Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why play a pure class?

This is the current state of average top200 dps on Cata's answer of a Patchwerk fight.

As you can see every hybrid class have a specc capable of doing potential more damage than the potentiale best Warlock and Mage specc. So why even play a pure dps class if we dont have any benefits over other dps, or in this case actually is below?

Let me hear your opinions! And remember to keep discussion constructive

For me it's about the theme of the class and character itself, because I'd rather play a Warlock than a Priest or Shaman or something. Healing from destroying people with dark magic is a lot cooler than just healing.

Because you prefer it? Who cares if you have benefits. I'd like to see a Balance Druid tank up a Heroic Raid boss because "He's a Hybrid".

Deleted
    In terms of balancing,

1. The huge changes in patch 4.0.6. are barely a couple of days old.
    2. One fight doesn't mean anything.
    3. Many players are not used to the changes to their new class. This includes rotations.
    4. Many players have not re-geared/reforged appropriately. Ask many Fury warriors, for example.
    5. All *specs* scale differently. Hunters, for example, will get progressively worse compared to others due to Mastery being such a poor stat for them. They look best with low gear.

So, yeah, think you're getting a bit stressed a little early to say the least.

Besides, Blizzard long stopped implementing a "hybrid tax" system. DPS specs are considered independently. The greatest *intended* homogenization is with healers and secondly with tanks (yeah, I know it seems Blizzard have succeeded a lot more with tanks than healers). There is really very little reason to homogenize damage dealers. You'll never get it perfect anyway. Someone will always be top.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-02-12 at 01:42 AM.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1) The top DPS spec is a pure.

2) There's a 1K DPS difference between the specs you mentioned. Not gamebreaking at all, unless you're pushing bleeding edge content.

3) Play it if you like it. I like my hunter way more than my warlock or my shaman for instance. Should I play a shaman just because he's a hybrid?

4) 180 samples less than a week after vital class changes is hardly enough data to base real conclusions from.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-02-12 at 01:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are several benefits to playing a hybrid. The chance of you hitting a state of the art specc for arena are much bigger. Secondly, you don't need to level through 85 levels in order to play a different role.

Your point, imo, is moot. There are only 4 pure classes. If anything, A 'Pure' class is doing top dmg. As you can see, pure classes are holding ranks #1, 3, 6,10,11,14,15,16,17.19,21, & 22.

Given, 4 pure classes w/3 dps spec's each. All 3 spec's of each class is shown on your chart.
    The fight in particular is the least movement based fight in cata.
    Me thinks, you're just not liking that the 'pure casters' are not in the top ranks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    1) The top DPS spec is a pure.

2) There's a 1K DPS difference between the specs you mentioned. Not gamebreaking at all, unless you're pushing bleeding edge content.

3) Play it if you like it. I like my hunter way more than my warlock or my shaman for instance. Should I play a shaman just because he's a hybrid?

4) 180 samples less than a week after vital class changes is hardly enough data to base real conclusions from.
    1. That doesn't justify the situation for locks or mages

2. Most certainly not, but difference is difference. We weighing pros against cons, and basically if you sum it up, there are no pros to playing it other than taste

3. Agree with ya there

4. The samples are the 180 top samples from WoL, in other words the samples from the best players. Should be pretty accurate

Because Pures have a much higher probability of being top DPS at the end of the day. Maybe not at the moment... But by far and large Pures end up on top.

Also for a more accurate breakdown on Class/Spec DPS spread across all raid encounters, check out stateofdps.com. Depending on how you read the data Overall, the Pure DPS classes have a representative spec within the top 5 or top 7 of all 30 specs.

Not too shabby IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyz View Post
    There are several benefits to playing a hybrid. The chance of you hitting a state of the art specc for arena are much bigger. Secondly, you don't need to level through 85 levels in order to play a different role.
    Not really, out of all the Pures I think only Hunter hasn't been a main part of arena teams last season, and with their new buffs for a guess all of them will be now. Why does it matter? If you're jealous because that Druid can go respec resto and heal, re-roll too. Just because they have the capability to tank or heal, doesn't mean they can efficiently. The only benefit of having a talent tree is that you CAN spec into it, and most people who play these classes don't.

The only reason, imo, why Hybrids are better is because I personally hate Northrend, and as a tank or healer I can dungeon my way through. But you can get around that by getting a friend to level with you. Not to mention, half the time if you CAN heal or tank in a guild, you'll be forced into it.

1. That doesn't justify the situation for locks or mages
    So, when a Mage or Lock is top, and Hunter and Rogue are 2nd/whatever, you're still going to complain. You can only have one person top.

There's a whopping 1130 DPS between the Spriest(at #2, after a Pure) and the Lock. But realisticly, anyone who's going to be complaining about this wont be pulling that sort of DPS anyhow.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2011-02-12 at 01:43 AM.

You prefer the playstyle? You like having an aggro-drop that doesn't suck? You want to pvp as a dps and not get nerfed into oblivion/suck like all the hybrids who can heal? There are plenty of reasons to play a pure dps class.

This is the current state of average top200 dps on Cata's answer of a Patchwerk fight.

As you can see every hybrid class have a specc capable of doing potential more damage than the potentiale best Warlock and Mage specc. So why even play a pure dps class if we dont have any benefits over other dps, or in this case actually is below?

Let me hear your opinions! And remember to keep discussion constructive
    Because the game isnt always about playing whats best. It's a game, its meant to be fun so people play what they enjoy. Otherwise dps comps would be 17 MM hunters per raid

Quote Originally Posted by Ferledon View Post
    Your point, imo, is moot. There are only 4 pure classes. If anything, A 'Pure' class is doing top dmg. As you can see, pure classes are holding ranks #1, 3, 6,10,11,14,15,16,17.19,21, & 22.

Given, 4 pure classes w/3 dps spec's each. All 3 spec's of each class is shown on your chart.
    The fight in particular is the least movement based fight in cata.
    Me thinks, you're just not liking that the 'pure casters' are not in the top ranks.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Also, at least from what I've seen, any hybrid class seems to be a little more welcomed as a spec other than their dps spec. Just sayin'.

Deleted
    Uhm.. I was thinking about rolling a rogue but then I saw that DRUID'S CAN BE A BEAR OMOGMOGMGOM !1!11! You play it because you like it ?

Call me crazy here, but because you enjoy it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellevad View Post
    The polymorph turtle doesn't walk slower than the polymorph sheep. It's just a bit less likely to be hit on by a welshman

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    4. The samples are the 180 top samples from WoL, in other words the samples from the best players. Should be pretty accurate
    I don't agree here. Anyone can upload to WoL. Also, a lot of raiding guilds (mine included) don't even bother uploading Argaloth because he's a joke. How can we be sure the numbers aren't tainted? We're looking at 180 samples of people that bothered to upload a loot-pinata.

Why? Take a mage/lock>buy full pvp gear>fear/sheep/root the other team>instagib one guy>???>PROFIT!!!
    Rogue 80 (Gearing in progress) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Karazhan&cn=Lapsi
    Paladin 80 (On break) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Karazhan&cn=%C3%80ngel
    Death Knight 80 (Nearly done) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Karazhan&cn=Z%C3%ACdane
    Hunter 80 (Retiring) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Karazhan&cn=Markslady
    Mage 60 (Getting leveled next) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Karazhan&cn=Kuula

10+ Year Old Account
    First i gotta say it. Hybrids are just relic users might be old school of me but i'll NEVER see priests and warriors as hybrids no matter what ANYONE saya they are pures plain and simple the only hybrids to me and should be to other oldschool players are shammies druids pallies and now DK's it seems. Okay now that i've got that out of the way.

I main an enh shammie even my OS is enh i don't like to heal and with the buff changes in wrath if i can;t do damage even semi comparab;le to others i'm useless. Blizz has changed buffs so that we NEED to be on par damage wise or we'll never be taken. Things are different than in vanilla or BC in that we don;t have special buffs or special skills not really at least so unless we can eiher dmg or heal on par with say prietsrs or rogues there is no oint in our even existing. We used to get by on being good buffers maybe on our utility but now we need to get by on our dmg thus why we compete.

There that should sum it up rather succintly.Oh and yes it's also about preffered playstyle i like the battle mage style of enh shammies so i play one and it's my main. No other spec/class works as well for me personality and flavour wise at least though druids and DKs are definatley pretty high up there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sdracklryeg View Post
    Because you don't get jewed out by having to invest money into offspecs
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by sdracklryeg View Post
    Because you don't get jewed out by having to invest money into offspecs
    This is true. Hybrids take a hug time/resources hit due to thier secondary or third or fourth specs. I played a druid in ICC and literally had a full set for all specs because I was asked to help tank/feral dps in 10's and resto/boomkin in 25's. Despite getting 4 full sets, i can say that it was time consuming and keeping all those sets properly socketed, enchanted, researched, and having to pay for respecs was not easy. I know most hybrids arn't that dedicated, but almost all have 2 specs that if they optomize, they spend a good chunk of time and money keeping them updated.

So in my opinion, hybrids deserve to be equal to other classes in dps.

P.S. it's a game... get over it already.