Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I need an anti-virus, suggestions please?

My subscription to AVG just ran out so I'm in the market for a new one if there's a better one out there. I'm not that picky, I just want something that A) Won't try to tell me that WoW is a malicious program all the time and B) Doesn't cause too much background interference when I'm playing WoW, C) Most bang for the buck.

Thanks

Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials, im using it for more than 1 year now, and i have to say its very good anti virus, and its for free!!

I'm using ESET Smart Security 4.

It's lightweight, and gets the job's done.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

10+ Year Old Account
    Avast! is a great anti-virus program. Very lightweight and non-intrusive, can be set to run silently, and it includes all the industry standard options available through most mainstream anti-virus programs. It's also FREE! \o/ You have to register it every 90 days if you opt out of an upgrade program, but 5 minutes of your time once every 3 months is probably more appealing than paying $60-$100 for an upgraded version with features you will never use.

E-SET - Good choice for gamers - Very, very low use of system resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kasperky pwns

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for all the help, keep it coming! I'm checking into the AV's I've seen mentioned here Free sounds appealing to me because right now 39-50$ sounds a little more than I can safely handle financially at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Norton.

On a more serious note, Avast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eset nod32

I use ESET NOD32, and I love it, it uses hardly any resources at all, and it's fantastic at what it does!

Deleted
    Just don't take Norton, it creates more spam than it removes. Toolbars and all that crap.

I've used ESET Nod32 for years and really happy with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So after reviewing all the suggestions I went wiiiiith *drumroll*

ESET Nod32 Yeah I had to pay for it but after reading these reviews and reviews from a few independent sites, it really did appear to be the most bang for the buck so to speak. Thank you everyone!!!

It's pretty hard to go wrong in your choice of AV right now, but I'm partial to MSE.

You dont need an antivirus, you want one. But atm im using mse, it installed itshelf and havent been bothered to remove it. Before that i didnt have an antivir, and there were no horror stories.

Quote Originally Posted by arons4 View Post
    You dont need an antivirus, you want one. But atm im using mse, it installed itshelf and havent been bothered to remove it. Before that i didnt have an antivir, and there were no horror stories.
    Uhhh....MSE doesn't install itself on you computer, malware that looks like MSE does.

http://www.articlesbase.com/operatin...s-4142616.html

I do not have a real time anti-virus program, and I have never once gotten a virus on my current computer. Maybe because I use Google Chrome, maybe because I don't download random shit. But I do have Malwarebytes ready to boot up if I ever do get a virus. I highly recommend it, its worked for me several times in the past.
    If you are going to get a real time virus program, I'd get Anti-Vir. It's free and worked pretty well on my old lappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeggBundy View Post
    Just let us come in and fix it guys, we promise Haliburton won't steal the pyramids.

I swear by Malwarebytes. If you're ever going to buy an anti-virus, MBAM is like $20 for a lifetime of protection on a computer. I use it on the computers where I story customer information. I use it to get the nasty stuff off of customers' computers. Anyone asks what kind of protection they should get, it's the first thing out of my mouth. Like now

For the free stuff I don't have as strong of an opinion. MBAM has a free version, but it isn't realtime, only a scanner. Avast is definitely a solid choice.