Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

WoW left me for a younger player...

We were happy once, WoW and I. There was a time, when we were both young, that we would stay up all night playing, laughing, crying, having fun. It was a simpler era for me - no kids, no career, no other significant other. I had all the time in the world, and WoW and I spent a lot of it together.

Years passed. I got a good job - one that had good insurance and a 401(k), room for advancement, an office with real walls. I met someone, we bonded, and a year after we made our bond official the two of us became the three of us, then eventually the four of us. I had a lot to juggle, responsibilities to meet, mouths to feed.

WoW understood. She responded by becoming less demanding. Her raids got shorter and easier to organize. Her rep grinds became less of a chore. I could do a heroic with my guild in that little slice of time between the kids' bedtime and mine. There was still stuff for people more committed to it all than I to do, but she made this nice little sweet spot for me and for those like me. As I aged, she aged right along with me.

Then Cataclysm came. I knew something was wrong when she took tree form away. It seemed like a bad omen - she saw tree form in terms of numbers and throughput while I saw it with words like "fun" and "smile at the silly dance". It was like the first little indication that we might be growing apart. Like we were starting to see things in different ways.

The signs came fast after that. I tried to keep up, tried to adapt, but it didn't feel right. What she thought was fun no longer matched what I thought was fun. It seemed like she wanted to turn back the clock to when we were both younger, with CC and long rep grinds and parcelling out heals like a mana miser, but I wasn't that man any more. I didn't have the time for two hour heroics and farming mats and all the rest of the old-style routine. I'd grown up a little. I'd moved on.

I see her now, flirting with younger players. Players with the time to spend with her on all the same things that we'd done so many years ago. I try not to get mad with her; she has a right to live her life the way she wants to, but I still get a little sad. I thought we'd reached a happy medium. It seemed to me like we had a lot of good years left in our relationship, but I guess what I wanted wasn't what she wanted, so now it's time to go our separate ways.

I'm a little bitter at the way it all ended, and I feel a little rejected, but I still wish you luck, World of Warcraft. I hope that you find the new, younger players that you are looking for. I've found a young game myself, World of Tanks, who understands me, my life, and the limits I have on how much attention I can give her. The world keeps turning, I suppose, and we all do the best we can to find happiness.

Goodbye, World of Warcraft. It's been fun.

--------------------------------------

Tongue firmly in cheek, although there's a little bit of semi-biographical truth in there. Also, World of Tanks really does rock.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok sir my hat goes off to you this made me chuckle sorry to see you go and from this post you,ll be sorely missed especially with this amount of wit .
    just remember younger players just dont ahve the patience to please wow she,ll come back to you in the future willing for your touch and soothing input.
    Faith Manages

Did you write a nice story for the world of tanks forum also, stating your newfound love for the game?

First post, Welcome and Goodbye I guess?

This post was on the WoW forums too (verbatim), it got deleted for some reason.

us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2029915794

Why would they delete this post over there?
    Last edited by barker; 2011-02-07 at 08:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent reading and I wish you good luck with the new game of yours. The game ages and so do we.

Dude, it's like I could have written that post there, even right down to missing tree form...

I still log on to the mmo-forums and read a few blogs here and there about WoW, but like you, my days of 4am sessions ended a while ago, and even though I tried to stick with the new mechanics Cataclysm brought, I just couldn't get my head around them. Games come and go, and I'm glad I was introduced to the wonder of WoW (I'll still never forget wandering through the Dark Portal for the first time... Epic), but I just couldn't give the time investment WoW needed.

My new 'woman' (so to speak) is Fallout 3 (heh, I'm a little bit behind the times, I'll admit it), where I don't feel nearly half as bad for not playing it for weeks at a time.

Good luck to you and yours

Indy.

Deleted
    You made me a little bit sad, but in the end, with all the great things you now have, you should not envy those who have far less for having one thing that was yours for a little while. So i think you should give it up without making others sad for taking it.
    But i understand your pain. Honestly.

10/10 gl hf irl.

Dunno if it was the OT's idea, but, the sentences remind me of Radio Gaga- Queen

There's no difference between Cataclysm and Wrath except the difficulty.

Unfortunately you've chosen to quit in exasperation instead of get better.

10+ Year Old Account
    You sir, have won the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotharion View Post
    There's no difference between Cataclysm and Wrath except the difficulty.

Unfortunately you've chosen to quit in exasperation instead of get better.
    Sorry but you are wrong. There is a big difference between the two. The design philosophy for one thing. You don't approach dungeons in Cataclysm the same way you did in Wrath. Its not just a matter of difficulty.

To OP, nice read, glhf.
    I'm going to do some real damage!

Cata is boring it really is .... i was shocked but it got boring really fast GRIND GRIND GRIND .... no thank you ..... i'm thinking instead of attracting vanilla players Cata will repel them ... at least that's how I ( and some of my IRL friends who actually played it from beta, i started some months before AQ ) feel.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyKP View Post
    I met someone, we bonded, and a year after we made our bond official
    Its you who left her, unmerciful monster!!! do you have a heart?

Poor poor wow
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyKP View Post
    Then Cataclysm came. I knew something was wrong when she took tree form away. It seemed like a bad omen - she saw tree form in terms of numbers and throughput while I saw it with words like "fun" and "smile at the silly dance". It was like the first little indication that we might be growing apart. Like we were starting to see things in different ways.
    ^^This. So much, it almost hurts to see it in print.

Unsubbed.

Unfortunately, for me WoW was the only video game that ever interested me, and I never played video games before then. Fortunately, you get a LOT of time back on your hands.

Good luck and happiness!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-02-07 at 08:28 PM.

Don't blame the expansion. It's burnout. There's only so long you can play the game before it loses its sense of freshness and turns into a chore.

Take care wherever you are, I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    10/10 it was one of the most fun i had reading a post in some time thanks man ,
    yeah wow have changed and it will keep changing and it will keep trying to attract new players ... and at one time or another most of us will grow apart from wow. and that makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    Its you who left her, unmerciful monster!!! do you have a heart?

Poor poor wow
    you cant blame her for wanting to be young and vigorous and fun again after you found someone else. when me and gf broke up i bought a new truck, a boat, and motorcycle and started going out a lot more. she got all pissed off and was like why couldn't you be like this when were together (you were when we met) and i simply told her "it's cause you suck the life out of me". its sad but its true. she made me a boring dull person trying to be all the things she wanted me to be and doing all the things to make her happy and she never saw all things she was killing going away. its hard to to keep up a family guy with a good job and professional look while also being a bad boy rebel all at once, so thus we are left parting ways to where i have less responsibility and can have more fun. she always asks how i have $ to buy all the stuff i have now when we were so broke the whole time we were together, i guess she forgot about all the dinners at Ruth Crist, the dresses, the jewelry, and the vacations she felt were so important at the time but oh well all you can do is laugh and move on. i think wow is just trying to get back to who its was in its youth that made everyone like it and fall in love with it in the first place.
    Last edited by Mixon; 2011-02-07 at 08:38 PM.

Deleted
    Loved your story man, but all good thing have to come to an end. When i think this for my self i cant imagine it, but time will show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so WoW is a cougar? I've been seduced by a somewhat attractive middle aged woman? I LIKE IT!!!

but for real, nicely written. Good luck IRL

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

I lost all interest in playing my druid when they took my tree form away.

In Wrath I was tanking or healing a ton of heroics and raids on my Druid/Pally/Priest but because of the changes we saw in Cata, none of those characters has seen a heroic or raid in over a month

All I do now is log in to "play" the AH.