Thread: Useless Facts

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The line between insanity and brilliance.
    You cannot walk a giraffe on a leash in Florida.

You cannot name a pig Napoleon in France

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grothezk View Post
    so you are saying there's only 4 continents?. in asy case you are wrong. There's actually 6 continents: America (north, central and south america), Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania (Australia is a country, not a continent) and finally the Antartida (I know it has no countries there, but many cientists agreed to consider it a continent).
    Well depending on where you live you might think that. Take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contine..._of_continents

Interesting stuff there, it was fun to read.

I only read one, cba'd to read more, and it was

Virgina Woolf wrote all her books standing.

Say whaat?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashnox View Post
    I only read one, cba'd to read more, and it was

Virgina Woolf wrote all her books standing.

Say whaat?
    That's just weird!

Deleted
    Good lot of those disprovable on Snopes.

7 Continents and 5 oceans according to my schooling. Europe, North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Antartica and Oceania (Australasia as it was called 15 years ago).

The speaker of the house of commons in the English parliament can and does speak. He does not, however, join in politcal debate.

Some crazy laws from my home state of Oregon

Dishes must drip dry.
    It is illegal to whisper “dirty” things in your lover’s ear during sex.
    Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.
    It is illegal to buy or sell marijuana, but it is legal to smoke it on your own property.
    Canned corn is not to be used as bait for fishing.
    It’s illegal to walk down a sidewalk and knock a snakes head off with your cane.
    You cannot eat a doughnut and walk backwards on a city street.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    Your fingernail has the same ingredients as fly poop

nothing has made me stop chewing my fingernails yet but this.....this will do....

Quote Originally Posted by xxx230 View Post
    Originally Posted by grothezk View Post
    so you are saying there's only 4 continents?. in asy case you are wrong. There's actually 6 continents: America (north, central and south america), Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania (Australia is a country, not a continent) and finally the Antartida (I know it has no countries there, but many cientists agreed to consider it a continent).

Well depending on where you live you might think that. Take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contine..._of_continents

Interesting stuff there, it was fun to read.

For a moment I though I live on a different planet. Oceania is a continent? What's next? Canada?

From wiki:
    "A continent is one of several large landmasses on Earth"

Also some may say there is no Europe and Asia, there is Eurasia.

Australia is a continent (landmass), and, at the same time name of the country.
    Oceania is considered part of the Australia (again Landmass, not country), cause from geology point of view they lay on same Indo-Australian Plate (tectonic plate), at least most part of it.

Deleted
    I just read the whole thing, and my favorite fact was this one:

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    By Law in Denmark, a Danish person is allowed to hit a Swede with a stick if he crosses from Sweden to Denmark by foot over the water seperating the countries. The water will have to be frozen obviusly.
    I feel like I just wasted so much time.

Australia IS a continent. Oceania is not a continent. It belongs to asia and australia (split somewhere in between).

Deleted
    By Law in Denmark, a Danish person is allowed to hit a Swede with a stick if he crosses from Sweden to Denmark by foot over the water seperating the countries. The water will have to be frozen obviusly.
    If this is true, I know what to do next winter if the water freezes!

15+ Year Old Account
    Continents:
    America
    Asia
    Africa
    Europe
    Antarctica
    Australia. (Both a continent and a country)

Also, your spelling is horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeefilter View Post
    Australia IS a continent. Oceania is not a continent. It belongs to asia and australia (split somewhere in between).
    Oceania includes Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, and many others. Some even consider Hawaii as part of Oceania.
    Last edited by Toskorae; 2011-02-14 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toskorae View Post
    Continents:
    Americ

Also, your spelling is horrific.
    Pot, Kettle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenliftin View Post
    Pot, Kettle.
    Hardly, I forgot one letter.

Hepatitis can live in dried blood from 7 to 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

Deleted
    Most people will always sit/sleep with their face directed (or almost) at the room entrance.

That is so correct. I'm waiting for water to freeze!

10+ Year Old Account
    Union General John Sedgewick's last words were, "Cowards, all of you! Flinching at single bullets? What will you do when the enemy is upon us? Besides, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--"

In 1848, there was a railroad construction worker by the name of Phineas Gage. He was working to demolish part of a mountain so that they could run a rail through it. Now normally, what you'd do, is drill a hole, pack some blasting powder inside, put in sand to dampen the impact, then use an iron rod to pack it down. One day, Phineas was distracted and he forgot to put in the sand to dampen the impact from the rod. The impact created a spark, igniting the powder, launching the iron rod 80 feet. Also, through Phineas Gage's head.

3 minutes later, Phineas regained consciousness, began talking to people, walked to a cart, sat up for the 3/4 mile trip back to his house, waited there for a doctor, and then spoke with the doctor about the large hole through his head. The doctor wrote, "I did not believe Mr. Gage's statement at the time, but thought he was deceived. Mr. Gage persisted in saying that the rod went through his head. Mr. Gage got up and vomited. The effort of the vomiting pushed out about half a teacup-full of brain, which fell on the floor."

Phineas was reported as saying "I hope I am not much hurt." While falling in and out of comas for about a month, his family was assured that there was no possible way he would live. Two months later, he was perfectly fine, apart from some behavioral issues. Years later, his behavioral problems subsided, he became member of a traveling circus and then a long-distance stage coach driver in Chile (Where people did not know he was Phineas Gage), until late on-set Epilepsy set in and he died.

Still, 12 years of life after having a yard-long rod of iron pass through your skull is pretty damn lucky. And lastly, a photo of Gage and an image of where the rod passed through.

Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    Ohio is listed as the 17th state in the U.S., but technically it is number 47. Until August 7, 1953, congress forgot to vote on a resolution to admit Ohio to the Union.
    I laughed really hard at this one. They just forgot about Ohio for 100 years or so (in case you were curious I'm a proud Michigander)

10+ Year Old Account
    Eisenhower's mother made him wear dresses until he was 7.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Mozart could say sentences backwards as fast as forwards at the age of 7.