows Media Video V11 <--hope thats what you were looking for, Im pretty new with only being my second video edited. Can't seem to put up texts on my video though =/

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 09:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    On Topic: Holy Priests are actually great atm. If any preist is QQin it's probably a Disc. But they will soon be balanced.
    Unfortunatley at level 82 you cannot judge a healing class. As you get to 83,84,85 with little gear upgrades in terms of stats. Your heals become less, your cast times become longer and overall you lose alot more mana.

I think its great you are trying to make a video to show healing, but really you need to be 85 and at least doing heroics before you can actually comment about it.

Just remember heroics are a great deal harder at starting level gear than a level 82 BWD. I don't think the video will actually help anybody.

Edit: Please note that just because i said 'a great deal harder' doesn't mean i think they are hard, only that the difficultly level is higher
    I've just leveld My bear druid to 85 so I'm speaking about normals and with my Prot warrior I've done plenty of heroics and the issues are the same throughout. Hence why I put up the video. While leveling you will get the feeling on how to heal for 5 mans and the gear will naturally go up. The higher level I go I noticed the better I get so far*. I will be posting a video of when I hit 85 and doing heroics and see if I still have the same opinion but as of right now, Idk if its that most players are confused on how to play but I'm having a pretty chill time healing even subpar groups.

I've played disc the entirety of my leveling experience and went holy to go up to 85. I find it even easier to heal as disc and a fun spec it is.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 09:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar TH View Post
    I find this post rather useless.. For one BRC is by far the first and easiest normal dungeon to step into. You could probably off heal that. Mana cost on spells dont scale that much till 82+ So in theory your at full mana 95% of the time.

Holy is easy to heal...and gets easier as you get gear. Think i was on about 3k combat regen when i first did heroics when cata released. Now sat on 5k+. Just a waste of thread tbh. No healing is easy. And holy by far isnt. With a huge range of spells yo use, Picking he right one can make or break ur raid/heroic.

But saying that...i pretty much only use POH, COH and POM.
    I'm glad you're one of those who get it, the playstyle and the enjoyment. Theres still the issue from those who don't get it. This imo is pretty good visual and a few good tips to those priests who don't which is plenty. Idk if you play other toons but since my priest is my 5th character that I'm leveling up to 85 and three of them raid ready and one already doin heroic raids, I've experienced way too many bad heals (In regulars* and in heroics*) unfortunately and were mostly priests =[

Deleted
    As others pointed out before, a lvl80 dungeon, even a normal lvl85 is by far easier than a heroic. You don't need cc in a normal, and even if dps and tank fail on basic fight mechanics, you can still make up for their mistakes. Not in a heroic in starter gear. Especially not before the spirit regen buff. Those where challenging times.
    I don't see priests failing or QQ'ing more than other healers nowadays, if you do its just bad luck.
    And frankly you could say that its not hard to heal as a priest, its kinda true. For every class and role. So whats your point there?

Quote Originally Posted by decibell View Post
    As others pointed out before, a lvl80 dungeon, even a normal lvl85 is by far easier than a heroic. You don't need cc in a normal, and even if dps and tank fail on basic fight mechanics, you can still make up for their mistakes. Not in a heroic in starter gear. Especially not before the spirit regen buff. Those where challenging times.
    I don't see priests failing or QQ'ing more than other healers nowadays, if you do its just bad luck.
    And frankly you could say that its not hard to heal as a priest, its kinda true. For every class and role. So whats your point there?
    You're not getting what I'm trying to put out here. If you know the role then kudos to you. This is for those who struggle and need help and or tips. For which are plenty because just now on my mage (81) we had 2 priests quit group because they were having a lot of trouble with mana and still spamming flash heal.

Again, this is to those who still confused on their role in cata and might need the tips. If you know your class and how to heal then cool. I'm not trying to say im the man or brag on my skills. I'm simply showing that It is simple if you know what you're doing.

And to your last statement, every class can be deadly in the right hands, OP or gimped. =]