Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I remember being super excited to play Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall when it came out, took them over a year to properly patch the game so that it was even remotely enjoyable.

Glad to see they are consistent, at least.

As much as I hate to say it, I understand why Bethesda isn't just giving you a CD key. You could have just removed the sticker from a game that your friend gave you, and said "hey, I didn't get a CD key".

If it was bought at gamestop, ask them if they will give you a CD key? When I bought my Counterstrike, it didn't have a CD key with it, they just gave me a new copy. But after waiting so long, they might not give you a new copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, I understand why Bethesda isn't just giving you a CD key. You could have just removed the sticker from a game that your friend gave you, and said "hey, I didn't get a CD key".

If it was bought at gamestop, ask them if they will give you a CD key? When I bought my Counterstrike, it didn't have a CD key with it, they just gave me a new copy. But after waiting so long, they might not give you a new copy.
    But think about it this way - It doesn't cost the company anything to give me a new CD key. I don't understand how they think it's good business to lose a customer over something that's not going to cost them anything. It's borderline crazy. I was even going to buy DLC. *shrug*

It does cost the company because while your complaint may or may not be legitimate (there's no way for them to tell), if they just gave away CD keys to everyone who said they got a game without one that's going down a slippery slope in the opposite direction. Anyone else could call them and give them your exact story and have it be a lie and then tell their friends etc. It doesn't make sense to have a policy like that, that's why they push it back on the retailers. Keep your receipt and deal with retailer directly is most often the best course of action.

two words.

Cracked copy.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Getting in touch with Gamestop is a good plan B. They tend to budge more quickly, especially when you get to a district manager. If it simply can't be resolved, I side with the "optional methods" solution. You bought the game, you're attempting to support the company. The end result of your effort should be that you use the product you paid for.

From time to time I'm tempted to send a letter like this to game devs: "Hi, I refuse to submit to your DRM method but I would like very much to play your game. I have found a means whereby I can play the game without the draconian system you chose to implement, but I still want to support your continued development of great games. So can I just send you guys a check for 60 bucks?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Buying games...who new lol 0o

To be fair, Fallout: New Vegas wasn't exactly breath taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a copy of WoW back in vanilla and the key was already in use. I simply took it back to gamestop and they gave me a new copy. Let them deal with it lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by N0stalgia View Post
    I have a question why are you trying to put it on steam? The hard copy games has nothing to do with steam. The product key looks like a serial number. and should be
    This! You don't need to put EVERY game on Steam to be able to play it. Just install it normally and open it up from it's own Directory.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is everyone saying that Bethesda has ripped him off/screwed him over.

Bethesda has every right to now allow him a free CD Key. It would be up to the shop he bought it from to sort it out, especially when he can't prove he bought it.

Take the company I work for, it would be no different than someone coming in a stealing a £300 jacket. Then coming back to see the manager and asking them to remove the tag so they can use it, even though they can't prove they bought it. Like hell would I just remove it when they can't prove it was purchased. I aint losing money.

Ps, I am in NO WAY implying you or anyone else associated with you or the purchase is a thief. It would merely be a precaution for the company.

Other than that, as yes. You did get UNLUCKY. Just crack it, you also own the copy, so you can freely download it aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyLee View Post
    Why is everyone saying that Bethesda has ripped him off/screwed him over.
    I think it's mostly because THEY didn't include a CD key in a game that requires a CD key to install.

I know they have the right not to give me a key. I'm not naive. But good customer support is saying the customer is always right. I'm not a repeat offender, and I'll make sure I damage their bottom line, even if it's only by $100 in the games I will no longer buy.
    Last edited by teeleh; 2011-02-16 at 12:57 AM.

Bethesda games are very good, when they decide to work.
    i hope their new engine coming with skyrim will eliminate alot of their problems(random lag freezes, ground bugs, etc) that they've had in oblivion and fallout 3.
    also the whole cd key thing is why i generally buy their games for console, had to buy oblivion twice.

All of their games are glitchy but still great...Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, what's disappointing about them other than shit customer service? >_<
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

10+ Year Old Account
    Most gamestops should be able to trace purchases via your gamestop powerplayer card (whatever its called) or via your credit/debit card. If anything you can print out a bank statement showing the currency paid at this gamestop location. In my experience Gamestop is an outstanding company, personally I go to the one by me just because of the good employees (while I understand this is a huge varaible dependent upon what teenager is currently behind the desk).

Trust in gamestop, they can help you, don't blame them though, it was probably a mistake.

You (or someone that gave the game to you as a gift) paid for something you cannot use. Thats illegal, and I would surely take them to small claims.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alone on the mountainside, breathing the clearest winds...
    try going around them... go to the gamestop and return your game for store credit... get it again, send them THAT reciept. Gamestop has always been good to me. It's worth a try, at the very least. Good luck man, I hope you get a chance to play F:NV, pretty fun game.

10+ Year Old Account
    only problem i ever had with bethesda was them corrupting my oblivion save file putting me 20 hours back

It really blows when you have to use cracks on games you bought, but sometimes they leave you no choice. It's ironic how they put up all these anti piracy measures, only to have those measures backfire on the paying customer. Leaving the pirates unaffected, and forcing people to resort to the pirates for help.

Sounds like Gamestop screwed you over, not Bethesda.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu