What Do You Get Rewarded for in WoW?

Luckily WoW has never been a game where you were rewarded for spending money... or is it?

Long, long ago, you got rewarded in WoW for being good at the game. This meant intelligent people succeeded and stupid people failed. Blizzard took this away during WotLK.

Then you got rewarded for having coordination. 25 man raids got better loot, coordinated groups died less and got stuff done quicker. With the luck of the draw buff changes, Blizzard has indicated that they intend to give uncoordinated players buffs so that they get the same outcome as coordinated players. This is on top of the change to give 10 man groups the same gear as 25 man groups.

What do you get rewarded for now? It seems the only thing is time spent. Why not just give everyone a bot and one button to press and hand out rewards? Time spent means subscription time paid. This means spending money is the primary way to get ahead in WoW.

/discuss
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying that 10man raids require that much less coordination than 25man guilds is more than a little silly. So is acting like a 10% buff to heroics is game changing as far as endgame content. I think it's an unwarranted change, as I mostly use the LFD for groups and hardly ever have a single wipe anymore... but you're overreacting.

Quote Originally Posted by rethea View Post
    Saying that 10man raids require that much less coordination than 25man guilds is more than a little silly. So is acting like a 10% buff to heroics is game changing as far as endgame content. I think it's an unwarranted change, as I mostly use the LFD for groups and hardly ever have a single wipe anymore... but you're overreacting.
    Start a 25 man guild on a low pop server and let me know how many weeks it takes until you clear the entry raid tier. I can guarantee the number of weeks would be greater than that of a 10 man guild.

Heroics are not endgame content.

I'm glad your personal experience in the LFD tool is somehow more statistically significant than the actual statistics. Let me know when you get some intelligence.

Edit:
    Besides that, we're talking about Blizzard's intention. Blizzard had previously stated at great length that 25>10>5 in terms of coordination requirements and stated that that reason alone was why those instanced dropped more and better gear. Now they have turned abruptly on this point and headed in a new direction.
    Last edited by bullseyed; 2011-02-08 at 05:10 PM.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Start a 25 man guild on a low pop server and let me know how many weeks it takes until you clear the entry raid tier. I can guarantee the number of weeks would be greater than that of a 10 man guild.

Heroics are not endgame content.

I'm glad your personal experience in the LFD tool is somehow more statistically significant than the actual statistics. Let me know when you get some intelligence.
    Uh, I was trying to say that heroics aren't endgame content (which your first post implied) and getting a raid together =/= the difficulty of the encounters.