Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tons of surge of light procs?

I just want to say that I never ran surge of light before this patch. I put points in there because I had the points after getting out of rapid renewal and SoM when I respecced a couple days ago. The one thing I find odd is that I am getting tons of procs. From people saying the talent was not good because you only get like 3-4 procs per boss fight in a raid I expected a lot less procs. For example I just got 6 procs on the first boss in deadmines a few minutes ago. Now I don't always get 6 procs in a 2 minute fight but at least 4 seems to be the norm. I don't know if its bugged or they changed the proc rate without reflecting it in the patch notes but I can guarantee you guys that I get significantly more than 6 procs every 100 casts.

A theory that I have is that it might be proccing off renew ticks or something but I haven't been able to make it do that in testing. Maybe it counts a heal that refreshes a renew twice or something? I don't know but I think I am getting at least double the proc rate that I should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's proccing incredibly often since this patch. I ran it before the patch, saw 1 - 2 a fight, just did some BoT last night, and several times during the night, SoL would proc, use it, proc off itself, use it, proc off itself again. My friend was healing a different BoT and got several 3 chain self-procs too.
    The goddess in my avatar is Hayley Williams.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, it appears to be buffed a lot. Definately worth picking up now.

Did you even notice that it procs from not only Smite and Heal now but from Flash Heal and Greater Heal? Therefore, way more procs? It USED to proc like crap. Like maybe once or twice a Heroic.

It was buffed in the last patch.

"I want a Tier that actually looks stereotypical.
    Hunter in camo; Rogue in ninja gear; Priest in a prison uniform - that sort of thing."

Gahh!!! Wish my computer wasn't blown up so I can play WoW.... I bet the day I get back, Blizz is gonna nerf it QQ
    " "People can say all the BS they want about "encounters weren't that hard back then people just didnt know what was going on" well that argument is like saying "getting to california in the early 1800 wasnt hard, people just didnt know how the !$@% to build cars" " - hazer221

Quote Originally Posted by Desamorix View Post
    Gahh!!! Wish my computer wasn't blown up so I can play WoW.... I bet the day I get back, Blizz is gonna nerf it QQ
    It's not THAT good. It's just not broken feeling anymore.

"I want a Tier that actually looks stereotypical.
    Hunter in camo; Rogue in ninja gear; Priest in a prison uniform - that sort of thing."

Even then I cast maybe 30-35 direct heals in that fight and got 6 procs. Some times SOL procs itself when I use it even. I'm not going to pull out my statistics book but if we expect 6 procs out of 100 the chances of getting 6 out of 30-35 is going to be pretty low.

15+ Year Old Account
    I got 42 Surge of Light Procs in Wednesday's raid over 7 boss kills. 42*5765 = 242130/7 = 34590 mana pr kill. Thats 2x fiend ~.
    I'd say that's pretty good.

Yeah I disagree. I think it's still low seeing as we are raid healers and how often do you cast Greater Heal? My fights this week that I casted Gheal / Heal the most was Conclave & Omno

Omno 25: 9 Gheal - 16 Heal - 3 procs with 38% overheal on Flash Heal
    Conclave 10: 14 Gheal - 14 Heal - 4 procs with only 3 used and 38% overheal

I'm really not seeing the benefit of it on a pure raid healing standpoint. Please convince me otherwise :P
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Getting a SoL proc from a SoLed FH is fun stuff ^^

Deleted
    Got 5 procs last night. Total. In ~2 hours of raiding. Yeah I'm really glad I took that talent. Think I'll swap it for DP or something.

Surge of Light can be a good use of talents or a waste, it depends on your healing style.

In 25 mans I find it mostly wasted - there are just better spells for me to cast as a raid healer than Heal, Flash Heal, or Greater Heal. If I were tank healing as Holy, it'd be much more useful to me.

I think Surge of Light would be a strong talent for a Discipline tank healer, though. Personally I put the points in Inspiration and Darkness instead (and I think those are a significantly STRONGER choice for that role) but with the sheer amount of single target heals I cast when doing that, there are times I wish I could fit it into the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Devotions View Post
    Surge of Light can be a good use of talents or a waste, it depends on your healing style.

In 25 mans I find it mostly wasted - there are just better spells for me to cast as a raid healer than Heal, Flash Heal, or Greater Heal. If I were tank healing as Holy, it'd be much more useful to me.

I think Surge of Light would be a strong talent for a Discipline tank healer, though. Personally I put the points in Inspiration and Darkness instead (and I think those are a significantly STRONGER choice for that role) but with the sheer amount of single target heals I cast when doing that, there are times I wish I could fit it into the spec.
    I agree
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Xelestial View Post
    Did you even notice that it procs from not only Smite and Heal now but from Flash Heal and Greater Heal? Therefore, way more procs? It USED to proc like crap. Like maybe once or twice a Heroic.
    I never use Flash Heal in Holy without SoL proc, and rarely use Greater Heal, and I found that it was proccing a shitload for me, too.

Stealth buff to its proc rate?
    Last edited by Vook; 2011-02-11 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

I'd say Surge of Light would moreso benefit a 10 man raid over a 25 man. You're more likely to heal tanks often in a 10 man versus a 25, where you have more healers more equipped to better off tank healing.

"Gearscore is like a bikini, what it shows is suggestive, what it hides is far more important!"

SoL is golden in pvp.

It can even proc off itself (i.e. it can proc from your free FoL).

I got 4 of them back to back yesterday. Pretty amazing for loose assignments.

I got 3 in a row during trash last night. It was pretty neat.

Looking at my WoL from 2 nights of raiding, it still looks like a 6% proc rate.

Like others have said, how much you actually use Heal/GHeal/FHeal will determine how useful this talent actually is for you.

I see it as free healing. It isnt reliable, but the SoL buff lasts like 6 seconds (maybe 8?) so in that time in a raid situation you can usually find a good place for the instant FH to go. Since it's instant, if you are smart then your SoL shouldn't do much overhealing either.

I am currently main spec holy.

However I picked up a disc offspec with surge of light in it.

SoL also procs off smite as well as flash/Gheal. Granetd how much you smite during a lot of fights to keep archangel up it has been proving extremley useful for me.

Both in PvE and PVP. Our next raid is sunday, so that will be my night to test it out.

However, as holy. I am noticing the ability for it to proc off itself extremley useful, 2 flash heals back to back within 2 seconds? yes please.