Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've just taken a week off from work because I had Laryngitis pretty bad. After taking a course of antibiotics my immune system became temporarily low and I caught a very nasty cold, i'm now back at work with said nasty cold because I don't get paid for days off work.

It's inconsiderate for someone to spread something that's hard hitting that causes you to be bed bound or unable to work properly (I lost my voice and i'm a manager for a sales call centre).
    Taking a day off because you have influenza (a cold) is just damn lazy. Man up, get some flu medicine and get your ass back to work. You're not dying so quit whining!

But you might give other people a cold too! I don't want to catch it!!
    BOO HOO. Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.
    Your 14.99 entitles you to play the game however you want. However, the rest of our $359.76 says learn your fucking class

If you're sick and you come into work, you should at least wear a mask or something :\.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very inconsiderate, especially later on (speak from experience) when a manager complains that you're ill, from something you've caught from them and are taking "too many" sick days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syntic View Post
    It's very inconsiderate, especially later on (speak from experience) when a manager complains that you're ill, from something you've caught from them and are taking "too many" sick days.
    Did the manager take days off sick for it? If not then you shouldn't be either.
    The reason companies are so harsh with sick days is to protect the business from individuals from pulling fake sick days left right and center.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.
    Your 14.99 entitles you to play the game however you want. However, the rest of our $359.76 says learn your fucking class

Quote Originally Posted by vrsick View Post
    I am at work right now and my manager just came into work and she is very sick. Coughing, sneezing, touching everything. Does anyone else see a problem with people doing this?
    In this day and age everyone is worried about keeping their job. One missed day can equate to a black mark even for upper management. Things are tough all over from the guy who mops the floors all the way to the top. I am sick at work today because I have shit to do and if it doesn't get done people above and below me feel the repercussions continuously.
    Krimson states...
    Clearly the correct play here is to drop acid everyday.
    Just because you can't easily overdose on acid doesn't mean that dropping 50 hits in a night won't turn you into a drooling retard.

If you have the sick time and you are a responsible person who doesnt generally abuse it, then yes if you are sick you should stay home. For that matter I wish people would keep their damn sick kids home from school so that my kid stops getting sick and bringing it home to me. I do understand some jobs do not offer sick time though and some employers absolutely will not allow you to call in sick unless you provide a note from a doctor. There is NO excuse for sending kids to school sick though.

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 05:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    it makes me mad when someone is sick and comes to work sneezeing, coughing.

but

it is also annoying being on the other side of that when it is something not contagious like a sore throat.

i get a sore throat at least twice a year for several days and people always tell me I shouldnt come to work sick.
    While a sore throat often is no big deal, it could also be strep throat which is most definitely contagious.

food for thought

According to the Centers for Disease Control, between 5 percent and 20 percent of Americans will catch the flu every year. Flu season can range anywhere from late fall to early spring, and most infections will occur at this time

As a result, and despite annual vaccinations, the U.S. faces a burden of influenza that results in approximately 36,000 deaths and more than 200,000 hospitalizations each year. In addition to this human toll, influenza is annually responsible for a total cost of over $10 billion in the U.S.

so i guess unless your one of those unlucky ones it all ok to bring your flu to work stuff every one else gotta look out for yourself man up every one its only a cold it cant hurt you i guess some forgot to tell the unlucky ones. the most stupid thing about all of this is the double standards of people if some one walked past you and farted in the face of a group of people sitting down there would be an outrage but people can come to work and cough and sneeze all over thier coworkers and spread illness and they get a pat on the back for manning up and being a trooper. The asians have us beat on this subject if you have an illness wear a mask its rude not to do your best to prevent spreading illness

No she's not inconsiderate...what you describe is the common cold and if you take time off for that you should be sacked.

omslemming
    Depends on the job u do and what how sickness pay works......at my plac for instance im a factory worker i do 3 12hour shifts a week friday-sunday now as we r not on a salary and on an hourly rate clocking in system our contra ts say we only start getting paid sickness pay aftef 3 shifta missed....now for me thatd mean id have to lose a whole weekend of work and pay to start gettiing si k pay......as a result the majority of people with a minor illnesz dont take time off......u can call it selfish but hey everyone does it and u know what sometimes u look out for number 1 ive got bills to pay i cant afford to lose that much money going ill......when ur not on a salaried job u only get paid for the hours ucwork.

I work for the state, and I only get ten hours of leave per month- which is usually used to accommodate errands that need to be taken care of.
    Illness doesn't warrant use of my leave usually. If I could take leave without pay when ill, I would, but doing so earns a write-up.

God bless America.

Deleted
    No one should come into work in a state that is going to make other people ill. It basically ends up being a case of you've forced yourself to come in to work despite not being fit for it, now I will catch what you have got and have to do the same.

A lot of companies want to guilt you into working even when you are genuinely not up to it and are incapable of understanding that once you get other people sick they will lose money as a result.

My friend runs a company and is sensible enough to just tell people not to come in if they are not well enough, as opposed to wasting everyone's time and money by just trying to work through it. It is a shame more managers do not think like this.

I rarely take days off myself unless I am incapable of working to anywhere near my normal standard. I never hesitate to make it clear to my employers that they should not even consider implying I am faking it. I have found if you deal with it in this way there is never a problem.

Sometimes you just can't afford the day off work (especially when the first day off is unpaid)

Deleted
    So basically you are afraid of someone who is sick? I have a immune system for such cases...

omslemming
    You can tell a lot of people posting against people coming into work sick work salaried jobs with built in sickness benefits.........its all vety well to tell us to be considerate but consideration cant pay my bills.......at a lot of places ie factories if ur not clocked in ur not being paid.....would u lose days of pay due to a cold? I didnt think so...lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone has the luxury of taking off when they're sick. With that said, they should at least be sanitary. Germ-X, Lysol, etc. My office keeps them stocked and bottles of Germ-X around key places in the office (fax, copier, break room, bathrooms, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidenreich View Post
    LOL!!! I'm glad you know everything about America there champ. In fact I'm pretty sure my place of work offers more Sick, Personal, and Vacation time then most jobs anywhere.....period. Oh and my job is in America. It's has to do with the corporation or company you work for, your country can only set minimal guidelines for them to follow.
    well its just all FINE AND DANDY that you have a nice place to work at. But im afraid that not everyone works at a company that seems to care about their workers health. Do you know why? because the majority of companies will try and find a replacement as soon as possible if their workers cant perform to their standards. If someone caught an illness that caused them to stay at home, they are more than likely going to work because they cant afford to not be paid, and their employers know this. But since their employers can find a replacement, they dont care, which is the case for many labor workers in the US

Nice to know that your company values you so much... I bet your responding from your desk though aren't you?
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

omslemming
    Thats why these big corperations offer such good sick benefits lol they stress there poor desk office monkeys to early heart attacks by the time there 50ish.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Many times, supervisors can't take days off (as well as employees). I worked for gamestop as a store manager and only had one day off (sunday) a week due to having no other key holders when i was promoted into that store. Many employees feel "uncomfortable" calling because of their boss...

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    well its just all FINE AND DANDY that you have a nice place to work at. But im afraid that not everyone works at a company that seems to care about their workers health. Do you know why? because the majority of companies will try and find a replacement as soon as possible if their workers cant perform to their standards. If someone caught an illness that caused them to stay at home, they are more than likely going to work because they cant afford to not be paid, and their employers know this. But since their employers can find a replacement, they dont care, which is the case for many labor workers in the US

Nice to know that your company values you so much... I bet your responding from your desk though aren't you?
    did you miss the last part of his post or even read what he was responding to

We have a nice rule in our office When somebody comes to work sick, all the healthy people go home.
    Ecce homo ergo elk