Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    there were several games that should have gone the UO way but they all failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren View Post
    do you think ultima online is worth getting? the only thing that looks bad is old outdated runescape combat lol
    It's not worth getting - don't you dare give EA any money !

And besides, as others have said, the game is dead already.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post

Nobody looking for old school UO would be playing on EA servers. There are plenty of free shards keeping the game alive.

joinuo.com

I never played UO but I did Everquest from beta to Planes of Power. I would absolutely love a game full of difficulty and epic adventure. When I would travel across the continent I was afraid of dying. Actually afraid, not just inconvenienced like we are today in MMO's. Running back naked was never fun, and I lost an entire level from a night full of wipes. But I would do it all over again for that feeling of epic that no other game since has managed to capture. MMO's will never go back to that style unfortunately. I wish a developer would update a UO or EQ mmo and just hold strong with a million subscribers and maintain their niche, instead of caving to large developer pressure. I would have two accounts for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post

True, however as someone else said, the spirit of UO is kept alive on free shards. Which are the only thing worth playing these days. There's a lot of dickheads on them but a lot of good people too.

Just my 2 cents, since I was exactly looking for something similar to kill again my social life again and go back playing an amazing mmorpg like the old good time of UO.
    I browsed all games on mmorpg.com, I asked on differents forums, I tried different games (Rift was the most "similar", soon with housing and also a lot of crafting skills). But I can assure you - there is NO VALID alternatives at the moment! I mean, there are tons of mmorpg with amazing graphic and great story/gameplay, but if you are looking for the "social" part of UO, you will find it nowhere. No people spamming WTB xxx near Britain or Luna bank, just a cold, automated Auction House.
    Especially, I used to be a rare collectors, or put together very rare armour pieces or artifacts. In any other game, there are of course "rare" items, but they are available to everyone. there is no UNIQUE or ultra rare items like in UO.
    The only hope, for something new but same style, is archeage-online.com , coming out next year. So stay tuned. In the meantime, guess what? I bought a UO vet account (i repent so much i sold mine years a go) and started playing UO again. Just amazing! and so many new lands, skills, stuff. EA was surely not sleeping all those years. And they are now celebrating 15 Years of UO. If you miss UO, just stop looking elsewhere: come back to play it

Theres a new game called inquisitor made by a czech company that was just released. I found it on Steam greenlight, really gave me the old school rpg feel when I looked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider3 View Post
    Just my 2 cents, since I was exactly looking for something similar to kill again my social life again and go back playing an amazing mmorpg like the old good time of UO.
    I browsed all games on mmorpg.com, I asked on differents forums, I tried different games (Rift was the most "similar", soon with housing and also a lot of crafting skills). But I can assure you - there is NO VALID alternatives at the moment! I mean, there are tons of mmorpg with amazing graphic and great story/gameplay, but if you are looking for the "social" part of UO, you will find it nowhere. No people spamming WTB xxx near Britain or Luna bank, just a cold, automated Auction House.
    Especially, I used to be a rare collectors, or put together very rare armour pieces or artifacts. In any other game, there are of course "rare" items, but they are available to everyone. there is no UNIQUE or ultra rare items like in UO.
    The only hope, for something new but same style, is archeage-online.com , coming out next year. So stay tuned. In the meantime, guess what? I bought a UO vet account (i repent so much i sold mine years a go) and started playing UO again. Just amazing! and so many new lands, skills, stuff. EA was surely not sleeping all those years. And they are now celebrating 15 Years of UO. If you miss UO, just stop looking elsewhere: come back to play it

Rare collecting/trading, real estate market, rare hues/fashion....the interaction is literally limitless

ugh to EA, but to each their own. there is a shard out there for anyone's style

That's why Everquest:Next is peaking my interest. They've announced it's going full-sandbox in an effort to separate itself from the rest and bring back more of an MMORPG feel.

thanks for the info, mvallas, i'll keep an eye opened for it as well.
    For people reading this thread and looking for UO Alternatives, I suggest 2 good readings..

(come on admins, i'm not a spammer, workaround to post links..)

on mmorpg.com check /discussion2.cfm/thread/349518/page/1
    List of all Sandbox MMORPG available, updated Oct 2012

on guildwars2guru.com check /topic/31007-guild-wars-2-the-ultima-online-of-2012/#entry2035595
    Some thoughs and comparison to recent MMORPG and UO

thanks for the info, mvallas, i'll keep an eye opened for it as well.
    For people reading this thread and looking for UO Alternatives, I suggest 2 good readings..

(come on admins, i'm not a spammer, workaround to post links..)

on mmorpg.com check /discussion2.cfm/thread/349518/page/1
    List of all Sandbox MMORPG available, updated Oct 2012

on guildwars2guru.com check /topic/31007-guild-wars-2-the-ultima-online-of-2012/#entry2035595
    Some thoughs and comparison to recent MMORPG and UO
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../349518/page/1
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/.../#entry2035595

The first one is very interesting, thanks for that!
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

THIS will be the games that will make the difference..

greedmonger.com

Free to play, you just need to "buy" land for 20$. Then you are starting. In a new World! Where everything will be be CRAFTED. No drops of items ready to use from Monster. You can enterely modify the world. Run BY players. The concept behind this game is truly amazing. Done from UO Nostalgic people. In a 3D world who looks simply spectacular! Stay tuned for more..

THIS will be the games that will make the difference..

greedmonger.com

Free to play, you just need to "buy" land for 20$. Then you are starting. In a new World! Where everything will be be CRAFTED. No drops of items ready to use from Monster. You can enterely modify the world. Run BY players. The concept behind this game is truly amazing. Done from UO Nostalgic people. In a 3D world who looks simply spectacular! Stay tuned for more..
    Well, every now and then you can see such ideas, like xsyon, mortal online or dawntide and they don't end very well.
    And basically every single upcoming game is advertised as revolutionary and "THIS will be the games that will make the difference".
    It's better to wait and see
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

ahah yes, I do agree, i was pumping it a bit too much. But I think the concept this time is really heading to the right direction.
    But of course, let's see what it will comes out. Just wanted to drop a notice that caught my attention in a very positive way

---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 01:01 PM ----------

oh, since we are talking about hopes for upcoming games like UO (Sandbox), I suggest to keep an eye on them as well..

-ArcheAge Online (confirmed to be an hybrid sandbox/themepark, but still..)
    -Origins of Malu (now on kickstarter)
    -Everquest:Next (still a long waiting)
    -Pathfinder Online (same as above)

If you saw any other upcoming mmorpg sandbox (middle/age-Fantasy, Sci-fi there are quiet a few..) just add them to the list

Repopulation http://www.therepopulation.com/
    First earth (more of a concept so far than implementation) http://firstearthgame.com

You might find some more in my old thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...building-games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander31 View Post
    I registered on the forum just the reply this thread.

I feel somehow happy after reading that there are other people that feels just like me about Ultima Online and WoW. I feel nostalgic everytime I remember the good old times playing UO, one of the best times in my life, and yet still waiting for them to comeback which probably won`t happen.

I often search for news about a new Ultima Online being develop but nothing in the process, we can still go back to UO emulators but is just to outdated for today standars which are the ones that draw players.

I still play WoW you know to get arena done every week, I miss the freedom of UO, being able to attack anyone even my own allies was always more real that WoW.

My conclusion:

All I want is a new UO with a new engine, same world, same rules (no screwy casual stuff, you died = u lose everthing), no artifacs just the classic stuff. PLZ STOP making new expansions for old UO, you are just feeding a lost cause, needs a new begining, FU EA.
    I feel the same way. Many aspects of UO are still innovative and fun. New graphics and the same rules would go a long way to reviving the franchise. I miss UO more than any game I've ever played.

I must disagree with one point in the OP, however... I had books and books and books of runes for locations I had marked. Travel was a breeze. Hell, I didn't even have to walk to my neighbor's house.

procne
    Thanks for the link to your thread. Interesting reading, even if focused on a slightly different theme.
    First earth looks definitely nice! Hope it will see a future..and not remaining a vaporware

Slummish
    ahah I know what you mean with the runes
    Anyway, it's never too late to come back..so many stuff awaits you! ^^ Step into Britannia world again! =D

God how I miss UO.

Original Lake Superior player here.. eventually transfered to Atlantic once things started dying.

I played pre pub16 up to ML actively. Most fun memory I have was myself and the guild I was in at the time just going server to server (after the transfer tokens came out) and dominating champ spawns and making tons of gold.

Then one dbag duped like $10,000USD worth of artifacts and got 3/4ths of the guild banned =/ Luckily I was on hiatus at the time and got to keep my acquired fortune

Naturally after UO I went on to playing EQ (while still playing UO) with my brother. So when I came on here and read about EQ Next I got excited and called my brother and now he's pretty hyped about it. I'm a cuhrrent WoW player but he wont play b/c he thinks the graphics are too cartoony and isn't a big fan of the lore or how much of the classes play.

After playing a mage in UO for so long then playing a mage in WoW... it felt sooo slooooow to me. I guess UO was just much faster paced.

Never really PvP'd in EQ. I remember the tournaments back in the day where people got pretty cool titles and I regret never trying to partake in it.

I really hope EQ Next really comes through in this. The memories I have of the two games are just beyond stellar and would give anything to bring the fun back and create more memories in my spare time.

Deleted
    This is a nice thread.

To be honest, I actually like the "virtual world" feel that an MMO can provide. That's not to say I don't enjoy the game-y aspects, it's just that I'd like both to co-exist and thrive while complementing each other.

My sig is also somewhat relevant with this topic.

Wink Similar to UO?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    So I often reminisce about my old days playing Ultima Online because I believe it had the most fun collection of gameplay elements out of any game before it or since....

Want to buy new, upgraded graphics and engine Ultima Online. An open ended world that has real places, including real player housing, and not just instances everywhere. A world where there are no "quests" to hold your hands and direct you on how to spend your time and you can make that choice yourself. One can only dream.
    I know this is an old thread, but I found it searching for "Ultima Online Clones"... I've been a UO fanboy since its release, and played loyally for 6+years and was curious to see what was out there. Anywho, there has yet to be an MMO or game of similar ilk that has captured my attention or focus for so long. UO eased me into tabletop RPGs, such as Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, White Wolf, some of which I've been running campaigns for 10+ years.

The folks from the paizo.com released their own rendition of the D&D ruleset called Pathfinder that has conquered the tabletop gaming world since its release in 2008. Last year they released a Kickstarter fundraiser to build an open-world sandbox MMO, which rose to well over what they asked for. Since then it would seem that with everything they've spoke on about Pathfinder Online's features will be the closest thing to an updated "Ultima Online" because ofsimilar gameplay features. Open world PvP, 'classless' skill sets, player made: quests, towns, buildings, etc. I definitely donated, and have HIGH hopes for this game. OOOoOoOOoo!!! Spirit Speak anyone? heh..heh...rumor has it that they've got a designer from UO employed.

kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo - Won't let me use BB code cause I'ma NEWB here...gah...
    goblinworks.com/blog/ - Game developers website/blog (updated once a week)
    youtube.com/watch?v=FUPrYVkdbc0 - This is a 13min video presentation of the CEO comparing Theme Parks vs Sandbox