Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitzu View Post
    If you don't have the 2 points into Twisted Faith, guess what. You'll miss smites and you'll miss heals.
    You know there's a glyph for that, right?

That aside, I would assume you aren't smiting for the entirety of the fight. Atonement works because of the damage multiplier, which isn't applied until after drakes start dieing. Unless I'm missing something, you are going to need to be casting heals for some portion of the fight.

You sir is farther away from the correct specc then he is, please do not give the OP false advices when you don't know what you're talking about, the specc that i provided is the "correct" one, as both of you are missing out on the 7 talent points in Shadow that's very much needed for this specc to work proper. If you don't have the 2 points into Twisted Faith, guess what. You'll miss smites and you'll miss heals. also your specc doesn't contain the 3% haste which is very much needed for this specc as well.

Also why on earth would you specc into Empowered Healing, you're Attonement specced for a reason on this single encounter, you're not going to use Heal, Flash Heal or Greater heal at all, period. If you do, then you might as well go back to a normal healing specc as you're missing out on the whole point of the specc and making it more or less usefull and not utilizing the specc even remotely close to its potential.

Also Arachnan, your specc weren't correct, but it were closer to the correct specc then he were.
    Please at least have some knowledge of priest glyphs. Glyph of Divine Accuracy increases your chance to hit with smite by 17%, soooo yeah do some research first.

You sir is farther away from the correct specc then he is, please do not give the OP false advices when you don't know what you're talking about, the specc that i provided is the "correct" one, as both of you are missing out on the 7 talent points in Shadow that's very much needed for this specc to work proper. If you don't have the 2 points into Twisted Faith, guess what. You'll miss smites and you'll miss heals. also your specc doesn't contain the 3% haste which is very much needed for this specc as well.

Also why on earth would you specc into Empowered Healing, you're Attonement specced for a reason on this single encounter, you're not going to use Heal, Flash Heal or Greater heal at all, period. If you do, then you might as well go back to a normal healing specc as you're missing out on the whole point of the specc and making it more or less usefull and not utilizing the specc even remotely close to its potential.

Also Arachnan, your specc weren't correct, but it were closer to the correct specc then he were.
    Once upon a time there was a glyph that hit capped your smite spell (provided you're 85) which made going into Shadow for the 2/2 TF trivial.
    Once upon a time there was also this guy full of himself completely ignoring this glyph when he decided to bash on someone else.

15+ Year Old Account
    As already stated, it's been primarily used on Heroic mode to take advantage of the 200%+ damage debuff he gets - Smite hits, and heals, like a truck at that point.

In normal, I haven't really found a smite priest necessary as any particular Drake combo isn't exactly that hard.

No, i did not forget that, as you can see i did put that in the specc's glyphs.

Why do you want the hit? i'll tell you.

Yes, 18% hit chance on smite is alot, but it's not the only spell that you'll use, if you go through the glyphs again you see that i got Glyph of Smite also, what does it do? it increases the damage of smite while your Holy Fire buff is up, imagine the Halfus Damage taken buff + that one, as said. Before Attonement were being capped i hit for over 100k Attonement heals during Halfus, the numbers wouldn't be even near without that.

So short answer, no, the Glyph alone for 18% hit with smite wont cut it.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 09:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by greywaffles View Post
    Please at least have some knowledge of priest glyphs. Glyph of Divine Accuracy increases your chance to hit with smite by 17%, soooo yeah do some research first.
    Have some Knowledge of Priests and do some research first? Please, don't even get me started here when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

As stated in the previous post of mine, there you got the reason for why you should have 2 points in Twisted Faith, now go read up some yourself and come back when you're even remotely close to my knowledge and my healing.

@ Archicortex

once upon a time, there were something called Glyphs that appears on the link that i provided, during this time it were also common sense to read and understand before trying to bash someone, Smite isn't all that you're using to use this method for Halfus Healing with attunement, as previous user before you, i'll let you both know that you both need to read up and have complete knowledge of the class and the difference aspects and speccs of the class as well as general understanding on the mechanics before you ever try to misslead the OP again which is asking for advices, not missleading and wrong words.
    Last edited by Chitzu; 2011-02-07 at 08:34 PM.

It's off of any Holy Fire on the target. If you are only using one Priest, sure maybe, but you will probably be using 3 or so, at least that's what I've seen as the norm. On that note, remember that the smite heal is capped at 30% of the Priests health. So more damage is nice, but it has a cap. It really is a waste to spec into Twisted Faith as your points could be better spent elsewhere.

Ainra, there's no priest that should what so ever use Holy Fire other then the attonement specced priest that's using this specc, if a Shadow priest would use this i would literarely laugh at him and he would get Gkicked for not doing optimal DPS.

If a healer would do it that's not Attonement specced i would kick him out of the Guild for doing that on Halfus when he got work 100% of the time to do and got no time to spent the GCD + Cast time to cast a Holy fire on Halfus, also he shouldn't be wasting his mana on that. There's fights that allow slack, this one doesn't.

So no, there wont be any other Holy Fire up on the boss but yours that's attonement specced.
    As for better points to spend it on? There's none else that will benefit your healing as Smite Disc specc, the talents that i've not specced into is useless with this kind of specc as you'll not cast Gheal, Heal, Flash Heal, Binding heal and yeh... you name it, you wont use them as this specc or you can once again, go back to a normal Heal specc and don't even try this specc again.

Also to add in what you all go wrong, Me and priests from top Guilds that's using exactly the same speccs and Glyphs, you saying that we're all wrong? I Checked there speccs right after we had our first attempts on Halfus Heroic and they had just got it down, they all were in the same specc as i provided here, it got all the needed utility for the specc and cut out all uneeded talents that there is.
    Last edited by Chitzu; 2011-02-07 at 08:42 PM.

Deleted
    Hanzi... your English is atrocious, also you are aware we have 3 glyph slots right? meaning you can take Glyph of Smite and Glyph of Divine Accuracy at the same time, that is.. assuming you even need glyph of smite considering your smite heals wil most likely be capped on H Halfus from the 250% dmg modifier.

Speccing into TF imo is a complete waste when you can quite as easily glyph Div Acc.

Also, there's no need to be so offensive to others, they're simply trying to help, no need to insult them.
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2011-02-07 at 08:41 PM. Reason: put 150% instead of 250%.

No, i did not forget that, as you can see i did put that in the specc's glyphs.

Why do you want the hit? i'll tell you.

Yes, 18% hit chance on smite is alot, but it's not the only spell that you'll use, if you go through the glyphs again you see that i got Glyph of Smite also, what does it do? it increases the damage of smite while your Holy Fire buff is up, imagine the Halfus Damage taken buff + that one, as said. Before Attonement were being capped i hit for over 100k Attonement heals during Halfus, the numbers wouldn't be even near without that.

So short answer, no, the Glyph alone for 18% hit with smite wont cut it.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 09:31 PM ----------

Have some Knowledge of Priests and do some research first? Please, don't even get me started here when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

As stated in the previous post of mine, there you got the reason for why you should have 2 points in Twisted Faith, now go read up some yourself and come back when you're even remotely close to my knowledge and my healing.

@ Archicortex

once upon a time, there were something called Glyphs that appears on the link that i provided, during this time it were also common sense to read and understand before trying to bash someone, Smite isn't all that you're using to use this method for Halfus Healing with attunement, as previous user before you, i'll let you both know that you both need to read up and have complete knowledge of the class and the difference aspects and speccs of the class as well as general understanding on the mechanics before you ever try to misslead the OP again which is asking for advices, not missleading and wrong words.
    Your knowledge and your healing?
    If you're going to be saying things like that, i suggest you post a link as to where i can see you healing in action. Adding combatlog parses would be nice too. Otherwise you'll just come off as arrogant, nothing more.

As for the Glyph of Smite argument. It's not necessary, and especially is it dependant on what kind of a setup you run and whether it is 10man or 25man raiding. For 10man, that glyph isn't worth it, i'd rather spend my points elsewhere considering i'd generally be the only priest smiting Halfus. For 25man the same applies unless you have multiple priests doing so, where one of them is casting holy fires to increase everyone's damage.

In short, it's unsightly seeing you jump to conclusions like that and ending it with a "mr-know-it-all" statement.

Edit: Saw you edited your post to reply to me aswell. You could've saved yourself the trouble since it contained nothing new. It was just you going on about how knowledgable and clever you are. Ironically you're actually countering your own argument, because whilst you're making this out to be something very complex and hard, it really isn't. If you're of the belief that you know more or have some divine understanding of the Smite-spec and Halfus scenario than most other people, then you may want to recheck yourself. The only thing you have which the rest of the posters don't, is an ego the size of a planet and a different opinion.
    Last edited by Archicortex; 2011-02-07 at 08:48 PM.

@Chitzu - So you take non-attonement spec Priests to Heroic Halfus? That seems like a waste. You are the one who brought up that Smite does more damage with Holy Fire up thanks to the glyph, which is why I commented on it. On your other notes - you do not have to ONLY cast Smite. Therefore, there are other things that would be better to spend your points on. While you could only cast smite, it really depends how you handle dragons (ie how many you let out at once, kill order, etc). And, as I said, remember that there is a cap on the heal from Attonement - 30% of the Priests health. Spending your points in TF = a waste, no matter how you spin it.

What I would suggest to others: you will probably be taking around 3 Priests on a Heroic Halfus kill. They should all be specced for attonement, and only one of them really needs to cast Holy Fire. A good choice would be your off specd SPriest if you are using one. Regardless, there is a cap (I think I said that 9832 times) to the heal from Attonement so it's really not a big deal. The most important part of the Attonement spec is getting the Divine Accuracy glyph and realizing that you do not have to cast only smite.
    Last edited by ainra; 2011-02-07 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy fire is really not needed for halfus normal or heroic...holy fire can miss so the best thing to do is max out talents that reduce the cast time/efficiency of smite. You can pick up inner sanctum for reduced magic damage and focused will if you want even more survivability otherwise take a couple points in darkness for more haste for more throughput. The glyphs that are important glyph of divine accuracy and probably glyph of pw:barrier.

Really though smiting is the best thing you can do as none of your other heals can do nearly the healing of smite..let the other healers take care of the raid etc. On heroic mode we use 3 discs smiting and 90% of our healing is atonement. I will throw pom and a shield to get mana back but that is it. I use fiend on CD and infusion on CD on myself.

On heroic mode you really don't have time to holy fire as the damage is INSANE on the tanks for that fight. You just smite your heart away and have fun healing while dps'ing. The extra smite dps does help the fight and the raid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly all you have to do to win is smite w/ your AA and PI up... and use a barrier.

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    Durr? Don't you always glyph for http://www.wowhead.com/item=45758 ?
    I was thinking of the same thing, I really don't think that guy knows what he is talking about, Glyph of divine accuracy saves you a good 5 talent points, maybe more...

This is the spec I use for Halfus. It's a very utility based spec and you could also swap SoL for Inspiration - I've ran it both ways. There's other things like Imp Renew over Emp Healing, for instance, if you chose to take Inspiration over SoL, then grab Imp Renew over Emp Healing IMO.

There really isn't much you can mess up here in terms of spec. The most important thing for you to do in terms of healing is popping Archangel at the right time, when there's a massive number of people to heal - you could even save PI for this time too. Use Barrier at the start in Heroic or Normal, whenever you have the most incoming damage and then again before a Roar - Glyph PS so you can cast it during a Roar when needed (as apposed to potentially wasting it casting it before).
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Ainra, there's no priest that should what so ever use Holy Fire other then the attonement specced priest that's using this specc, if a Shadow priest would use this i would literarely laugh at him and he would get Gkicked for not doing optimal DPS.
    What I think Ainra meant was that some guilds use multiple Atonement spec priests. In which case, you could possibly assign 1 or 2 (rotating) to use Holy Fire while the rest of the disc priests just smite spam.

However, I don't think it is worth it to use Holy Fire after the Atonement healing cap change. The % increase Smite gets from Holy Fire doesn't outweigh the "lost" casting time you could have spent on Smite instead of Holy Fire in the first place. Also, casting Holy Fire briefly stops your healing, making your healing more spiky.

Quote Originally Posted by Archicortex View Post
    Your knowledge and your healing?
    If you're going to be saying things like that, i suggest you post a link as to where i can see you healing in action. Adding combatlog parses would be nice too. Otherwise you'll just come off as arrogant, nothing more.

As for the Glyph of Smite argument. It's not necessary, and especially is it dependant on what kind of a setup you run and whether it is 10man or 25man raiding. For 10man, that glyph isn't worth it, i'd rather spend my points elsewhere considering i'd generally be the only priest smiting Halfus. For 25man the same applies unless you have multiple priests doing so, where one of them is casting holy fires to increase everyone's damage.

In short, it's unsightly seeing you jump to conclusions like that and ending it with a "mr-know-it-all" statement.
    Thread: Why is Smite OP on Halfus?

As stated in my post, i did it on 25-man Heroic and i clearly stated that in my first post, sure i can post Screenshots of my healing, parses i cannot provide as i'm no longer playing this game and the Parses isn't public.

But here's some of the Screenshots.

http://img809.imageshack.us/i/rank1u.png/

There's one to mention, been ranked 1.st on several fights in Cataclysm, this is rather early as well and as said, i no longer play since about 3 weeks~ back, so people have more then likely bypassed me on healing as they've gotten more gear, also i'm not showed up on the lists for the simple reason that i said before, the logs is not public meaning that my rankings is only showed up to those with access.

Using the smite glyph is not an HPS increase anymore b/c the base heal is capped at 30% of the preist's health. The extra damage from the Smite glyph is wasted when it transfers to atonement, ergo using HF is a DPS increase, but an HPS decrease [because HF does not proc atonement].

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    Durr? Don't you always glyph for http://www.wowhead.com/item=45758 ?
    Yeah smite is already covered by the glyph, I guess the hit would help with hitting holy fire. Is it that important?

edit: Well that got answered. Just use the glyph and don't worry about hit!

Deleted
    I wouldn't get TF, nor use holy fire on halfus as you're going to cap your smites with straight smite spam. Using holy fire is a straight up hps loss in this scenario so there's no point gimping yourself for it.

Personally I use penance on the tank on halfus to try and keep inspiration up anyway, which requires inspiration spec and precludes having TF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    This is the spec I use for Halfus. It's a very utility based spec and you could also swap SoL for Inspiration - I've ran it both ways. There's other things like Imp Renew over Emp Healing, for instance, if you chose to take Inspiration over SoL, then grab Imp Renew over Emp Healing IMO.

There really isn't much you can mess up here in terms of spec. The most important thing for you to do in terms of healing is popping Archangel at the right time, when there's a massive number of people to heal - you could even save PI for this time too. Use Barrier at the start in Heroic or Normal, whenever you have the most incoming damage and then again before a Roar - Glyph PS so you can cast it during a Roar when needed (as apposed to potentially wasting it casting it before).

Mazi's spec and advice is very nice. The only thing I do different is drop SoL and pick up the extra point in Emp Healing and Desperate Prayer. It's not a big save, but I bind it to my HS and use it in emergencies.