Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question When can i heal in heroics?

When the f*ck will i be able to heal in heroics?

This is my armory, http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../chriiz/simple

Is my talentspecc wrong or what is it, my items could be better... but i cant be arsed to queue up as dps anymore, especially when the queue times is 30 mins for each run and then it disbands because some dumbass tank disbands just because the healer "not me in this case" aint good enough and can heal the party.

I think the healing part is to hard for newly dinged healers who actually want to heal.

I have tried to heal some heroics and sometimes it goes "ok" but mostly i run out of mana because of me spamming flash heals and greater heals...

When will my ticks of heal become mighty enough to outheal the dps the mobs do to the tanks... iam kinda worried at the moment!

Is there any "BiS" normal dungeons list out there for us healers who cant heal heroics yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you haven't been arsed to make sure you were in the right spec or gear on your Battle.net profile, I am just going to presume it is.

1. Don't use PvP gear.
    2. Don't use Hit gear
    3. Don't suck
    4. ???
    5. Profit.
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

10+ Year Old Account
    enchant your 346er items like heartsong/hurricane on your weapon and the shoulder enchant from therazane rep. also i would change your meta gem to 54 int +2% mana (ember shadowspiritdiamond)

Ive taken a specc from www.wowpopular.com for my holy specc, and followed the advices in gems/enchanting tips from there, maybe not fully just because some of my items are shitty at the moment.

1. PvP gear = higher ilvl, plus its often better then the greenies found on AH.
    2. Iam still in my Shadowgear mixed with holy gear (cant change since iam at work at the moment)
    3. You can suck.
    4. ?
    5. I dont see where your answers gonna get me anywhere, i was looking for some "real advice" or some insight in how to solve the problem.

Welcome to the horrible world of PUGs.

Your gear is good enough. Really, it is. You may have been focusing a little too much on the haste, but no matter - it's good enough as-is. You can heal heroic with what you have. But only if your group use CC, take it slow and methodically, and your tank knows what he is doing.

Neither is likely to occur. Expect your tank to throw himself into a double pull, expect your dpsers to pull 4k DPS combined and to not have hotkeyed any CC ability. Expect to not be abllowed to drink, and expect to get blamed for failing to spam flash heal for 80 minutes straight, followed by a votekick.

Very few geared healers do PUG heroics. It's just not worth the stress. Meaning only the undergeared healers who have no choice do it. This has also caused tanks to grow bitter, since they only get crap-geared healers. As a result, only the woefully undergeared tanks who have no choice do heroics. It's a horribly combination, really. My worst PuG experience as a healer ever was a paladin tank carrying the least amount of HP in the group, was mostly wearing healing gear, and totally failed to pull aggro. I had to spam heal the tanking enhancement shaman that entire run.

If you can find a guild group, or a good HC group, you will likely be more than capable of healing the heroic though. Don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarganthos View Post
    enchant your 346er items like heartsong/hurricane on your weapon and the shoulder enchant from therazane rep. also i would change your meta gem to 54 int +2% mana (ember shadowspiritdiamond)
    I had to logoff when i recieved the new 2hander so i havent had time to enchant that staff, but i have enchanted all my other weps with heartsong.
    I will change the meta when i get time to logon again, thanks!

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Welcome to the horrible world of PUGs.

Your gear is good enough. Really, it is. You may have been focusing a little too much on the haste, but no matter - it's good enough as-is. You can heal heroic with what you have. But only if your group use CC, take it slow and methodically, and your tank knows what he is doing.

Neither is likely to occur. Expect your tank to throw himself into a double pull, expect your dpsers to pull 4k DPS combined and to not have hotkeyed any CC ability. Expect to not be abllowed to drink, and expect to get blamed for failing to spam flash heal for 80 minutes straight, followed by a votekick.

Very few geared healers do PUG heroics. It's just not worth the stress. Meaning only the undergeared healers who have no choice do it. This has also caused tanks to grow bitter, since they only get crap-geared healers. As a result, only the woefully undergeared tanks who have no choice do heroics. It's a horribly combination, really. My worst PuG experience as a healer ever was a paladin tank carrying the least amount of HP in the group, was mostly wearing healing gear, and totally failed to pull aggro. I had to spam heal the tanking enhancement shaman that entire run.

If you can find a guild group, or a good HC group, you will likely be more than capable of healing the heroic though. Don't hold your breath.
    Thanks alot, this made me feel alot better.. i will focus on getting a guildgroup instead, iam more of a casual pve player and rarely raid or do pvp, so when i want to play its usually random heroics. But hey, more cc it is, thanks again!

Deleted
    I started healing in 325 ilvl as holy priest, worked fine for me. As long as you're not bad and the group isn't bad, it should be fine.

Also, never spam Flash Heal. It's for emergency use only!

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    i know this, but whenever i heal in heroics i need to spam flash heals/greater heals... my heals aint just good enough yet, dunno why!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    ^ This. Also, it takes some getting used to but you should never not be casting if that makes sense. Heal is basically mana neutral so even if nothing is going on don't stop hitting it, you can top someone off or heal some anticipated incoming damage way faster than you would have. Another thing is, you really only have to top off the tank during a boss fight, most mechanics that hurt dps are completely avoidable and you should have plenty of time to get them up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharped View Post
    i know this, but whenever i heal in heroics i need to spam flash heals/greater heals... my heals aint just good enough yet, dunno why!
    You're doing it wrong. Even with a crappy tank, constant heal spamming in serenity is enough to top off a tank, especially with renew and holy word and possibly some prayer of mending. You should only have to do flash heal/greater heal combos when the tank goes below 30% HP which should only be in bursty situations on some packs and bosses.

Deleted
    Put renew on the tank, stay in Heal-Chakra, view "Heal" as your "auto-hit" and use your HW:Serenity often - it's very mana-efficient.
    As long as your tank is not severely undergeared, spamming heal combined with the renew-ticks and Serenity should keep the tank stable enough, that you have sufficient time to throw in your flash-heal when he significantly drops in health.
    Watch Surge-of-light procs and use them! Not only for the direct healing effect but also to build up Serendipity for free. With 2 Stacks of Serendipity your next emergency-heal should always be "greater heal".
    When shit hits the fan and you really have to spam: 2 flash, 1 greater heal - never spam only flash.
    And don't forget Guardian Spirit! It's off the GCD and with +40% healing you can easily bring a tank up to full health. A typical mistake of unexperienced healers is being to hesitant with CDs like GS. Use it when your tank drops too fast.

Last advice: While in WotLK dps and tanks could literally pull half the heroic while dps danced naked in voidzones and it didn't matter at all, as long as the healer was geared enough - this is not the case anymore! Even if you wear 359 healing-gear, your party ignoring fight mechanics (not interupting, standing in bad stuff, dps pulling aggro etc.) will die, whatever you do. Get used to it and don't get depressed.
    In WotLK it was not our job to save stupid, but we did 'cause it didn't matter.
    Now we can't and shouldn't try to - it will only lead to frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by tobberoth View Post
    You're doing it wrong. Even with a crappy tank, constant heal spamming in serenity is enough to top off a tank, especially with renew and holy word and possibly some prayer of mending. You should only have to do flash heal/greater heal combos when the tank goes below 30% HP which should only be in bursty situations on some packs and bosses.
    It's entirely possible that he is doing it wrong. But when I was healing with his level of gear the only time I had to spam FH and GH was when there was no CC being used or someone was standing in fire. (Edit: Or didn't understand the mechanics of the pull/boss.)

The end.

Having a tank and dps that don't have their heads in their asses makes a metric ton of difference early in gear.

Once you're up to about ilvl 345 you can start compensating for bads. Even then in the harder heroics they will still die. Let them. Point out why they died and move on. Don't let that stuff stress you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends, if your bad at playing pretty much never if your good the exact moment you hit 329 item level

I actually made an account for this (Had to remove some macro parts ++ cus it treated it as links, and I cant post links yet)

You have good enough gear for healing heroics, but perhaps not good enough for Grim Batol. Forgemaster throngus can be hard to heal during shield phase with many cloth users (cus of the arrows). This doesn't mean you wont wipe though. If people take avoidable damage its often a wipe if you have normal dungeon gear. I dont know the mentiality of the players now, but when I dinged (in December) people were used to wiping and understood that it wasnt allways the healers foult. This may very well have changed now as more casual players get their chars to 85, also many over geared ppl wanting faster runs.
    All in all, just cus you fail, dosnt have to be your foult. IMO with your gear, it shouldnt be your foult. I entered heroics with 334 ish gear (2 pvp items just to push be over) without any enchants or gems and healed as disc (holy now). I didnt finish Grim Batol the first days though.

Id take this for glyphs and talents:
    I cant link, but go on wowhead and write this after dot com
    /talent#bcoZfurMRzrkcdohb:aVo0bR0Vz

I dont know how much to tell you, you probably know a lot, but Ill say some things many priests don't think about :

- Shadow word death... Imba paired with the glyph, killing something with it isn't easy, but you will get the hang of it and as long as your spell hits more or less exactly the same time as another person does his/hers kill shot/hit you will still get it (it has to be really really close though). Don't expect to rely on getn mana back from it, but when you do... you get A LOT of mana back

If you get hit by aoe, or just lose some HP, use binding heal on a target that also has low HP, binding heal is actually a very mana efficient heal (mana cost is low vs the amount it heals for) Its also much faster then "heal". Since you have the talent called "Serendipity" (wich everyone should have) it lowers the cast and mana cost of your greater heal or prayer of healing. So, say you take much damage and another target takes much damage, use binding heal twice, its as fast as flash heal but heals much more (heals 2 targets, heals each target little less then flash heal though) Then you can cast a greater heal for a much reduced cast time and cost.

Many people dont use power word: Serenity and Circle of healing enough. Use a power word: Serenity and cast one (or 2 of you got enough haste) right after (if target is that low)

Many people dont use lightwel, nor guardian spirit either either

Other tips, Don't keyboard turn. Although you might think you can press the abilities just as fast with your muse as other people can press with their fingers, you will still have to move your eyes to the abilities and therefore losing the overview of the fight.

REFORGE You have to much haste for your regain. Many think haste is good so that they can use heal more efficient, but IMO don't do that. Reforge as much as you can into mastery (or ofc into spirit if you can do that)
    Last edited by Lanfear1; 2011-02-07 at 03:10 PM.

Based on your gear, and the fact that you are playing [arguably] the best healing class/spec in the game right now, there is no reason why you shouldn't be healing heroics in your current gear. Healing has changed dramatically and if you were actively healing in wrath or even late BC with patch 3.0 you will need to adjust to avoid 1)going OOM, 2) learning how to keep people up, 3) knowing that you don't ALWAYS have to keep people topped up [especially true in heroics]. I would suggest checking out any of the 1000s of WTF my healing is so gimp QQ threads on these forums to see what good healers are doing. I could answer here directly but don't want to crit everyone reading this with a wall of text for 300k.

Your gear looks fine.

I found that healing as Holy was very mana consuming. Besides what people have already suggested I haven't much to add.

You need to run guild groups, though. PuGs aren't going to wait for you to get mana, they aren't going to CC, the DPS is going to be crap, and you'll probably get a lot of lip if someone dies because they just HAD to stand in that aoe and just couldn't interrupt it and YOU were supposed to heal them through it.

Conserve mana. Always. Be aware what your raid is doing. If I see DPS standing in shit and not moving I don't waste the mana to heal them. If they want a bitchfest they will open a can of whoopass they shouldn't have gone near to begin with.

Be tough, too. INSIST that your tank uses CC , mark things and announce what they are for, and if they say 'nah we don't need CC' let them die when they pull. If you get kicked you don't get as long of a dungeon CD than if you leave. Plus if they get stuck with a crappy healer they won't be able to kick them - and then it's their fault, because they should have listened to you. Don't put up with crap when you are healing, because your job in heroics is a lot friggin harder than anyone else's.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Thanks for all the replies, i would just like to point out that iam still a casual healer doing some randoms from time to time, iam a pve lover but i dont do raids or pvp to get uber shiny purp epics. But still, i want to play my healer "iam still shadow" and ive taken notes on what some of you actually have pointed out. And i think ive found some of the problems ive been doing, and going to try them out next time iam playing.

1. Chakra is way underestimated in my world i think *going to change that*
    2. Spam heal is something i didnt do *will spam next time*
    3. Gonna try out the new "talent specc" Lanfear1 posted here *who knows that might do it*
    4. Regem haste to spirit / mastery. *read somewhere, actually on these forums that haste is the SHIT for priests these days... so i trusted em!*
    5. Try to not crit myself with 300k whine QQ threads in the future. *looks at Wonderdrugs comment*

Thanks for all the replies, i would just like to point out that iam still a casual healer doing some randoms from time to time, iam a pve lover but i dont do raids or pvp to get uber shiny purp epics. But still, i want to play my healer "iam still shadow" and ive taken notes on what some of you actually have pointed out. And i think ive found some of the problems ive been doing, and going to try them out next time iam playing.

3. Gonna try out the new "talent specc" Lanfear1 posted here *who knows that might do it*
    4. Regem haste to spirit / mastery. *read somewhere, actually on these forums that haste is the SHIT for priests these days... so i trusted em!*
    5. Try to not crit myself with 300k whine QQ threads in the future. *looks at Wonderdrugs comment*
    As I leveled and started doing heroics I found that many guides werent that good for me. After a little while I found out that this was because I didnt have the gear for it. Haste gives more hps (heal per sek), but mastery gives you free heal. With your current gear you wil benefit more form mastery then haste As for spamming heal, dont worry about the 5 sek rule, we regain so much. Just spam "heal" but dont overheal

Also, dont buy any BOE crafted epics, heroic spirit gear is better and got much better socket bonus (On the top of my head, BOE crafted pants give 20 haste as a socket bonus, while some heroic pants give 30 intel, got 1 more socket and actually has spirit on it)

I only have 2 epics (the belt and the valor boots) and the rest is heroic blues, I still heal 7/12 raid bosses with ease(not saying Im king, just saying that heroic blues are good)

ps, get +2% increased mana meta gem. Crit is our worst stat. With a few epics and rest heroic blues: Intel>Spirit>Mastery>haste. When you get better gear mastery and haste is just as good, depending on the fight.

Edit: Just did another overview of your items/ reforge choices. I'm shocked that you only have 1028 combat regain, even with rainsong. Its no wonder your getn oom when you reforge like you do:P

A few notes.. I am mainly going to try to give advice for post 4.0.6 since it is Tuesday.

1. This will be a lot easier after the patch with the longer duration.
    2. That will help a lot, as long as there is health to be healed then heal is very efficient.
    3. That spec actually looks off a little bit. Different people have different tastes but this is what I would spec post 4.0.6.
    http://ptr.wowhead.com/talent#bcbZfu...zohb:Vozq0zzVM
    Some points can be moved around of course. Veiled Shadows SHOULD be moved actually until you are raiding. Body and Soul, Divine Touch, and Mental agility are all mediocre talents with Body and Soul only being useful in specific circumstances.
    I think the glyph for lightwell is one of the best glyphs we can choose. It takes the highest HPM spell in the game and increases it by 50%. Which on that note I think you should make a macro to spam announce every time you put up a lightwell. Also to make sure people know how to use it prepull.

I want to note the talent changes you may be unaware of that made me choose the spec I posted.

Desperate Prayer - Not a talent I would have gone with pre-4.0.6, but the change to it makes it a very useful emergency button. A free ~35-40k instant self heal every 2min.
    Surge of Light - Now procs from Greater Heal and Flash Heal makes this a talent that many wouldn't have picked up before into a more useful one.
    State of Mind - Wasn't very good before, isn't very good now. Very situationally useful I suppose, but would be better to spend the points elsewhere.
    Blessed Resilience - This is really just a tooltip update, but it is worth noting how good this talent is for self healing. There are few aoe spells that actually do less than 10% of your health. So this effectively increases your healing received by 30% at nearly all times you would even need healing.
    Chakra - Lasting a minute makes it easier for someone who isn't used to refreshing it to do so. It is also a big upgrade to have it proc into Serenity from Greater Heal, Flash Heal, and Binding Heal. So you no longer have to cast Heal to proc it.

Glyph of Mending is also a great addition and is a required Major Glyph being one of the few that actually increases healing. 'The first heal of your Prayer of Mending heals for an additional 60%.

4. Haste actually is the greatest secondary stat for increasing throughput. However as you are having mana problems spirit and mastery increase mana regen. Mastery does so indirectly. By giving you extra heals on every heal you do, you have to heal less.

Quote Originally Posted by lanfear1
    As for spamming heal, dont worry about the 5 sek rule, we regain so much.
    There is no 5sec rule anymore. It is either in combat regen, or out of combat regen.
    About EP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    With the usual caveats about these numbers being based on a specific set of gear which probably isn't what you're using, such that these answers will be approximately right but not exact
    Vanilla: 60 Shaman
    BC: 70 Rogue, 70 Druid
    Wrath: 80 Druid, 80 Paladin, 80 Shaman, 80 Rogue
    Cata: 85 Rogue (Holmés), 85 Priest (Naclwater)