15+ Year Old Account

What may help queue times slightly.

Recently, I came up with an idea that could, at least in theory, assist queue times slightly for everyone.

No, this idea has nothing to do with skill of players.

No, this idea will not make getting gear faster.

However, recently I have run into this problem, which has for half this week prevented me from wanting to do my random heroic.

I'm Valor capped.

No, I don't want the valor cap to be increased. That would simply make gearing up easier, and simply put I think it is perfectly fine as it is now.

However, that being said, I DO think that people in my position (who achieve Valor cap early) should be able to do their random heroic in exchange for Justice points. I would think the amount that you get for the normal daily as of now (140) or even slightly higher (up to 200, no more than) would be a nice compensation for those raiders who are having some successes in raiding, and then have no real reward for the random heroic other than some gold and, possibly, a repair bill and some enchanting mats. It would also make the new vendor more attractive, and allow raiders slightly easier access to materials that they could turn into either a. repair money for the raid week or b. items that they need or use for raiding.

I'm contemplating presenting this idea to Blizzard, but I would like to see what some of the community thinks first. If you were given a decent amount of Justice points in replace of the Valor points that you could not collect, would you still do your random heroic after achieving Valor cap?
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Two problems:

First and most importantly, if this happened, you would flood the system with not just tanks and healers, which is what is needed, but also DPS that wants to make the extra gold. End result: No change at all.

Second, avoid valor cap, buy BOE boots. Sell or give them to alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Two problems:

First and most importantly, if this happened, you would flood the system with not just tanks and healers, which is what is needed, but also DPS that wants to make the extra gold. End result: No change at all.

You can't avoid the cap, can only farm so many a week, no matter what.

Deleted
    The cost of the boots is less than the cap. Buy boots when reaching that amount of points. The only time you should get capped then, is if you reach it while raiding because you didn't have enough points before starting the raid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Two problems:

Yes, what the person below you replied, you cannot avoid Valor capping each week. I don't mean that my points are capped at 4000.

The cap of Valor points you van earn in a weekly period is 1250. As I raid 25-mans, and am in a currently 11/12 guild (only Nefarion is left), by the end of the raid week counting BH (10) and my three randoms, I'm usually one or two mroe dailies, at most, shy of capping.

If we go only by Cho'gall totals in normal mode, approximately 28% of all of the world's guilds face a very similar problem. If we go by Al'akir, then it's about 22% of guilds. Guilds that are 12/12 (meaning a total of about 14% worldwide) would be close to cap by the end of their raid week, even on 10-man.

Now, while I do agree that this would place more DPSers in queue (which is an obvious), I believe it would be a much higher overall total of willing tanks and healers. Most progressed raiders either a. have a dualspec designed for a different role (especially hybrids in 10-man guilds) or b. are thanks or healers themselves.

On top of which, even at a maximum of 200 Justice points per first random after Valor cap, to buy the most useful overall item (the herb bag) would still take nearly a week's full of runs to get access to. Though I suppose you could also get the stack of ore or leather, both of which are cheaper.

This could also assist the auction house prices of these items, allowing what are incredibly high totals to normalize down to something a bit more reasonable.

I can't see any real downsides from this idea when you break it down. Not only would it increase hybrid queue totals, but it would be fairly obvious high quality players (let's be realistic, the number of bad players that far in progression is slim). This makes heroics easier for those who may be struggling.

More thoughts are appreciated. Thank you for the first couple of replies to get this discussion off the ground.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Been reading up on Valor caps (ya, I don't raid) and I think I misunderstood the OP a little bit. However, my point still stands, it would not help at all.

For those of you that don't know, just like I didn't until a few minutes ago, there is a weekly cap on Valor gain. From what I can read, it's 1250 per week, which is less than the boots cost. I was thinking there was only a cap on total points, like there is with Justice, and that cap is higher that the cost of the boots. So I was right, but also wrong. That's fine.

Back to the OP. OP wants something else instead of Valor for the first daily HC. OP wants Justice points instead. But OP also says that it would be a nice compensation for those that are capped "and then have no real reward for the random heroic other than some gold and, possibly, a repair bill and some enchanting mats.". That is quite the contradiction. All heroic bosses drop JPs on kill. The people that only do random heroics NOW for VP, they don't care about JP. Giving them more JP will not be an incentive to have them join the queue. Most people can farm the mats available on the JP vendor in less than 10 minutes. JP is useless to them, unless they want heirlooms.

In the end, it would still not make any noticable change to the queue times. IF somehow this change got through and it was an awesome incentive to make raiders still do their daily random heroic, instead of sitting on their butt in a major city, it would be just a good incentive to DPS as to tanks and healers. Tanks and healers are the ones we don't have enough of. And with some of them being jerks and skipping as many bosses as possible, because THEY don't need the JP, the DPS have a harder time gearing up. That leads to them signing up again and again, making the demand for tanks and healers stay at the exact same level it is now. And most likely always will be...

Edit: Completely forgot the other reason for actually posting this and only noticed after reading the above post:

Blizzard, when implementing this cap to Valor (and Conquest for the PVPers), actually did it because they wanted people to NOT feel they needed to run the daily every day. A quote from Bashiok says
    To explain the reasoning for the weekly cap on points for the higher tiers, this is to provide flexibility in how players choose to earn the points without feeling like they have to do all of the content as often as it is available. If your Valor income from raiding is sufficient, you may not feel the need to run Dungeon Finder every night, or perhaps even at all.
    This means that you are not supposed to run the heroics if you don't want to. Those that wants to do it, even after getting phat lewt from raiding, they'll continue to do so.
    Last edited by mmoc4ce4b1614a; 2011-02-21 at 10:18 PM.

EDIT I typed this and didn't hit post. Now my post is out of date
    Last edited by davesurfer; 2011-02-21 at 11:29 PM.

Deleted
    While I don't reach the cap myself, I still see your point OP.

But tbh I really don't think that giving JP's instead of VP's for ppl who are capped, wont really make said ppl run their random heroic tbh. First of all cause you get so little for so many JP's, secondly cause most mats can easily be farmed faster than farm dungeons - unless you don't have a specific profession. In that case I'd prefer farming my own profession, make some gold from it and buy what I can't farm - still would be faster and less painful imo.

On top of that, I think you would have ppl complaining about some ppl getting rewarded extra JP's, just cause they're capped on VP's. Not that it would matter to me, just think ppl who can't reach the cap, would feel it wasn't fair.

Again, pls remember that most tanks/healers stay out of the LFD, not cause they are capped, but cause they hate pugging. And if they run with their guildies, well then it wont really affect the queue times alot would it.........