Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Using AMD mobo and NVidia Card

I have been pricing out new components for my computer and have one question. Is it better for me to use a Radeon GPU and AMD mobo or is it ok to use a Nvidia card and AMD mobo. Thanks for your help.

The only thing that would matter is whether or not you'll be doing CrossFire or SLi, and the motherboard will say which is supports. If you are going to be doing CrossFire or SLi, get whatever the motherboard supports (CrossFire = AMD/ATi, SLi = Nvidia).

If not, go buck wild.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok thanks, I don't plan on going crossfire or sli anytime soon or ever for that matter.

There are some cases where the drivers for the two conflicting brands will act up, but for the most part it should work out fine.

(The few odd cases are not performance breaking, just minor annoyances; from what I have heard.)

The main focus, as the above poster states, will be whether your motherboard supports Crossfire (AMD) or SLI (NVIDIA).

I've always used AMD with Nvidia GPUs and never really had any problems other than it can be a little difficult to find a decent AMD mobo that can be used for SLI.

There has never been any systematic and proven case of incompatibility, it's purely misinformation spread by tinfoil hat wearing people. There's a reason why all possible components in PCs are standardized.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

No issue at all, have used several setups trough the last years, intel+nvidia, amd +nvidia, amd+ati, amd+nvidia chipset+nvidia card, etc. Never had a issue because of that.

Yeah you shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't try to run Nvidia cards on an AMD motherboard chipset(i.e the 890fx is the latest, doesn't support SLI)

However, the intel chipsets (i.e x58) can run crossfire AND SLI on the same board.
    In order to get SLI on an AMD mobo you need a mobo with AM2,AM2+,AM3 socket support with an nvidia chipset(890a is the latest)