Thread: Emp Scorpions

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampantsoto View Post
    Oh lol I get it. Yeah he's in a good spot right now I think. I wanted to move him to one of the more darker corners in my room.
    dunno how your room is set up, but where i used to live we had the closets with sliding doors generally... pop the doors off and you got a neat little enclosure that's usually not in direct sunlight/ vents and can be a bit more controlled ^^;

only downside is depending where you are when you're in the room, you might have limited vision and might be far enough away that you miss seeing them start to move around

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    dunno how your room is set up, but where i used to live we had the closets with sliding doors generally... pop the doors off and you got a neat little enclosure that's usually not in direct sunlight/ vents and can be a bit more controlled ^^;

only downside is depending where you are when you're in the room, you might have limited vision and might be far enough away that you miss seeing them start to move around
    Well he's no where near direct sunlight, but my computer screen does illuminate the tank a little. I was thinking to the side of one of my dressers witch has a shadow 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampantsoto View Post
    I got the Zoo Meds recommended heat pad for a 10Lt tank, But it's not really warming up as much as I would like it to. If I do move the pad under witch side of the tank do you recommend, because he's already made a nice burrow for himself on one side.
    Put it on the opposite side of the aquarium from where his burrow is. Also, you may not notice it heating up the aquarium much because you've got so much substrate in there; it may take a while for it to come up to temperature. You can try adding a REGULAR light bulb to the top, but don't use a heat bulb. The regular light bulb will put out a small amount of heat, but it's nowhere near the moisture-obliterating rays that a typical heat bulb puts out.

As far as where you're putting his tank...don't put it where it gets direct sunlight, as that can cook him in short order, and don't put it near something like a wood stove. Near your monitor is fine, near your TV is fine, pretty much anywhere that doesn't experience a very large change in heat is fine. Try to keep them away from vibrations as well; next to a speaker is a bad place to keep him.

Alright thanks for all the info. I want to get some type of lighting for the tank, however a lot of things are harmful. What do you think would be the best a Blacklight or a Exo Terra Heat-Glo Infrared Spot Lamp.

Just go with a regular light bulb. One of the CFL energy-saver bulbs would work well; try to get one with a color temperature of 6700k or so, as it's the closest to natural sunlight. Using a blacklight can be harmful to your animal over time.

props to you but man, it's a scorpion - that would just freak me the hell out knowing that was in my house! Reminds me of when an old teacher of mine kept a tarantula in class, i didn't know a fat kid could move as fast as i did when that crazy bitch brought it out!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

I'd like you to meet the Goliath Bird-Eater Tarantula:

Yes, that's actual size. We used to have one a little bigger than that at a pet store I worked at, and I'd take it out and let it crawl onto my back, then help customers and wait to see how long it would take them to realize I had a mother-flogging huge spider stuck to my back. Most of them wouldn't believe me when I said it wasn't a prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminar View Post
    Whatever you do, don't put a drop of alcohol on his back. He'll sting himself to death if you do.
    so you're saying you've tried this?

And yes, that's a wonderful atrocity to all things pet I'd like to have within 100 ft of me. Just looking at its....creepy...black...poisonous...

*leaves in a cool mood, ignore the arm flailing and screaming*
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Ugh bout jumped out of my chair when I saw the OP's picture. I've seen enough scorpions in Phoenix to make me never want to see one of those nasty little things again! I gotta ask though, what's the appeal really? Not trying to be rude, I just honestly never got the appeal of pets that you cant touch or do anything with.

Typically pets that you can't hold or cuddle or take for walks reward you in different ways, such as unique appearance or behavior.

Yeah the uniqueness of the pet made was a real appeal. I always thought scorpions were cool even at a young age. Being born in November made me want it even more.

---------- Post added 2011-02-21 at 04:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    Just go with a regular light bulb. One of the CFL energy-saver bulbs would work well; try to get one with a color temperature of 6700k or so, as it's the closest to natural sunlight. Using a blacklight can be harmful to your animal over time.
    I was thinking of getting him one of those red nocturnal infrared lights. The scorpion is suppose to not even notice the light and it adds some extra heat to my tank.

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    I'd like you to meet the Goliath Bird-Eater Tarantula:

Yes, that's actual size. We used to have one a little bigger than that at a pet store I worked at, and I'd take it out and let it crawl onto my back, then help customers and wait to see how long it would take them to realize I had a mother-flogging huge spider stuck to my back. Most of them wouldn't believe me when I said it wasn't a prop.
    You know your too used to exotic pets when the first thing you notice in that picture is the ancient PC XD