Quartz - Not actually needed? or am I just crazy?

I use to hardcore raid back in TBC. I play from Australia so quartz was a huge thing at one stage so don't get me wrong. BUT - I clearly remember there being a patch that changed the way spells worked server-side or client side (or even both) and from that hotfix onwards quartz was no longer actually needed?

If you remember this patch back in TBC please try remember...I am like 90% sure this made it so quartz wasn't need anymore and I even remember raiding without it after the patch. I just had a tiny arguement with a friend about it. He didn't play back in TBC but he used it all of WOTLK and reckons everyone uses it still. I couldn't really say anything because have not even raided since finishing sunwell a few months prior to 3.0

Am I just crazy and making up this in my mind or did this patch with a hotfix change to the way spells work actually happen those years ago?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    There was a change in spell queuing back then - but Quartz was still needed/used by many hardcore casters after it. There was another change to spell queuing recently - but it's still a good idea to have a castbar addon that displays cast latency, if you're a caster.