Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't blame Blizzard for something they didn't do. As suggested, there are plenty of ways to make some quick cash to get a video game you really want

IIRC EA was the first (with Modern Warfare I think...) to offer a $60 video game.

Also, while you seem to think that Blizzard makes $170 million a month, they also shell out well over $150,000 a day in server costs for WoW alone. This is not battle.net, this is not anything else, just WoW servers. Add that to corporate costs, salaries, etc., etc. and you can see that things add up fast.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awkawata View Post
    the fact your crying about 60 dollar games makes me lol. alot of other countrys have games at 100dollars and are on 1=1dollar with US... so all i can say to u is suck it up
    Swiss Francs are (I think it's somewhere around 0.98:1). And I pay 80 CHF per PC game and 100 for a console game and it's been like that for ages.

If the game is too expensive for you, then wait a year until it's half the price.
    Or rent it.
    Or buy a second hand version.

As someone else has already said: Gaming is still a rather cheap hobby, even when counting in hardware cost. Comparing it to cinmeas, where I pay 15-20 CHF for a two hour movie, we're still doing quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    That isn't a monopoly at all.

Plenty of folks would consider your 90k excessive and obsessive. A large family in an expensive area would consider it barely making the bills. However, that's likely another conversation.

Capitalism has absolutely nothing to do with need. You don't 'need' video games in the first place, if that's the angle you're going to take.
    I live in an area where a total household income of 90,000 is barely making the bills, for a full family at least. I however, am the only one living here, so it's not so hard to keep up 1 person(and I prefer it that way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorcane View Post
    LOL 10 year old on his daddy's account!
    Ah the old go to insult, age. Nice one, I am defeated.

Then who's fault would it be, what PC game was 60 dollars before Starcraft II?
    There were a few games before SC2.
    http://www.grandtheftpc.com/2010/04/...ng-60-now.html

I feel I should mention I think 10$ more for a good game like SC2 is worth it, where 10$ more for a PoS single player with little replay-ability like Ass creed is not worth it.
    The biggest issue right now is that all companies try and charge 60% right out of the gate for a new game, even if said game is shit. (Black ops)

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Swiss Francs are (I think it's somewhere around 0.98:1). And I pay 80 CHF per PC game and 100 for a console game and it's been like that for ages.

If the game is too expensive for you, then wait a year until it's half the price.
    Or rent it.
    Or buy a second hand version.

As someone else has already said: Gaming is still a rather cheap hobby, even when counting in hardware cost. Comparing it to cinmeas, where I pay 15-20 CHF for a two hour movie, we're still doing quite well.
    A) You can't rent PC Games.
    B) You can't buy used PC Games.

A Troll is someone who insults a user with the sole intent of harassment. I don't recall doing that in my post.
    Anyway, they didn't have a lot of people working on Starcraft II. If I'm not mistaken, the DVD claimed they only had 2 or 3 programmers and 5 or 6 artists. Most of the money I think went into the cinematics department.
    You're insulting Blizzard with the sole intent of harassment. Your initial claim was that Starcraft II was the first PC game to cost 60 bucks. We proved your wrong. It isn't Blizzard's fault. Thus, your thread is invalid. You came in here, essentially flaming, and report someone for harassment for calling you a fool?

You are a fool. And I wouldn't care if even got an infraction for that, because your entire thread is a flame with no valid base argument.

If you think $60 is too much to pay for a PC game, then don't buy them.

That simple.

Price is based on demand. Obviously, those with the demand are just fine with the price. Or else, they would not buy, and thus, the price would go down.

Deleted
    Illegal downloads is the sole reason for high game prices, too many cheap ass torrent freakz bootlegging the shit out of games, movies and music and the honest working person pays the price :<

Starcraft II didn't cost that much to make. It was the complete overhaul of battle.net. And anyway, Blizzard makes at least 170 million dollars a month from World of Warcraft, not mentioning the people that actually buy the game+expansions, so where the hell does that money go? People were getting on fine selling the games at 50 dollar each. Selling them at 60 is just showing how greedy those rich fat-ass CEOs are.
    There is this thing... its called inflation. You might notice it more often in things such as Gas prices.
    Even video games need to go up in price bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Allìus View Post
    Sc2 deserved the pricetag it had a HUGE amount of money that was sank into it. atleast 3-4 time any other game that goes at $60
    And yet it sucked.. The campaign was very flat and boring and the multiplayer experience came nowhere close to WC3. It's not a bad game but since the amount of money it consumed was huge I found myself pretty disappointed..

One of the reasons I quit console games is because of the price of the games. 60 dollars for a video game is just too ridiculous, and console games ranged from 40-50 dollars. Well then Blizzard comes out with Starcraft II at 59.99, and it seems that their greed has spread to other game companies as well. I really want to play Dead Space 2 but there is no way possible that it's worth 60 dollars, no game is. I just want to thank Blizzard for single-handedly permantly raising the prices on PC games with their stupid Starcraft II game. Thanks Blizz, your greed makes the god damn world go round.

/rant
    Go fire up your xbox or PS3 and go buy the downloadable games. There are plenty on there for less than $60. Are they a little worse than games you buy in disc form? Sure, but you seem to be expecting them to sell the same product for the same price when development costs just go up. Do you expect a programming working in 2010 to be making the same amount as back in 2000? Did you expect advertising costs to stay the same?

Also there is steam. Plenty of games on there for $20-30. If you want the latest and the greatest, well just suck it up and pay the $60.

L2 research a product before investing the money into it. You said you bought all those games and now you realize they suck. Maybey ou should of got a demo first or read up on all of it online.

You sound like a person who went to Jaguar Dealership and thought "oh shweets im gunna gets me a hot jag for myselvz todays ".
    Then didn't bother test driving it or looking at the specs in detail or comparing prices but taking it home and finding out you just bought an over priced ford.

Use gamefly then if you hate buying expensive video games. Rent the game as long as you want, return it when you are bored of it. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    (Oh god I'm such a troll)

It's called supply and demand. They charge that price because they can. They would be fools not to, it's simple business.

If it too expensive, then there are several suggestions. 1) Do what I do, and wait for most titles until they are at least 6 months old before buying. I just downloaded Mass Effect 2 from Steam this past week for $20. I don't think I'm getting any less enjoyment from it than those of you that paid $50 or more, and played it while it was still 'fresh'. 2) Get a job other than cashiering at the local Gamestop?

Blaming Blizzard for game prices is rediculous. If you want to place blame even semi-accurately, then blame the consumers that shelll out for these games, they day they come out, with loads of collectors edition sales, regardless of price. AS WELL AS buy anything they put up in thier pet store, buy downloadable content, etc., etc. They are the ones that control the economy. If they aren't buying, then game makers aren't selling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtakes View Post
    Then you should have no problem paying for 60$ games.
    Or, much more importantly, he should have no problem understanding why video games are being priced at $60.

I'm not sure why he responded since I was referring to OP, unless he shares OP's viewpoint - in which case, it's time to switch majors. Fast.

So you think that because they make !#$tons of REVENUE (revenue =! profit), from an entirely different product that all their other products should be cheaper? umm.. no.

Also keep in mind that SC2 is primarily an online multiplayer game that does NOT require a subscription. How long did blizzard support SC1 multiplayer? You are paying not only for the game but for the server (battle.net) maintenance and everything that goes into the multiplayer aspect of the game as well. I would be ecstatic if WoW charged a flat rate of $60, hell I would pay $250 or $300 for it if I didnt have to pay a monthly subscription and would still make out like a bandit.

TLDR: Economics and basic business principles > you

Deleted
    Starcraft II didn't cost that much to make. It was the complete overhaul of battle.net. And anyway, Blizzard makes at least 170 million dollars a month from World of Warcraft, not mentioning the people that actually buy the game+expansions, so where the hell does that money go? People were getting on fine selling the games at 50 dollar each. Selling them at 60 is just showing how greedy those rich fat-ass CEOs are.
    Have you got any idea how much it costs to run servers on this scale :

1. Running 500 +- servers, isn't cheap, maintenance costs are pretty high.
    2. Electricity costs are also pretty high.
    3. Having a full staff on nigth shift to make sure all world servers stay up, costs also quite a lot

I think easily 50% what they earn is spread over these 3. Then they also need to pay all the other employees, etc...

Blizzard makes quite some profit yes, but in the end all their profit needs to be pumped back into their business to keep on expanding and providing a good service to all players.

10+ Year Old Account
    The more work people put into a game, the more it's going to cost, plain and simple.

Plus, you should ALWAYS charge at the amount that you think will be as high as customers will pay. That way you get more profit.

And it's not like you have to play video games you know. Go outside. Read a book. If you really can't spare 60 bucks for one game (last time I checked most of them don't even cost that much) then you shouldn't be complaining about Blizzard, you should be complaining about the fact that you don't make enough money to sate your ever whiny addiction.
    Kind of why vigilantism isn't a policy to be proud of. It's rather like trying to solve a rat problem by beating them to death with a live cobra.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dude you are a complete tool. Steps for you to take from this:
    A) Get a Job so you can afford a measly 50$ game
    B) Do some research in the gaming industry
    C) Some business education wouldn't hurt either.

Let's say Blizzard has about 200 employees on there Production team, which I would say is a disgustingly low amount. Let's say that each one makes a minimum entry salary of say; 40,000? That's about 8mil right there. Except people on the CG, Game developers, Artists etc (basically anyone who went to school for a long time to get really fucking good at what they do) are making probably closer to 80-90k/year. And that's probably still undercutting it. Then you're looking at about 16mil in one part of your productions wage alone. That's not even including all of the people in there customer service department, which would easily dwarf the production team. On top of that you add in marketing, upkeep or additions of new equipment (what happens if they need more server racks? do you have any idea how expensive that kind of equipment is?) plus the percentage of earnings that go to Activision. And you think when they sell games at all of these stores around the world there getting 60-50$ directly into the "blizzard bank account" for each copy sold? And the stores aren't benefiting at all? L-o-L.

And like everyone in this thread has said, Blizzard didn't ruin PC game prices. There have been PLENTY of games that have sold for way way more money. If you haven't noticed (obviously you're not a gamer) most prices on video games and PC games are creeping up to that standard. Cost of living goes up, wages go up, consumer products go up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensenmanN View Post
    There were a few games before SC2.
    http://www.grandtheftpc.com/2010/04/...ng-60-now.html

I feel I should mention I think 10$ more for a good game like SC2 is worth it, where 10$ more for a PoS single player with little replay-ability like Ass creed is not worth it.
    The biggest issue right now is that all companies try and charge 60% right out of the gate for a new game, even if said game is shit. (Black ops)
    I just LOLed so hard at your avatar right now. Amazing.