Thread: guitar help

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    yeah try to play some before buying a guitar, you can bring a profession alongside yrself to help you pick a better one. Try to check if fretting is easy and soft and whiel holding a fret do the strings ring freely

---------- Post added 2011-02-21 at 03:56 PM ----------

and through out your training and playin' times I strongly suggest you not to just get stuck on prepared song tablatures, they are great but dont forget to learn scales, improvise on some drum patterns, try to use ears and learn some melodies yrself very important to make you a non robotic guitar player
    "Blizzard is not incompetent or stupid and they are not intentionally screwing you over"

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzon View Post
    Sad truth: Any guitar under $500 will completely blow ass.

Happy truth: If you want to play badly enough you'll play till your fingers bleed no matter how bad the guitar is, then in time the right guitar will come.
    Couldn't have said it better. Don't worry too much about the technical details if its your first axe.

My first ever bass guitar was an Epiphone, which is to Gibson what Squire is to Fender, more or less. Squires are awesome starter guitars. Yes they have flaws, but considering their price they are good.

A starter kit like the ones mentioned might be a good idea. Keep in mind most of the items in the set won't last very long. But as you save some $$$ you can start replacing them one by one as they break down with better quality ones.

Starter set amps are notoriously crappy. If you want to buy an affordable amp separately, check out Crate. Not sure how they are now but back in my day they used to be dirt cheap. There are also some very affordable amps from Peavey. In any case, make sure you get a "combo" amp, i.e. a box with loudspeaker and amp rack in one.

As far as guitars go, if you like the look & feel of the Fender strat (and really, who doesn't?) then get a Squire. Alternatively, you might find an actual used Fender on eBay but I wouldn't buy used until you know a bit more of the technical stuff like pick-up types, etc.

Lastly, I would strongly advice you to get a metronome and to never practice without it There are some cheap electronic ones out there.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a ton of acoustic experience - however it will be a very different feel than an electric just because of the sheer body size of a hollow body acoustic you will sit and hold the guitar differently. Also, I tend to notice when teaching people who are going form acoustic to electric tend to be strumming from the elbow and have trouble moving onto a lot of riffing and single string riffs because things like alternate and economy picking require a lot more wrist action. (just my experience -- by no means is it fact)

There are several really nice acoustics that are slimmer, or have a rounded back so that they have a lower body profile and can make that transition smoother.

I prefer electrics, however, I know people who have started with both and transitioned well to both. It really is just a matter of personal preference. Go to a guitar center and sit down with guitars in your price range and find one where the neck feels good in your fret hand and the body isn't too large or too small that sitting/standing/strumming/picking feels awkward or unnatural.

My knowledge of electrics considerably exceeds acoustics, my roommate has a pretty nice Luna, and I know Martins are solid acoustics as well. But brand name means shit if it doesn't feel comfortable to play.

@Xebu - there are free metronomes on the good 'ol interwebz that are pretty solid

For getting an acoustic, go to stores, and try out a bunch of brands what feels good to you, what holds well in your hands, and also the look. Then go searching for a similar guitar for cheaper. I'd personally go with steel strings, help callous your fingers faster, and they're closer to an electric's strings than nylon. Later, once you get some more money, and feel more comfortable with guitars, look into electrics.

Also, stay away from B.C. Rich's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

I play a steel string and a classical(nylon) guitar for acoustic, and I would definitely recommend a steel string more. The necks are narrower and they generally play easier as the action is a lot lower than on a nylon string guitar.