Can you put HM and MD to the tank in a macro?

I will let you guys know I know pretty much nothing about macros.

I know you can have HM and MD on a macro but I wasn't sure if you could make a code that would automatically MD to the tank just by pressing the button.

15+ Year Old Account
    as far as I know, the only way to do that is if you run with the same tank and can use his name, or change the name with every tank you run into.

I am FAR from an expert though.

Deleted
    Or put the tank as focus and write /cast [@focus] misdirection

Both is on the global cooldown but this should work:

#showtooltip
    /castsequence [@Focus] Misdirection, [harm] Hunter's Mark

Press it once for MD, and again for HM

Just have the tank as focus and done

Please ignore this post; Shazzia answered it better than me.

Deleted
    you could also make a "target of target" macro, if you have the boss in focus it will MD the bosses target, which would be the tank. not sure how to make one though ;(

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethilliz View Post
    you could also make a "target of target" macro, if you have the boss in focus it will MD the bosses target, which would be the tank. not sure how to make one though ;(
    Unless you're doing it on pull, in which case it would be... nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethilliz View Post
    I use this for TotT midfight, but its basically the same.

#showtooltip
    /cast [@targettarget] Misdirection

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzia View Post
    Both is on the global cooldown but this should work:

#showtooltip
    /castsequence [@Focus] Misdirection, [harm] Hunter's Mark

Press it once for MD, and again for HM

Just have the tank as focus and done
    Without a modifier key you cannot sequence different spells onto different targets.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    Without a modifier key you cannot sequence different spells onto different targets.
    Cast sequence allows you to switch between the casting of abilities. press it once for the first ability, the second time it will be the second, third the first again, fourth the second and so on.

/target (Tank Name)
    /cast Misdirect
    /targetlasttarget

I've been using that for just over a month with no problems, mind you I've only been playing my old Vanilla/BC hunter main as my Cata main for slightly longer than that. I have separate macros made for each tank we have in guild, and a PUG macro that I change when I run with pug tanks. The cool thing about separate macros is I hotkey both in raids so I can misdirect to either tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeday View Post
    /target (Tank Name)
    /cast Misdirect
    /targetlasttarget

That's essentially the same macro as /cast [@tankname] Misdirection.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."

Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru View Post
    That's essentially the same macro as /cast [@tankname] Misdirection.
    Now you just miss that he want HM aswell witch means you will have to push the button twice to get it

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /stopattack
    /cancelaura Misdirection
    /cast [@focus, nodead, help] Misdirection
    /cast [@target, help] Misdirection
    /cast [@pet, nodead, help] Misdirection
    /stopmacro [nocombat]
    /startattack
    Casts MD on your focus if you have one. If you don't it casts it on your friendly target. If you're not targeting something friendly, it'll cast it on your pet. If you're in combat, it won't interrupt your auto-attack. The cancelaura line is in there for solo play when you have MD glyphed; it cancels the buff and immediately reapplies it.

I don't have Hunter's Mark macroed just because it's on the GCD as well. Considering the simple functionality of HM, I just don't think it's worth anything other than a simple keybind.

edit: Saw some posts with /cast [@targettarget] MD. Wouldn't suggest doing that since it won't cast if the mob is targeting you. Just focus your tank and make it easy for yourself.

This macro will do what the OP wants.

While targeting boss/mob, hit this macro:

/cast Hunter's Mark;
    /target focus;
    /cast Misdirection;
    /targetlasttarget

-set the tank as your focus.

I'd reccommend adding /petattack as the last line, and keeping your pet on passive at almost all times. You could add in /cast killcommand too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandello View Post
    /cast Hunter's Mark;
    /target focus;
    /cast Misdirection;
    /targetlasttarget
    The conditionals in macros such as [@target] and [@focus] keep you from having to add in /target focus and /targetlasttarget lines in your macros. A line such as /cast [@focus] Misdirection means the Misdirection spell is cast at the focus.

You can't macro Hunter's Mark and Misdirection together since they both trigger the same global cooldown. Use the Misdirection macro I posted above:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /stopattack
    /cancelaura Misdirection
    /cast [@focus, nodead, help] Misdirection
    /cast [@target, help] Misdirection
    /cast [@pet, nodead, help] Misdirection
    /stopmacro [nocombat]
    /startattack
    What I recommend doing is macroing your Hunter's Mark and pet attack into the same macro.

Code:
    /cast Hunter's Mark
    /stopmacro [nocombat]
    /petattack
    Last edited by Sj; 2011-02-21 at 07:45 PM.