Thread: Maloriak Heroic

Maloriak Heroic

Hey so I was wondering has anyone actually tanked this who isnt a dk? the boss I mean, seems rather impossible to me unless I have something wrong here, was experimenting and I popped no cds and it one shot me with the breath, seems crazy.

Anyway the reason I ask this is because for that one minute of the fight my bone shield seems to keep me alive, it doesn't drop of at all and it casts the breath maybe what, 7 or 8 times? seems quite hard to get round as another class since your cooldowns will just drop off.

To clarify im talking about 25 man heroic black phase with the 100% healing reduction debuff
    Last edited by monkeyshine; 2011-02-21 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Of course other classes have tanked it.

We had our first night on it last night, and I had no issues tanking as a prot paladin.

The breath doesn't oneshot the DPS, so it shouldn't oneshot you unless you have the debuff. If you get the debuff, use a CD. Otherwise, if you are topped off you should survive a breath + melee without too much issue.

That's assuming you mean the red phase breath.

If not, during the black phase you have to watch for puddles. Move camera so you can see them clearly, and watch for them flying through the air for some extra reaction time. Not sure on DK mechanics but as a prot paladin, I time self heals in the 4 second healing window. If you're topped off between breaths, you should survive until the next one. If not topped off and a bit worried, pop a CD sooner rather than later. AD/GS type cooldowns don't work on the breath in this phase.

Deleted
    yeah i did as paladin.
    it's all about knowing how much dmg you are going to take and how much health(%) you need at breath-start to get trough.

for me it was like as long as I'm over 80ish% life, i'm gonna make it, if under pop small cd or call out for a cd
    in any case of a black-pool spawning under you and you take more than 1 hit -> CD, sometimes even a big one.

day 2 of progress our DK tank was there and i did adds, gotta admit it's WAY easyer with a DK as bosstank...

Deleted
    we have a druid tanking maloriak hc, and during the red phase we just point him towards raid and everyone eats the flame cept the person who is debuffed, didnt have much of an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I can only speak for 25-man heroic.

We have a bear tank Maloriak, and our disc priests and paladins rotate cooldowns on the raid + tank (everyone is stacked up) now since guardian spirit no longer provides a workaround.

In general, red phases have 3 breaths that you have to survive. The damage the breath does is divided among all the people who stand in front of Maloriak. That is usually 23 people in 25-man as you'll have 1 tank kiting, 1 person running out with the fire debuff.

Edit: Having read previous replies... If you're talking about the Engulfing Darkness breath, well... you shouldn't need any cooldowns there if your healers manage to top you off during the short moments where healing you is possible. If you catch a tick of the black goo puddles, it's no big deal yet, but if you catch two or more ticks, that was basically it. During Engulfing Darkness you will receive no healing.
    Last edited by Seriss; 2011-02-21 at 10:56 AM.

Deleted
    Yes, I tank it as a protection paladin. The damage output is really really low.

25 man heroic btw.

If I get a full breath, without any cds, shields etc what so ever, I usually jump down from 100% to about 40-45%.

If I get a shield or use a small cd I only go down to about 70-80% hp.

I always save my GoAK because there is really no point using it during black phase due to the low damage output. Rather have it for green phase.

Even if I get 2 goos during a breath, I don't die even without cds.

Once my healers forgot to heal me or something, I was on 58% when he started breathing me, I popped 60 second cd 20% damage reduction and survived easily.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2011-02-21 at 10:54 AM.

We just started him tonight and were having trouble with DPS getting 1 shot by the flame breath. everyone topped off it was hitting 8 ppl and some where taking 135k hits..

Quote Originally Posted by Senicide View Post
    We just started him tonight and were having trouble with DPS getting 1 shot by the flame breath. everyone topped off it was hitting 8 ppl and some where taking 135k hits..
    hitting 8 ppl ? you're talking about 10 man ?
    You should use aura mastery, divine guardian or pw:barrier per each fire breath in red phase. Like that your raid, if previosly toped, shouldnt drop below 15%

yes but clearly take the player not the class isnt working we didnt have enough CDs to cover every breath and any time someone didnt resist (195 resist should keep you alive) which was every flame breath we didnt have a CD for 1-2 ppl would get 1 shot. our moonkin even took a 129k hit (15% damage reduction on boomkins) which was 1k more hp then he has. seems kinda stupid you have to gay the fight with disc priest barriers/bubbles the rest of the fight is really ez we will kill it next week but with a totaly different set of players/classes

Something that happend to our tank once in a while was that he was getting meele swings because he was standing to close, don't know if this is a bug.. but move out abit futher and it will help, if that is whats killing you that is.

yes but clearly take the player not the class isnt working we didnt have enough CDs to cover every breath and any time someone didnt resist (195 resist should keep you alive) which was every flame breath we didnt have a CD for 1-2 ppl would get 1 shot. our moonkin even took a 129k hit (15% damage reduction on boomkins) which was 1k more hp then he has. seems kinda stupid you have to gay the fight with disc priest barriers/bubbles the rest of the fight is really ez we will kill it next week but with a totaly different set of players/classes
    Well thats a lot of utility there in those cds i mentioned, unless u wanna do it with 3 rdruids / rshamans or something like that. Holy paladin will have aura mastery up for every red phase, that covers one breath, and if u have healing priest in your team, let him go disc here. Prot paladin with DG would work aswell. 90% of time you'll get 2 breaths per red phase, unless you're doing something wrong.

As i have this done on 25hc i never rly saw problems with healing. It was more of moving propely for melee, avoiding unecessary pool dmg and high aoe dmg output. But a lot of bosses are bigger challenge on 1Om nowadays, so dont be pissed

10+ Year Old Account
    With a raid wall (pally) and a PW:B we can generally live through 2 Flame breaths (red), this includes bringing pets in and popping mirror images. But if we get a 3'rd, 2-5 people normally get one shot.

We killed heroic 25m Maloriak with a bear tanking. It's a matter of your healers being attentive to the cast duration of the breath, and making sure that the tank gets topped off as soon as healing is possible. We keep two paladins and a disc priest on the tank, and while we were learning the fight one of our paladins even went so far as to call when the breaths were on or off so the tank healers could get a sense of the rhythm of how they're cast.

As someone mentioned above, we did have one attempt where the tank got melee'd during the breath because he was standing closer than usual, which appears to be some kind of bug. Otherwise, as long as your healers are on the ball, you shouldn't have to go crazy trying to chain cooldowns to survive -- just make sure you're getting topped off between breaths.

Kinetic is recruiting DPS for mythic raids! (10/10H, US-Alexstrasza Alliance.)

I've tanked it as Bears multiple times in 10 and 25 fully agil/avoidance

Deleted

If you have a player a little undergeared with a smaller healthpool, try giving them a PW:S prior to breath.

---------- Post added 2011-02-22 at 11:13 AM ----------

You are an expansion back on resist mechanics. Resist is a static percent now, it hasn't been a chance of 0%,25%,50%,75%,100% since TBC.

Recall pets, they will split some of the damage. Mirror images work too. Contrary to my earlier post AD does work, can be used to eat one breath per red phase. GS doesn't work.

Doing the above we noticed raid damage on a breath go down by probably 30% last night. Would have the kill were it not for some lovely frost orbs at around 5% >.<