Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wercz View Post
    tanks
    shammy, discpriest, druid heal
    Return of the Shaman tank! Hazzah, finally.

OT: 3 tanking seems to be the way to go. Makes the encounter remarkably easier.

We just downed him tonight on 10man, Heroic OFC.

Setup was:

Tanks:
    Prot Pally
    Feral Druid

Heals:
    2x Resto Shaman's
    Resto Druid

Melee:
    Assassination Rogue
    Ret Pally

Ranged:
    Fire Mage
    Destro Warlock
    MM Hunter

It took nearly 3hrs to down him and after various changes, we found the best way was to pull Whelps, Time and Storm at the beginning. (Pally tanked Whelps and Time, Druid tanked Halfus and Storm. Switching at ~7-8 stacks)

Burn Whelps, then Time, then Storm. When Storm was almost down, we released Slate. Killed slate and this is where we kinda messed up that made our kill slightly harder, we released Nether and killed him. (We should of just ignored Nether) Halfus enraged with ~1mil left and our Ret Pally was the only one left alive. He got lucky as Halfus was randomly stunned, and the pally managed to finished him off.

We also kept our Ret pally on Halfus the entire time to interrupt Shadow Nova.

From everything I read, pre-4.0.6 3 tanks was required. 4.0.6 is still extremely challenging, but exhilarating.
    Last edited by WesM63; 2011-02-11 at 06:19 AM.

We killed Halfus pre-nerf and once yesterday, and I must say, phase one has been horrendously nerfed, but I can see that it might be a challange for a not too-coordinated group. Anyhow, our procedure is mostly based on this;

Release order: Nether and Storm at pull, Whelps when these are placed and now after the patch, Time shortly after that. BL/TW when the first 2 dragons are placed.

Kill order: Storm -> Nether -> Time. Initial AOE-spam at whelps, but they aren't a main focus as they get cleaved down during the time the others die, their damage is somewhat neglible.

Prot paladin and prot warrior;
    The paladin (me) starts with Halfus and Nether. When the stacks reaches around 9-11, I clear them with my bubble/cancelaura macro. When I reach around 7-9, the warrior taunts, the Storm Drake is usually dead by then.
    The warrior picks up Storm along with whelps and Time when time comes. If Storm is still alive during taunt, I take over Storm the last few seconds. Pre-nerf I placed my Hand of Protection on the warrior (he has cancelaura macroed into some core abilities), which I ofcourse announced so he was prepared to remove it. I didn't need to after the nerf, but if you lack DPS it might come in handy, read the situation to find your best solution.

During the killing-phase, chain your tank cooldowns as best you can, along with the healers cooldowns (barrier, guardian, pain supression, power-cooldowns for the healers etc.) (good coordination is really the key to basicly all wow-fights, face it, accept it and execute it). If you manage to handle this properly, this fight won't be much of a challange, atleast not if you had some attempts at him pre-neft.

Good luck!

Deleted
    Also, you don't need to make a cancelmacro for Hand of Protection. If you cast HoP and then Hand of Freedom after it, it will overwrite it and no problem for your tank.

Nether, Storm, and Time all freed from the start (MT takes Halfus and Storm, OT takes the other two) swap tanks when stacks get to around 6, the MT will pick up w/e is currently being killed, OT will take Halfus. Free Whelps once Nether dies. Kill order is Nether, Storm, Whelps and AoE them down, kill w/e is left of Time at that point. Dont bother with Slate as it is standard to just leave em. Have your shaman as main interrupts on the boss, using a macro to cast wind shear on his focus target (dunno the macro off the top of my head) and set Halfus as the focus, that way he can DPS w/e drake and interrupt at the same time. As for tanking whelps just have tanks do a standard AoE tanking, at this point each tank will only have a 2 drakes or Halfus on him so dmg wont be too horrible. After dragons are dead Halfus should be around 75-85% from cleaves/AoE and you just burn burn burn.

Have a video, isnt the most clean kill but overall has all of the above in it...plus me DC'ing as we kill the last drake only to find myself ported to Org and missing the achieve.....so tech a 9 man kill:
    Last edited by Gharld; 2011-02-11 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konstance View Post
    Also, you don't need to make a cancelmacro for Hand of Protection. If you cast HoP and then Hand of Freedom after it, it will overwrite it and no problem for your tank.
    Global cooldown is enough for whatever he is tanking to give your dps some beating.

We killed him tonight on 10m HC, it was our first night of attempts on him and it took us about 25 pulls.

Comp:

Tanks: Warrior and two Paladins.

Healers: 2x Resto Shaman, 1x Holy priest.

DPS: Rogue, DK, Hunter, Warlock.

We did it our own way kind of. We pulled all the dragons but slate (left slate down the whole fight) right off the bat and had one tank pick them all up. The other two tanks ping ponged Halfus around to minimize MS, taunting at 4-5 stacks from max range.

Then we killed stuff.

We had 3 tanks. I think it doesn't which tanks you have, but warries are nice, since they do an insane amount of damage with the new inner rage and cleave (I had about 30k dps in the beginning of the fight with the welps).
    Pull storm, nether and the welps. 1 Tank Halfus, 1 Tank Nether, 1 Tank storm and welps. Then rotate the tanks on 4-5 stacks. If you manage to survive till you can Pull timewarden you won. Pull it when you killed the first drake after the welps. Each tank the only has 1 stuff to tank so it's easy to rotate the boss. Then kill all drakes and it's win

oh btw: hypernetics tactic also sounds nice Maybe we can give it a try next time

Deleted
    + we didnt have a capeable kicker for the novas <50% >.< ...or at least didnt know how to do the kicks...(btw any suggestions on that?)

Get your Mage to blink on the last of the 3 stuns each time he roars and then CS the nova

Deleted
    Dodge fire, and get propper healers. Win. It is alot easier now than it was before.
    EDIT: Also having more than 2 tanks makes the fight a lot, and your dps should be able to cope with the extra dps they have to put out. The fight is easily done with more than 1 min to spent on the enrage timer, so get some more tanks, and dps that can dodge fire would be my advice to you.
    EDIT 2: I was asuming it was 25 man. Same deal goes for 10 man, apart from the fact that you probably only want 3 tanks cause taking 4 will be quite a heavy decrease in dps. And here I made an assumption that it was 10 manm after reading #0 again since it said something about a neffy 10 man kill. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by mmoca9f8cb92b6; 2011-02-11 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kynd View Post
    make that shadow priest go atonement, kill the first drake, have the atonement preist switch to halfus from then on. The atonement priest brings...

1. Very effective DPS because of the dmg buff the boss gets.
    2. Roughly 30k Heals consistently on the tanks and melee.
    3. Extra barrier
    4. Extra Pain Suppression

Couple tips to give your shadow priest for going atonement.

1. Dont forget to shield occationally for rapture to restore mana.
    2. Power Infusion ALWAYS goes on dps, a mage in your raid is perfect.
    3. Dont forget to glyph smite for extra dmg when holy fire is on the boss.
    4. PoM is very effective during the breaths and during sub 50% knockbacks.

Trust me, atonement will ease the healing on your tanks ALOT. Plus its no slouch DPS.
    This isn't true anymore. Stop living in the past.

Deleted
    Drop a dps, Take a 3rd tank.

Release nether scion + storm rider and time warden.

tank 1 - halfus
    tank 2 - nether scion
    tank 3 - time warden and storm rider

Kill nether scion first, Have tank 1 and tank 2 tank swap halfus at 6 stacks of MS, If rng stacks it high, holy pala, can bop the mortal strike off. Happens again... cooldowns... again tank dies and res fast.

Once scion dead, kill storm rider. Means halfus tanks wont be tanking something with Mortal strike up now. Alot easier to heal.

Once storm rider dead, release whelps and AoE them down. Time warden from cleaves shouldnt have much hp left once whelps die. Finish him off. You should have 2 minutes or so to burn the boss and loot.

We killed it on Wednesday :-

Prot Paladin
    Blood DK
    Feral Druid

Holy priest
    Holy Paladin
    Resto Druid

Destro Warlock
    MM Hunter
    MM Hunter
    Fire Mage

____

Much easier now tbh

Deleted
    Hi. A tip would be to let your healers and tanks rotate their cooldowns in the start since that part is the hard part in the fight. Second of all, since the 4.0.6 patch combat rogues have become insane on Halfus. Our rogue did 88k dps on 10 man on Halfus heroic. The trick is: Let him stay on the boss the whole fight after the first add (whelps in our case) is dead. Then his blade flurry will hit the same amount on the next drake as it does on Halfus. Try to stay fairly stacked to ease up AoE healing but not too much so that you share meteors. Disc priest is nice with barrier for this.

This is how we did it after the patch. Hope this can be of help to you and good luck!

/Ditair

Deleted
    we didnt have a capeable kicker for the novas <50% >.< ...or at least didnt know how to do the kicks...(btw any suggestions on that?)
    mages are win just let them blink at the last of the 3 knock backs and pronto :<

they can do there interupt ability not sure what its called to

Deleted
    Killed the new Halfus heroic on our 2nd try last night. (We'd had a night of wiping on him pre-patch)

Feral tank + Prot Pala
    Resto Shaman, Holy Priest, Holy Pala
    Rogue + Unholy DK
    Fire Mage, Ele Sham, Hunter

Feral tanked Storm Rider + Halfus
    Pala tanked Whelps + Scion

AoE dps killed whelps, ppl with shit aoe started on storm.
    When whelps and Storm Rider were dead we opened Time Warden.
    DPS went on Nether Scion.

Feral called out for HoP at 8stacks, and had a /cancelaura HoP macro.
    When he got back up to 5 stacks he called for the Pala to taunt Halfus, and the Feral taunted whatever drakes were on the pala.
    Pala got to 9stacks and bubbled + cancelled. When he got back to 5 stacks they swapped targets again.
    Basically we had Boss on a fresh tank, and 2 drakes on the debuffed tank.

When Scion died we opened Slate Dragon.
    DPS on Time Warden.
    Time died, we DPS's Slate.

Phase 2 came with all debuffs on the boss.
    He only had time to do one round of stun shouts which Barkskin was more than enough to save the tank.

Then he died, and we were like ohlol, easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Improvedlol View Post
    This isn't true anymore. Stop living in the past.
    This person doesnt know what hes talking about.

Logs to prove it.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1974&e=2278

Ouch, 30k dps AND 10k+ HPS. Thanks for you input.

Edit: I'm sure what hes trying to tell me here is that there was a cap put on the amount that an Atonement heal could hit for, which is 1/3 of the priests total unbuffed health. Either way this is 100% still viable and still used. One more thing about Atonement, it used to be perfect from the start of the fight because you only needed the drakes to be released to receive the dmg buff on halfus. Now the first drake must die for the buff to get applied, so the Atonement should stay on the first drake before switching. The heals wont be as huge but with a lust your first drake shouldnt stay up very long.

Please, please dont listen to anyone who tells you atonement isnt effective and extremely helpful. How can you argue against a Healer who will top your meters and do better dps than tanks?
    Last edited by kynd; 2011-02-11 at 05:09 PM.