am i supposed to use Heal?

i have flash heal, greater heal, binding heal, some other heals and "heal". the latter seems to produce very little healing at a high mana cost, compared to other heals. should i use it regardless and if so, when and why? if not, why is it there?

It's pretty much a filler when there's low damage incoming, due to its low mana cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not high mana cost at all...
    Triple mage, Triple fun!

High and low rated PvP videos. Intention of being fun and educating (at times)

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also use Heal - if you are speced Disc, to drop the debuff effect off targets you shield with Powerword: shield. ----PW:S >Heal>Heal>Weakened Soul gone>PW:S YAY HAPPY!

This smells of troll to me...

Quote Originally Posted by BobM1 View Post
    i have flash heal, greater heal, binding heal, some other heals and "heal". the latter seems to produce very little healing at a high mana cost, compared to other heals. should i use it regardless and if so, when and why? if not, why is it there?
    It looks to me like you're somewhere in WotLK, when "Heal" didn't almost heal at all, and Flash Heal was the way to go as disc, and Greater Heal as holy due to Serendipity... It's not the case anymore, afaik "Heal" is the first thing to use (of course this is situation-dependant), Flash Heal isn't anywhere as spammable as it used to be, due to its huge mana cost.
    I used to play holy at the beginning of Cataclysm and I got used to using Heal pretty fast, now I'm back to discipline and I'm still using it (when I have time and don't have to spam PoH :> ).
    For me, Flash Heal has become one of my "oh sh**" buttons, whereas Heal, Greater Heal and Binding (only when necessary) are my best friends. (Not to mention PW: S and PoM).

Quote Originally Posted by Zidius View Post
    This smells of troll to me...
    I have just fed it, haven't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    You can also use Heal - if you are speced Disc, to drop the debuff effect off targets you shield with Powerword: shield. ----PW:S >Heal>Heal>Weakened Soul gone>PW:S YAY HAPPY!

It has a 3 sec cast tho. Good move if you have spare time on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevian8 View Post
    It has a 3 sec cast tho. Good move if you have spare time on your hands.
    2.1 seconds here, just like Greater :P

obvious troll is obvious, if you arent trolling, then you're a bad player! :|

thanks for the info guys. just started lvling my lvl 64 priest again after more than half a year of playing my other toons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VitesseEOD View Post
    obvious troll is obvious, if you arent trolling, then you're a bad player! :|
    Or just a player that is learning and needs a bit of help?

go back to your cave if you dont want to help

OT: Idd Heal is a nice filler spell for just topping up when theres not much else going on, but i am speaking of how i use it at 85, i levelled as shadow so at lower levels i am not to sure how well it scales at that level.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the info guys. just started lvling my lvl 64 priest again after more than half a year of playing my other toons.
    This explains a lot. Until level 83 mana is really easy to manage. Still it's good practice to use as little mana as possible, which is where Heal comes in. It heals for little but costs next to no mana.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I read you're back on your level 64 priest and that,as said before, justifies the question. Anyway, the answer is: "Yes"; from when you get 84 to when you have some decent 346+ gear it's the only way you have to avoid going OOM in the middle of a dungeon fight. Patch 4.0.6 shield improvement will help you in not needing to use more powerful (and ridiculously mana costing) spells too. Cast time won't be normally a big issue. You're gonna love it, for a while at least

Once you get enough puts to put them in the holy tree, there are talents to reduce the cast time, before you have them, it feels like forever to cast it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    with the recent changes, greater and flash also lower Weakened Soul shield debuff. they have significantly dumbed down disc heals from start of cata, making it more and more like wrath with shield spam/renew +'other' viable now at least to the level of difficulty of bh and 5 man heroics.