Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hello Rift, Goodbye WoW...for now

After having been invited into the Beta event this past weekend for Rift, I have decided that I will be quitting WoW for at least the next few months.

For any of those who have played it, it does seem kind of like WoW 2.0...but only in the control scheme and how the game plays....but the content is obviously different. This fact is what makes it so approachable and also extremely polished for a game still in Beta, albeit with a release date less than 3 weeks away.

The graphics are good, not overdone, but better than WoWs and easily scaled depending on PC capability, the talent trees/ souls are diverse and enjoyable and the way you acquire new skills is very intuitive. you ultimately get 3 "souls" with different roles, you decided on which one is your main focus and put points into it, the more points you put in, the more abilities you get specific for that role/ soul, while the other 2 act as support, It leads to HUGE possibilities for role variability, but also to plain terrible combinations.

The Rift events, as the game is primarily based around as the name implies, are very entertaining and easily enjoyable. They occur randomly in all zones and are level appropriate for the areas they spawn in, so while your questing, if one blows up over your head, you won't be out of your league....sort of. Think of it like small dungeon events in WoW...so you have elite mobs your level spawning, so you can solo them one on one depending on your class but don't expect to solo the whole rift. It makes the leveling experience different every time, and easily and fluidly breaks up the questing grind so if you're bored of questing, there's usually a rift somewhere that you can tackle. Also the opposing faction (NPC's usually, but PC's can also be there) creeps into the zone and sets up camps and tries moving in on your territory. Once they are their long enough they start to spread out and take over questing hubs until they are beaten back. This gives a very "living world" feeling to the whole game and doesn't really feel imposing because you get rewards for doing both Rifts and opposing faction hunting.

The magical thing about both of these events is that if there are a number of other players participating in these events simultaneously, a little button pops up that asks if you want to join the public group. hit the button and you are automatically added to a group and get to participate with other people, get group heals, give group heals, share rewards and make friends...all while experiencing the game content at your leisure.

In any case, for those who haven't thought much about it, I highly encourage you to at least try out Rift if you are able. It is familiar enough to WoW to make it a very easy transition, but it is far from a WoW clone. Just because someone uses an idea that works, even if someone else came up with it, doesn't make it copying necessarily, it means they can use what works and be able to focus on the parts the game that really matter, like the content and I think Rift delivers. Why reinvent the wheel or try to fix what isn't broken?

There are so many buttons and attacks in Rift that I get confused as to what I should be pressing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snookeys View Post
    There are so many buttons and attacks in Rift that I get confused as to what I should be pressing
    Yeah, can be quite a big change from using your dipping drinking bird for WoW.

Deleted
    Confusing at 1st as all 3 trees you obtain at low level have similar basic attacks, but as you put points in the trees, you will see that only the attacks in your main tree will get buffed by the talents and, later on, the situation is pretty much settled.

The problem is all the souls get some base abilities, you should prioritise those abilites you have boosted in the. I am running a ranger (3pts) Assassin (26pts) Bard (17pts) so I use Savage STrike 5combos baneful touch then Final Blow Finishers, keeping up my bard buffs on the group. In pvp roughly the same but I have a pet and ranged attacks if I am out of melee range ( + i get poison effects on the arrows).

Deleted
    yeah. so many buttones which do absolutly the same.

Hello Rift thread #4523
    Wasn't there like 3 threads about reviews only.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    yeah. so many buttones which do absolutly the same.
    Of which you will only use the ones in your main boosted tree...

Duh... 2 melee dps trees have similar abilities, which should is use herp a derp...

This is the reason balancing will be a lot easier than people think...

Oh my rogue can do same damage in melee range with daggers as it can at range with arrows... oh what you mean like a mage can with fireballs at whatever range?

People just don't think about this stuff logically.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also was in the Beta and the game gets old fast. The quests are too linear, even more than WoW. Also, there are no different starting zones so once you pick a faction and level through you do the exact same thing on an alt unless your on the other faction. The graphics are good yes, but its 2011 all the game's graphics are good now. The class system is pretty decent too, but it has too many spells that are useless and the Rifts get old after the first 5 times you do them and they are not spawned randomly at all. Developers even stated that they have set locations to spawn.

I would wait for Guild Wars 2 or wait until Rift goes F2P after a couple months, if you are looking to play another game.

On my cleric, which attacks to use is a non-issue. If it doesn't do life damage, it isn't a priority and I can take it off my bar. I have a ranged attack, a debuffing attack, a main attack, and a cleave. Into those I work in my mana regen abilities, heals, and damage shield as needed.

On my mage, I have dots from each soul. Use them all! I have a nuke from each soul too. I use one to refresh a dot, one to maintain stacks of a debuff, and one for burst. I could use just one and do alright, but I am rewarded for putting in the extra effort in a longer fight.

you know when if ever I decide to leave I'll just leave no goodbye, no fucking making a pointless thread, no stupid idiotic bashing I'll just leave.
    and I'll be better then all those who make these kind of threads on sheer virtue of that.
    Last edited by mordale; 2011-02-07 at 05:24 PM.

Rift is pretty boring. I think what made me so bored with it, though, is that it's really no different from WoW. It's the exact same schema copied and pasted with improved graphics. Unfortunately, as a gamer who grew up with sprites and worse, I don't care how a game looks... ever :P Let us know how it is, though, I'm interested to see how other people respond. Keep in mind I didn't say it was bad, I just said I didn't have a great experience with it. I expect lots of people to switch over... at least for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticsnow65 View Post
    Rift is pretty boring. I think what made me so bored with it, though, is that it's really no different from WoW. It's the exact same schema copied and pasted with improved graphics. Unfortunately, as a gamer who grew up with sprites and worse, I don't care how a game looks... ever :P Let us know how it is, though, I'm interested to see how other people respond. Keep in mind I didn't say it was bad, I just said I didn't have a great experience with it. I expect lots of people to switch over... at least for a while
    Not that I disagree on any certain point, but take "Rift" out and insert "WoW" and then where you have WoW in the first sentence, replace it with basically any other MMO that existed before WoW. The entire thing falls exactly into place. How else did WoW become so successful? They took the good things from the other MMO's and combined it. Same formula.

TL;DR - If it isn't broke, why fix it?

Deleted
    OP: I will most likely be joining you and WoW will get another chance to impress me once Rift slips up

I hope DCUO, RIFT, TERA, SWTOR etc. will all get their separate forums so that things will look a tad bit more organized.

Quote Originally Posted by KtN View Post
    OP: I will most likely be joining you and WoW will get another chance to impress me once Rift slips up
    Kinda hard to go back to wow after playing some of these newer games. Just feels flat in comparison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    I think 30 would be more precise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Hello Rift thread #4523
    Doesn't matter. It's in the off topic of games section. If you want to see WoW stuff look at the other 50 sub categories. Gtfo out Rift with your random garbage posts.

I get what your saying. Try looking at the different abilites another way, like for me, this past event I wanted to try out the ranger/marks/sab trio. I was in the same spot you are, wondering why the hell i have all these different attacks which generate me 1 combo pt. but then i learned that if i use attack A i can rack up pts faster with less initial dmg, but with attack B, i carve out some nice dmg but with just 1 combo pt generating. there are underlying reasons to each and every ability that makes up Rift, just be ready to read and test.

btw, Rift dungeons are fun.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 06:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stixxz View Post
    Doesn't matter. It's in the off topic of games section. If you want to see WoW stuff look at the other 50 sub categories. Gtfo out Rift with your random garbage posts.
    ^ *like* *like* *like*

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 06:22 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Ampd413;10364363]I also was in the Beta and the game gets old fast. The quests are too linear, even more than WoW. Also, there are no different starting zones so once you pick a faction and level through you do the exact same thing on an alt unless your on the other faction. QUOTE]

Keep in mind they had a closed world during beta, only select zones were open. I doubt trion would have 1....just 1, specific zone everytime to play through. if it doesn't make sense why do it? Beta client is vastly different from the actual game client i.e. no zone boundries, debugger off (which may be why folks have low fps), finalized soul trees, no more varying racials, different quests. its just going to take a huge leap forward come Feb. 24 (pre-orders CE) or March 1st (regular release).