Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Best pet for Marksman DPS?

Yeah im a Marksman hunter, and i've had this damn dog pet from Scarlet Monastery sense like Lv30, and i was wondering if theres any Catacyslm pets that increase DPS for me or anything, cause this thing sucks, it hits for like 400's and well yeah, and if there is a pet is it easy to obtain? I dont wanna sit around for 8 hours looking for some rare spawn that 20 other hunters are.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Hunter Subforums.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to direct you to http://wow-petopia.com for a complete list of pet families, skills, and appearances. It'll be way more helpful than just throwing a pet out at random.

The dog from SM has an immobilize, which is great and all, but it doesn't help your DPS any. Try getting a pet with a buff that benefits you, and ideally buffs the whole group with something the group is missing.

Possible options include:
    Wolf 5% crit
    Cat Agi/Str
    Ravager 4% physical damage taken
    Raptor sunder armor

...and many more!

Anything you would recommend? Like something under Ferocity Pets,Tenacity Pets, or Cunning?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ferocity are your pure DPS pets: more damage, less survivability.

Tenacity are meant as tanks: more survivability, less damage.

Cunning are utility/PVP pets: a 50/50 mix of survivability and damage.

However, with that in mind, damage has been largely equalized between them, so don't be afraid to use a Cunning pet if it buffs the group the most.

You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Also i wanted to add on, if anyone knows the pet that gives the buff like the Death Knight Horn of Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSexyFish View Post
    Also i wanted to add on, if anyone knows the pet that gives the buff like the Death Knight Horn of Winter.
    Cats do, it's been mentioned already.

Cunning and Ferocity are within 100 dps of eachother, everything is neglible. Tenacity are ~200ish dps behind, pretty much unnoticeable.

If the buff is NOT present: Cat> all. Period. Always have a kitty. If you don't have Sunder armor, or your warriors are lazy douchebags, Use a serpent for sunder. If you don't have anyone bringing it; Wolfs for 5% crit comes up as 3rd. If you have more then 3 dps casters{10} or 6 dps casters{25}{count survival and frost dks as casters for this} and do NOT have a UH DK or Warlock capable of doing elements{tongues, weakness, exhaustion bots} than Dragonhawk/Wind serpent is 4th. If you have mostly melee, Go ravager- tied for 4th.

If you're BM, this changes up a lot. Replace ravager with worms, Replace kitty with Spirit beasts. SPirit beasts>Worms>Shale Spider>Devilsaur>Dragonhawk/Ravager. If your group is missing other buffs, it's still better to pick these buffs up, but these are the essential buffs *primarily Roar of Courage{Horn of winter in kitty form}*. Horn of winter, Kings, Sunder Armor, and 5% crit are all HUGE buffs, that need to be present always.

Lastly, If you have everything, I suggest keeping a Bird of Prey, A moth, A spider, A Carrion Bird, and a Fox on you. Bird of Prey can disarm{some bosses are disarmable}, Carrion burn has Demoralizing shout{Good for Dk and Paladin tanks who are aoe tanking}, Spider has a root{can be useful in some scenarios}, Fox has Thunder clap{good for paladin tanks, who can't apply the slow aoe}, and Moths can interrupt{along with sporting a really high movement speed- can be useful for some fights}

Shits situational.
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2011-02-20 at 07:47 PM.

Don't forget that BM Hunters also bring the Health Buff (Silithid), if you lack a Priest, Warrior, or Destro Lock (Possible in 5-mans, not too likely in raiding), and even morseso, the Core Hound for the Bloodlust equivalent.

And don't forget, in regards to bringing a Dragonhawk/Wind Serpent - A Boomkin brings the same debuff too (Earth and Moon).

For a MM/SV Hunter, I'd bring from this list: Cat (Str/Agi), Wolf(5% Crit), Ravager(4% physical dmg), Raptor/Serpent (Sunder), Hyena (Bleed Bonus, which MM does have a bleed dmg talent), Dragonhawk/Wind Serpent(8% Spell dmg)

For BM, the list of choices is far broader, and goes as such: Core Hound (Lust+Tongues), Spirit Beast (Str/Agi+HoT), Devilsaur (5% Crit+10% Healing), Silithid (Fort+Root), Shale Spider (Kings+Stun), Rhino (Bleed+Knockback), Worm (4% Physical+Nature AoE), Chimaera (Snare+Nature/Frost AoE), Raptor/Serpent (Sunder).

BM is much longer, but they get alot more choices for some cool stuff. Always advisable to know who are running with for raiding, and tailoring your pet-list accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    I would like to direct you to http://wow-petopia.com for a complete list of pet families, skills, and appearances. It'll be way more helpful than just throwing a pet out at random.

The dog from SM has an immobilize, which is great and all, but it doesn't help your DPS any. Try getting a pet with a buff that benefits you, and ideally buffs the whole group with something the group is missing.

Possible options include:
    Wolf 5% crit
    Cat Agi/Str
    Ravager 4% physical damage taken
    Raptor sunder armor

...and many more!
    I carry those 4 plus a dragon hawk if I feel like going survival for a fight. It's really the only 5 you need when you're not BM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    I carry those 4 plus a dragon hawk if I feel like going survival for a fight. It's really the only 5 you need when you're not BM.
    True, but the OP mentioned he was MM, so I didn't feel that the dragonhawk/wind serpent was worth mention in that case, plus he specifically mentioned wanting to up his DPS, so I suggested more physical-based pets.

But you are absolutely right; every hunter should have one of each in my opinion: wolf, cat, ravager, raptor, dragonhawk/wind serpent. (BM equivalents are, of course, acceptable if you're BM. Maybe you like a giant dinosaur instead of a wolf. Whatever floats your boat.)

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is all you need to worry about.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8...flowchart3.jpg
    I'll not spend my days glancing over my shoulder for assassins. Let them look back for me. --Elbryan, the Nightbird.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Thundercougr/

I liked the pet usage flowchart better when it had Sporebat on it
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

I personally use a cat on my hunter for straight DPS pourposes. Im also MM, and noticed a differene between a cat, and a wolf. Mostly due to the buff(s) it brings. lvl 83, and doing 9-11k dps in regulars with the cat, as opposed to 7-9k DPS with a wolf.

get addon: "RaidChecklist"

wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/raid_checklist.aspx

its very easy to use , and you will see fast what pet is best for your party/raid

10+ Year Old Account
    Rilanciownz-Outland Eu
    Desertwolf-Sylvanas Eu

So that chart is saying that the armor debuff from raptors and snakes is the highest priority for non-BM?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    You beat me to it! Haha.

@OP: Just what the video says, you want to use the best pet for your raid composition (or 5 man as it were). If none of them are provided or if you are soloing, go with a cat. They give an agi bonus that is pretty good. Or you can go with a Wolf. Or a Ravager if you are in a melee heavy group... Wind Serpent in a caster heavy group. There are lots of pets for your needs. Lemme direct you to a very handy pet flowchart:

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/downlo...e=view&id=4688
    Last edited by Odayaka; 2011-02-21 at 03:21 PM.