Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Im not sure how the 4.0.6 patch influenced Halfus Wyrmbreaker. I can only tell you that pre-patch it was really dependeble on the drake setup if he was easy or not. For my guild it was the first kill, but I reckon starting on Magmaw is a good idea. Magmaw mainly requires some decent healing and add handling where there is a lot more to Omnitron, Concleve and Halfus (with a hard drake setup).

A good way forward can actually be jumping around bosses. The way we went was actually jumping around Magmaw, Concleve, Omnitron and Halfus. We ended up killing them shorty after eachother.

The way to kill bosses is communication. Interrupts, movement, etc is extremely important in all these fights. Having all people on ventrilo, ts, etc is really a must. That way people can back-up small fails from others.

For gear and stuff, mainly as other people said earlyer. 446 item level is good enough, but gems and enchants are way more important. For Magmaw having 2 melee is nice (for the chaining part), where at the other hand you would be happy to have quite some ranged people do deal with the parasites. For that matter you can actually also have your OT at the time help with the chaining while your MT is being nomnomed on.

But yea, basicly... Just go in there, have a copple of tryes at all 4 bosses and have fun.
    The best of luck and I hope you will kill them soonish!

My guild went in 2nd day of cata in mostly greens/normal blues and was able to down omnitron... so... yeah, gear requirements aren't that high for beginning bosses.

don't be scared. enjoy wipes. don't make same mistake twice.

loot.

I've not been in any raid except for Barron Hold.
    I can tell you what my guild wants me to do to get into a cata raid.
    ~Item Level Average-350
    ~No Items below Item Level-346
    ~Fully glyph'd, enchanted, and gemmed
    ~Must be able to pull 12k DPS on average on the raiders training dummy (dont know about tanks and healers)
    ~Must watch the video guides of the bosses (there on my guilds website, but I would go watch the ones on OMFGCatas channel.

If you want to manage who gets to go in the raids, my guild has requirments for those such as
    ~Must provide for the GB
    ~Main professions at 525
    ~Must have vent and show up to guild meetings.

Thats pretty much whats required for my guild, and we are a 10man raiding guild.

We did conclave as the first boss. I think it's pretty simple.

1 Tank (warrior ftw), 1 DPS (preferably one with a CD for the tank), 1 Healer on the platform with the healing guy
    1 DPS, 1 Healer on the wind guay platform
    1 Tank, 1 Healer, other DDs on the ice guys platform

at 20-25 Energy all dps switch from ice platform to heal guys platorm killing all the add stuff. Then go back to ice platform. Rinse repeat and you're done

Deleted
    Most important thing, aside from all the useful tips people have given so far obviously, is to have fun with it Don't be disheartened if you wipe alot, that happens alot. It takes time to pull together as a team and get the co-ordination and movements down. It's alot different from ICC, alot of moving around and stuff, keeps you on your toes!

Good luck with your raid and enjoy it!!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ilv is 346 as a bare minimum...because that comes from heroics and JPs...BUT...from two to three weeks of rhc you can already buy 1 epic. You can get 2-3 epics crafted and at least one epic, possibly more from reputations...
    Recruiting I require minimum of 346 in every socket since that can be easily achieved with effort.

If the OP however is asking how much his guild members require to start in raiding, I would say any member with a majority of 346 slots is already ready. You don't need to max out your gear from HCs to go raiding. It'll be slightly harder, but definately not impossible. Just stress on your members the importance of doing work outside of raiding hours.

Its pretty sad some people are trying to ask for certant gear levels, my #1 guild on my realm has downed 12/12 in mostly 333 & 346. i started raiding 10m in 330 item level. I think it does not matter gear level unless it is under the heroic requirements. i mean if you are item level 330 and know the fights and know you class sure, i mean also 3 ranged are good, i prefer lock mage and Hunter, Pally Tank, Warrior tank, Disc / Holy Priest, a Resto Shammy, and last but not least a Resto Druid for 10m, a good UH dk and a Rogue are a good combo for 10m. i mean that will be about the highest dps you can have. for 25 its a completely different ball game. i mean people only need a good 342 item level (compared to 10m's 346) and be able to do your job. i mean ive been pugging cataclysm raids until my guilds group 2 is geared enough (currently looking for 2 tanks, The-Krew.wowstead.com if you want to apply) also, raiding is just Mechanics and for some bosses (like halfus) are a dps race. i mean you have to have geared tanks and heals, but the dps need to be pushing a good 13k+ to down drakes and halfus. 25m is about 11k minimum. i mean fights like magmaw, DPS doesnt really matter as long as you dont take to much time where heals end up Ooming in the 10% range. also i would give your BoEs to the people who need them the most. i mean hell how are you suppose to gear without your guild helping you? thats the biggest part? i mean my guilds building my tank spec atm. i mean im 140k HP unbuffed at 345 item level blood DK. i mean im not squishy and i dont really die, and i tank heroics just fine, have since 330. i really expect more guilds to push for heroics for those who arent at the best available gear. i mean rep gear is just as good as raid gear if not better. and its easier to get. i mean ya you have to take some time and actually do quests and heroics and so on and so on but its VERY worth it.
    The Sick - Shandris - Horde - item level 350 UH DK - The Krew Guild

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapscallion84 View Post
    The title says it all really. My guild is pretty casual but we do like to raid, though it seems since Cata no one even wants to try raiding without first having awesome gear.

I plan on leading 9 other brave souls on a wipe fest to beat the fear out of them.

So my questions to the community here are:

1) Which is the absolute easiest 'proper' raid (with trash and all) we should start on?
    2) Guild is full of casuals and altaholics so I can't be a massive gear nazi .... what is the very minimum I should demand from their gear?
    3) Are there any compositions I should aim for which may make things easier?
    4) Any extra tips, advice...?

I know I could probably spend hours researching this but tbh I want help from the experienced community here, and any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.
    1. Imo: Halfus with easy drake combo > magmaw > conclave of wind > halfus with worst drake combo

2. Gear matters very little, individual skill, especially 10mans means a lot. At least avg equipped ilvl ~340 with proper stats, secondary stats and enchants is enough, granted the player is GOOD. Altough, full 346 is a few evening's grind with guild groups.

3. Imo easiest and most versatile setup: 2 tanks, 3 healers and 5 dps with preferably at least 3 rangeds from which 2 have good aoe capabilities. Nice plus if one of the tanks is druid with balance OS. At least one tank has to have a decent dps offspec or replace for the solo tankable bossess.

4. We're no longer in wrath. Mistakes are not allowed, a single movement/dispell/interrupt or whatever mistake can and propably will cost a wipe. Content is doable with minimal gear, gear exists to give larger error margin. In nutshell, no "didn't notice the fire" or "didn't remeber to interrupt"-type of players allowed.

Deleted
    as for a start i'd say you can go either following.
    Magmaw, omnotron or Halfus.

You will have a nice time raiding if your group is equally 346 heroic gear with reputation things.
    Also having flasks/food buff is really good @ start.

Having the correct tactics are good!

Good luck with it!

Deleted
    I ask my raiders to bring dedication, and an average ilvl of 340 with gems and enchants where possible. Also buff food and Flasks. Pots if they really feel like it.
    With this I also make them watch videos of the bosses, I also take the tactics briefly over vent before pulling.

Do not start with Magmaw or Omnotron it will be a discouraging wipefest. Still wiping 20+ times on them and they are full of one-shot mechanics that will destroy your raid especially if you don't have years of raiding experience. Our run is averaging every bit of heroic and rep/crafted gear (ilvl 350) and you can still get destroyed.

Halfus is a little more manageable, if you can survive Halfus + 1 drake, then after the drake is dead, bring out whelps, then when the whelps are dead, bring out the last drake, you should be able to make some kind of progress on Halfus. He has 100% attack speed this week, so he can easily 4-shot your tanks before a heal gets off if you're not careful. The drakes also hit very hard (50k+ melee). I hope you have excellent hit-capped interrupters who can react faster than 0.5s.

The fights are largely designed to reward super fast reflexes and heavy prior raid experience and to brutally punish any kind of missed interrupts or less than warp speed healing. If you interrupt everything and never stand in anything bad for more than a second and your raid never drops below 80% health, you might find raiding to be fun.

Good luck, but honestly, if your guild doesn't want to raid, why force them to?

Quote Originally Posted by Raykus View Post
    1. Imo: Halfus with easy drake combo > magmaw > conclave of wind > halfus with worst drake combo
    Agreed. Halfus with an easy drake combo, or even a tough one, is pretty much reliant on the first minute of the pull. For 10 man you will actually need more dps out of each raider than 25 man, especially aoe dps. This includes having melee help ranged aoe down adds when necessary. One major mistake, and at times even minor ones, can easily be a wipe in 10 man and your raid has to realize this mindset. Not just because they need to learn not to make mistakes but also because they need to realize people will make mistakes and wipes will occur because of it.

Before the fight everyone must watch the videos. After the fight, kill or not, watch the videos again. You'll be surprised how much more you see after having experienced the fight yourself. Positioning, specific aoe casts and boss abilities will be painfully obvious on the video after you do the fight.

Also, the fight videos are not how to kill a boss videos. They are guides. I have often found there is some misinformation or misunderstanding of a boss mechanic/tactic. Don't take them as gospel.

Be prepared to change approach. If something is not working, don't keep banging your head against it, do it differently. Be intelligent about it and read the debuffs. Your raid will also need to be honest about wipe reasons and know that this helps other know whether it was something they did or whether they were doing fine.
    There's nothing worse than a wipe fest that can be avoided by people owning up to mistakes and moving forward.

Good luck
    Last edited by Squidfayce; 2011-02-24 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Autocorrect on the iPhone did not deliver amusing results, only Plain wrong ones :(