Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Your new impression of ret pally

Evening,

Any ideas or impressions You gentlemen would like to share or express with the new patch?

Do You find ret paladin as a good PvE / PvP role now?

What about ret's previous build with selfless healer (abundant healing for Your team-mates) - the only viable build and gameplay for top-ratings - or do You find it less productive now?

Any ideas or suggestions (apart from reforging to mastery after exp/hit cap)?

Mayhap some new experiences?

Speak Your mind and share the adequate ones with Your fellow-retradins! (Leave inadequate ones to Yourself though)

DPS is way up, I can compete with almost anyone now. I think Selfless Healer is in no way viable now, with HoPo generation so low, it's a huge hit when we have to use WoG.

The new rotation felt clunky at first, but as the night progressed it felt smoother than the 4.0.3 rotation. There are some gaps, but it gives time to take a look around instead of feverishly waiting for the next HoPo or HL proc.
    Vindicatum - US-Icecrown
    14/14H - 3 days per week - Recruiting for Warlords of Draenor

Main: Sepa - Holy / Ret
    Creator (and destroyer) of State of DPS. Futhead Dan now.

I havent had tons of time to test it out yet, but I feel it's a little bit better.. I am specced into selfless healer as well and it seems to be healing for less but i see nothing in patch notes. I actually find the holy power generation a little better for pvp. Only because you can trigger it from afar like say when you judge someone far away, rather than only on a melee swing. I am trying to figure out the best combo's for ret for arenas right now as well. I've had most of my success with fury warrs and rogues for 2's. But i've seen other successful's run with resto shams/hunters. If anyone wants to talk about their arena team comps for ret thad be cool too. And also how to beat holy pal teams in 2's.

Rotation is fantastic, IMO. And the damage output and survivability are also tremendous.

I just don't understand how doing something that has me staring at the bar HOPING something comes off cooldown is a rotation?
    its
    1 2 3..........1... 4 ... 5.................. 8 .1 .................1.. 2.. 3

its worse than before the patch. Might do more damage but this is not how we should be playing.
    Then to make excuses saying well if we fixed it we would have to do something and then it would cause a rework of some skills
    YEA that is what we pay for

FUN OF COURSE ITS FUN Crapcrawler said it is. NOT
    Last edited by sparks; 2011-02-09 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slinx View Post
    I havent had tons of time to test it out yet, but I feel it's a little bit better.. I am specced into selfless healer as well and it seems to be healing for less but i see nothing in patch notes. I actually find the holy power generation a little better for pvp. Only because you can trigger it from afar like say when you judge someone far away, rather than only on a melee swing. I am trying to figure out the best combo's for ret for arenas right now as well. I've had most of my success with fury warrs and rogues for 2's. But i've seen other successful's run with resto shams/hunters. If anyone wants to talk about their arena team comps for ret thad be cool too. And also how to beat holy pal teams in 2's.
    Huh?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't we always have a chance to trigger 3 free points with those abilities?

I loved going out and smacking the training dummy around and bursting at upwards of 17k dps, but after a few minutes, this is by far the most boring spec i've ever played and my dps on the training dummy was barely reaching 12k.

The holy power generation is god awful slow, and RNG is still a huge factor in our dps. God forbid you ever miss a cs...

I guess its okay being able to viably raid, but paladin needs a few tweaks for sure.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, so i will ask a few questions.

When do you guys put up inquisition and how do you prioritize it? I'm never sure if i should start with 3 or 1 and work my way up to 3.

Here is a link to my armory if anybody has any helpful criticism i'll be glad to hear it. (Not sure if asking for tips like this is allowed so if its not feel free to remove it)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...arded/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    I just don't understand how doing something that has me staring at the bar HOPING something comes off cooldown is a rotation?
    its
    1 2 3..........1... 4 ... 5.................. 8 .1 .................1.. 2.. 3

its worse than before the patch. Might do more damage but this is not how we should be playing.
    Then to make excuses saying well if we fixed it we would have to do something and then it would cause a rework of some skills
    YEA that is what we pay for

FUN OF COURSE ITS FUN Crapcrawler said it is. NOT
    Every class has procs. It's part of the game. This isn't a typewriter test to see how fast you can to the same thing over and over.

I don't understand how you think it's worse than the patch though; we have less RNG overall and a far smoother rotation.
    Vindicatum - US-Icecrown

Quote Originally Posted by Sepirion View Post
    Every class has procs.
    Try playing a Frost DK, the most proc-dependant spec in the game.

sure dmg wise its better - moments ago i had a 39k hol proc on top of a 75k tv on chogall hc (without corruption buff) but rotationwise ... its even more dull and boring. and the dmg is passiv - so why wasnt it possible to just stick with seal dmg and keep ds singletarget etc was worlds more fun than this. so iam with sparks here
    Last edited by Agathon; 2011-02-09 at 07:41 PM.

I agree I have no idea what blizzard was thinking. Even if wotlk Ret rotation's wasnt really a rotation. It was miles better than this. This is just using crusader strike and hoping for a HoL proc or AoW. In wotlk atleast I was always pressing keys and having a blast with my abilities. This is just mind numbing boring and I really hope they include Divine storm back into our main rotation and increase seal damage.

Crusader strike and divine storm both generate holy power. Crusader strike 3.5 second cooldown, DS 6 seconds. I think this would fix ret's period.

Deleted
    Well i think that paladin now can "fight" with the others dps's, i was testing around some heroics, dummy etc...and the dps...yes, it's quite high but still not alot...

Dunno why, on dummy i did 25k starting, then when cd's end i stay on 16/17/18k all time, before with same gear it was 10/11 so there is the difference, i also saw that i see MUCH more "procs" when i started to hit the dummy i felt like "OMFG STOP PROCS!"

but there is my problem! DONT KNOW WHY after dummy i queued dungeon hero (vortex) in pulls (single target) 20/22k and in boss 11k ?!?!?! wtf? less than before...sometimes i really don't understand the paladin mech, i mean using the correct rotation etc...doing the SAME u can do 10k or 22k...wierd...

Quote Originally Posted by roguetank View Post
    Huh?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't we always have a chance to trigger 3 free points with those abilities?

close.. they had a 40% chance to grant 1 holy power

now they have a 15% chance grant a free 3 holy power ability

before it was our mastery that gave us an 8% (+ mastery) chance to grant a free 3 holy power ability from auto attacks

even though they changed it i feel like we get pretty close to the same amount of 3 hp freebies, its just nice that you can get them when you judge from far away, so you could have zealotry or inquisition up before you engage them, or have a 3hp TV ready before you even get within melee range.
    Last edited by slinx; 2011-02-09 at 07:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roguetank View Post
    Huh?

I loved going out and smacking the training dummy around and bursting at upwards of 17k dps, but after a few minutes, this is by far the most boring spec i've ever played and my dps on the training dummy was barely reaching 12k.

The holy power generation is god awful slow, and RNG is still a huge factor in our dps. God forbid you ever miss a cs...

I guess its okay being able to viably raid, but paladin needs a few tweaks for sure.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, so i will ask a few questions.

When do you guys put up inquisition and how do you prioritize it? I'm never sure if i should start with 3 or 1 and work my way up to 3.

Here is a link to my armory if anybody has any helpful criticism i'll be glad to hear it. (Not sure if asking for tips like this is allowed so if its not feel free to remove it)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...arded/advanced
    Afraid of missing a cs? l2hit/exp. Holy power gen may be slower now, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Now you know exactly when you will hit 3 HoPo so you can judge when if you can use your DP procs for inquisition or WoG instead. It is a lot less hectic, while at the same time becoming a lot more powerful. Not perfect yet ( wtb snare) but definitely what ret needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well for starters, VP is situational, you cant accurately guage ret dps there. First boss does a slow debuff which eats your dps, 2nd boss is situational due to the haste buff, and 3rd boss you have to run away from time to time.

Well when i pulled 16.8k dps on a target dummy over 1.6mil damage when i first logged in. (because i reforged and chanted the day before the patch)

I said, YUP! I'M HAPPY! proceeded to pull 26k on magmaw when he died, 1st dps on magmaw, 1st on atremedes, 2nd on maelorik, died on the final phase early on for chimeron so . Long story short, pve we're sick. (if you have gear)

PvP i play ret/DK and it's pretty much roflflelrlflflrlfl we only dida few games a week for games we'd just go up 100-150 points then relax the rest of the week.

well since we pretty much went up 150 points and are playing at 2100 MMR and only losses being to DC's lol, I'm happpyy!!!!!! Did some rated BGS vs a 2000 and 2300 average team, wafflestomped em.

This patch, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

and the no holy power from dodge huuurts bad in pvp but ya know what, i'm still happy we are very viable now.
    Last edited by Ritalynn; 2011-02-09 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepirion View Post
    Every class has procs. It's part of the game.
    Gimme some rogue procs please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im very pleased pve wise ( am i hell going to pvp, never again will i ret pvp)

The only thing i dislike, is when i was doing my dps tests, hand of light was my third top dps ability, with crusader strike first and Templar's verdict second, melee forth, im not sure if thats just me but i dont like the idea of mastery being third top dps ability

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    I agree I have no idea what blizzard was thinking. Even if wotlk Ret rotation's wasnt really a rotation. It was miles better than this. This is just using crusader strike and hoping for a HoL proc or AoW. In wotlk atleast I was always pressing keys and having a blast with my abilities. This is just mind numbing boring and I really hope they include Divine storm back into our main rotation and increase seal damage.

Crusader strike and divine storm both generate holy power. Crusader strike 3.5 second cooldown, DS 6 seconds. I think this would fix ret's period.
    I don't know if adding a purely aoe spell back into a single target rotation is what blizz wants (see Whirlwind), that plus all of the procs make for a pretty full rotation with limited dead time. I really liked the idea that I read somewhere before, that at 5 stacks of censure, judgement generates holy power. I know that would basically kill every other seal for ret pallys, but we dont use them anyway. My 2 copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    Im very pleased pve wise ( am i hell going to pvp, never again will i ret pvp)

The only thing i dislike, is when i was doing my dps tests, hand of light was my third top dps ability, with crusader strike first and Templar's verdict second, melee forth, im not sure if thats just me but i dont like the idea of mastery being third top dps ability
    reminds me of wrath when 70% of rogue damage was auto attacks
    50% white damage and 20% poison damage

As stated in another thread, if TV is not your top DPS for single target, your rotation is wrong. Have to prioritize 3HP TVs over everything except refreshing Inq.

I'm fine with our mastery being that high. It's something tangible we can look at and say yeah, my stats are producing that damage. With the old mastery, you'd have to scourge through logs and compare parses to see the results, or it just 'felt' better. I'll take tangible results over that any day.
    Vindicatum - US-Icecrown