Thread: Fire is fun!

Fire is fun!

Hot damn fire mages are fun!

I recently decided that I'm bored of my shadow priest and that although I love my mutilate rogue, I just wanted something different to toy with outside of heroics and raiding and the odd bit of PVP. I almost went with a demonology warlock. My first toon ever, six years ago, was a human warlock and he was great fun. Lost that account (long story) and although I levelled a few 'locks to mid 40s and one even to 60ish, I just never got that thrill back. I'd also tried numerous times to level a mage and just found them god-awfully dull or piss-weak. Mobs and quests that my rogues/warlocks/warriors/hunters/shamans/priests were getting through easily, the mage was struggling.

And then Cataclysm came along.

Once I hit 10th-level and got Impact specced, I was hooked. Mutilate, to me, is very calculated and rhythmic. It has a very smooth flow to it that is predictable and controllable. There's no surprises with the spec. And I like that. There's a certain level of zen you can attain with such momentum. But fire-mages are the total opposite. It's like, one minute you're doing your rotation and the next, everything is CRAZY! BOOM! BOOM! BANG! And then back to calm

I honestly don't care if it's good or bad DPS or if it's great or poor for PVP. It's just a really fun spec to play

Deleted
    Well fire mages are pretty fun in dungeons with blastwave, instant flamestrike and the impact to spread DOTs. It also has it's moments in raiding, but for the most part you won't be using impact in raids.

But it is good that you are having fun with it though.

this again -.-

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Hot damn fire mages are fun!
    I recently decided that I'm bored of my shadow priest and that although I love my mutilate rogue...
    Mutilate, to me, is very calculated and rhythmic. It has a very smooth flow to it that is predictable and controllable. There's no surprises with the spec. And I like that. There's a certain level of zen you can attain with such momentum. But fire-mages are the total opposite. It's like, one minute you're doing your rotation and the next, everything is CRAZY! BOOM! BOOM! BANG! And then back to calm
    Amazing! Exactly my scenario! So-So S priest, monotonous muty rogue (yet zen) and now love my Fire Mage! At level 85 heroics and raiding, it only gets better my friend! Sure we are crit dependent but appeasing the RNG gods is part of the fun.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to try out fire spec after 2 years. But I respecced to Arcane 2 minutes later. They removed the pushback from Blast Wave. Which was for me my favorite spell in all of WoW. It got me to do so many fun things. Thanks Blizzard

That's all Blast Wave was good for when it had a knockback effect, in my opinion; doing "fun" things. I think I could count on one hand the number of times I actually used Blast Wave in a dungeon or raid before 4.0. Now, I use it all the time.

To the OP: Fire Mages are awesome, I agree. Wait till you can Impact a nice strong Combustion across a big pack of mobs.

I think Alfred in "The Dark Knight" has it right. Some people "just want to watch the world burn." That's a fire mage for ya.

Fire really is fun.

I wish it was better at killing and controlling players though. You have all these cool instant cast AoE and DoTs and you can scorch on the move, cool! And then a warrior just strolls up to your face and beats the shit out of you because fire spec has very little capability of controlling that warrior's uptime on your face.

It seems unfair, really, for one DPS spec to have drastically so much more control than another DPS spec in the same class. Frost mages have, how many roots? Let's count. With Cold Snap, when an enemy runs into a Frost Mage, they have: Cone of Cold x2, Frost Nova x2, Pet Freeze x2, Shattered Barrier x2 without Cold Snap -> x3 with Cold Snap. That's 9 roots right off the bat, and that's before even considering Ring of Frost x2, Deep Freeze x2, Ice Block x2, and on top of all that control... 4 snare abilities.

It'd be nice if all of the mage specs were somewhat more equal in terms of PVP viability. A little variety in the PVP scene is always welcome.
    Last edited by Hotfish; 2011-02-19 at 12:24 AM.
    Hotfish - Kil'jaeden