Thread: Fedor loss !!!

Fedor loss !!!

So Fedor lost to "Big Foot" Silva.

A sad day for MMA

Is there a video? I don't have TV so no fight channels.

Moved, 'cause this totally has to do with World of Warcraft General Discussions.

he hasn't been "the old fedor" for years, he's lost a bit of his explosiveness and he knows it, that's why he's been a bit more willing to take a risk that he used to not take, and he's missing with shots he never missed with

all this and him being the smallest heavyweight in the division anywhere means he's just not the old fedor, the guy has fought what, close to 40 fights in just over a decade, all in the HW division

he's not even as big as some of the guys who fight in LHW and even guys like anderson silva can cut to fight at 185 and show up on fight day at 220lbs

it's the norm to fight down, cutting is as much a part as anything and is definitely a skill

i hope he does retire, i don't wanna see fedor fight at 75% of what he was, or i want to see him fight at 205 where he's not the little guy in every fight

these pride guys are older than their age, they've been professionals for a lot longer than a lot of these 20 and 30 something guys in the UFC have been fighting period

fedor has a younger brother who may be fun to watch, ivan, and already made a name for himself in the sambo world (fedor was sambo world champ a few times) and ivan may make his MMA debut in 2011

fedor says ivan is ahead of him and aleksandr at that age with far more potential so who knows

but the way fedor lost made me sick

15+ Year Old Account
    i was kinda disappointed as well, but silva fought pretty well, he was ahead anyway even if the fight wasn't stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPoetry View Post
    i was kinda disappointed as well, but silva fought pretty well, he was ahead anyway even if the fight wasn't stopped.
    the fight should have been stopped though, it was the right call and even fedor didn't have a problem with it. the lesnar vs carwin fight SHOULD have been stopped for the same reasons, lesnar had his ass beat to a pulp in the first round and carwin just gassed (first time not ending a fight in round 1) but you're not supposed to let a fighter keep going when permanent eye damage is likely

an orbital isn't that hard to break and if it gets broken, it can cause some severe issues if you don't stop there

Why isn't this in the MMA thread under sports.

How was that an upset? He kicked his ass.

Deleted
    I was dissapointed also. Silva had enormous weight and size adventage so ye, it was hard. I also saw interview with Werdum, saying Fedor camp is a problem and I was like.. right! You know they don't get their asses out of russia and use the same old methods.. No inovation, no improvment. My opinion :P

Washed up heavyweight tournament, its a lot like watching old timer hockey, good for nostalgia and because you enjoy the sport, totally meaningless in every other way.

Reem aside the entire group is irrelevant.

Wow.

Maybe after a couple of losses Fedor will start training seriously and go to the UFC to see if he really is worth a damn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerika View Post
    Wow.

Maybe after a couple of losses Fedor will start training seriously and go to the UFC to see if he really is worth a damn.
    UFC at his age, when he mentioned retiring? noway :x

Fedor was the best in the world and thats how I'll remember him. He is past his prime and the sport is evolving, perhaps beyond what his training can cope with. I would love to see the 3rd brother fight. I've always enjoyed both Fedor and Aleksander.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardcashshop View Post
    the fight should have been stopped though, it was the right call and even fedor didn't have a problem with it. the lesnar vs carwin fight SHOULD have been stopped for the same reasons, lesnar had his ass beat to a pulp in the first round and carwin just gassed (first time not ending a fight in round 1) but you're not supposed to let a fighter keep going when permanent eye damage is likely

an orbital isn't that hard to break and if it gets broken, it can cause some severe issues if you don't stop there
    i'm not arguing the call in the slightest. its just when you see such a legend, one of the best pound for pound fighters ever to grace the planet, get dominated like that round 2, its kinda hard not to be disappointed =P i wasn't disappointed with the call, i should have made that clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    How was that an upset? He kicked his ass.
    It's an upset because the underdog won.

I like Fedor but his loss isn't entirely unexpected.

Mixed martial arts have evolved considerably since Emelianenko began a decade ago
    Although Emelianenko isn't old by most standards, he has almost certainly peaked and is declining physically.
    Emelianenko has never been a strict adherent to exercise and nutrition science which is now a necessary component for world class MMA

Having said that, I believe that Emelianenko could compete at world class levels again. Randy Couture is outstanding evidence that a fighter can adapt and overcome obstacles.
    Last edited by Purrfunctory; 2011-02-18 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purrfunctory View Post
    I like Fedor but his loss isn't entirely unexpected.

Mixed martial arts have evolved considerably since Emelianenko began a decade ago
    Although Emelianenko isn't old by most standards, he has almost certainly peaked and is declining physically.
    Emelianenko has never been a strict adherent to exercise and nutrition science which is now a necessary component for world class MMA

Having said that, I believe that Emelianenko could compete at world class levels again. Randy Couture is outstanding evidence that a fighter can adapt and overcome obstacles.
    Exactly. Personally, I'd love to see Fedor lose again and then pretty much be forced into the UFC for the money grab. With this he may actually decide to seriously train and even though he is probably past his prime physically you only have to watch him fight to see that man is a complete animal and could do a lot of serious damage to fighters in the UFC. Especially since he's still not quite old enough to call it quits since there are quite a few highly ranked fighters that are much older than he is.

There is still time. I'd like to see as would most (win or lose).

15+ Year Old Account
    Going to put this in the sports forum for you. There is already a conversation about the loss ongoing in the MMA Thread if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPoetry View Post
    i'm not arguing the call in the slightest. its just when you see such a legend, one of the best pound for pound fighters ever to grace the planet, get dominated like that round 2, its kinda hard not to be disappointed =P i wasn't disappointed with the call, i should have made that clearer.
    at the same time, i wouldn't have been surprised if in round 3, the larger fighter is extremely gassed and gets either knocked out (all the HW say fedor hits harder than anyone) or submitted

like the lesnar carwin fight, teh fight should have been stopped, but wasn't, adn carwin was worn out in round 2 and lesnar won

but like i said, they did the right thing stopping it, if that was a street fight i'd still bet on fedor because unless he's dead, he will not stop, he could see out of one eye, had a guy that weight 290lbs on top of him hammering his face and he still got out, rolled out of a submission and put on an ankle lock

but imagine a 155lb guy fighting a HW, that's what the size difference in fedor and a handful of HWs is, the AVERAGE weight for all the guys who have fought in that division in strikeforce or UFC in the past year is 259lbs, that's just a lot to handle for a guy who has never been over 230lbs

throw in the fact that he's mid 30s, been in over 100 matches of mma/sambo and is just generally at the end of his career and that kind of loss happpens.

i just wish the fans respected great athletes like him, he's never disrespected anyone, never gloated, never been anything but a professional and the ohter fighters still consider him one of the GOAT

nowadays it's cool to bash guys like that i guess