10+ Year Old Account

Smile Mana in low level instances

So i started a new alt and went for a priest.
    Got some boa stuff, and set off to venture into Azeroth.

So far i did some instances as dps (shadow) but with the continuous pulling i was oom nearly all of the time.
    I wanted to try out healing as i have never done that before, but i dread to do that. I will get insta kicked if i keep up the group by having to drink after each pull.
    Does this get better as i level? Currently i am level 37.

Any tips on newbie healing in lower level instances are also greatly appreciated =)

I did disc healing to lvl up from 25-70(then shadow questing from then on) You hardly go oom because stuff dies so fast. Generally you can heal the tank just from smite spam+atonement, and then use the mana back from the 2nd tier talent.

Shadow just frankly doesnt have the mana regen abilities at that level like dispersion and SW
    Tank Extraordinaire

I didnt play a priest but I played a Paladin. I was in the same boat as you, played dps for my first char (Mage) wanted a new class (Paladin) but thought to myself that healing HAS to be way to boring. Really its not, I grew to like it a lot, mainly in Pvp nothing is more fun for me now then healing/CCing and watching 1 person take down 10 in a Bg and knowing that it was basicly because of me. So don't be afraid of healing.
    Secondly, you learn a lot from healing lowbie instances, what works, what doesn't work, and how to react quicker. Plus you get WAY faster ques at 50+ you run into major problems with que times.
    As it stands, Im pretty sure just standard healing and Power Word Shield is all it takes as a priest I could be wrong but its generally not to hard :P

Go Disc and Smite heal, you'll never go oom and you'll be decent damage to the group also.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfMorR:mZdZz

is the disc priest spec i would go with. With shield on Tank and Smite spam on the mobs, you can keep up a tank/melee indefinitely. Ranged might need a rogue heal or shield from time to time. With Evangelism and atonement, your smite heals for a bunch, and keeps you from getting bored by giving you something to do . Just use Archangel everytime you reach 5stacks and you should never oom, especially once you get rapture for your next few talent points
    Tank Extraordinaire

A friend and I recently leveled some alts. I went prot warrior and she went.....holy (i think?) priest. I remember her having to stop for mana after every 2-3 pulls up until 45-50ish. If you have to stop for mana often, as long as you keep the group alive, they shouldn't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, cool.
    This sounds encouraging, will go try it out. Thanks for your replies =)

Instant kick? Surely not! Just take a drink every few pulls and thats it. People will understand. I was just tanking a few Outland instances and the healer who was with me did need to drink every few pulls. But Hymn of Hope prolonged that sort of. And Killing mobs so quickly that heals were not needed also helped him get a lil mana back naturally.

Make sure you're specced into Atonement and Archangel. Smite is usually enough to keep the group alive by itself (even in northrend dungeons from my experience) Use Archangel on cooldown/5 stacks of evangelism. Enjoy running dungeons as 4 dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Instant kick? Surely not! Just take a drink every few pulls and thats it. People will understand. I was just tanking a few Outland instances and the healer who was with me did need to drink every few pulls. But Hymn of Hope prolonged that sort of. And Killing mobs so quickly that heals were not needed also helped him get a lil mana back naturally.
    Well, i know i would but sometimes in pugs you meet those people that only seem to be able to write gogogogo and chainpull.
    Usually found with a name like árthásdk or hunterman and the likes :P
    They are rarely forgiving when it comes to mistakes being made.

the biggest thing if you have to drink alot between pulls is:

move, then drink, this way you're already in range if you need to stop drinking to start casting, which avoids the oh shit moment while you're not in range

Shadow is way more mana hungry in instances then Disc or Holy because you don't have the same mana regen in combat. You won't have the same issues when healing.

You should also learn over time how to drink between pulls without holding up the group. Just stay with the group, but just before the tank pulls, start drinking (before you go into combat). The damage isn't so high at low levels that you need to worry about pre-loading spells and heal spamming the entire fight, just drink while the fight gets underway and pop up and heal when you need to.

edit - I find what's more annoying about healing instances then needing to drink, is looting. The healer is the last to loot because you are topping people up while they loot and move on. If you are a tailor you usually have tons of mobs to loot cloth from and it's easy to fall behind the group. I have had so many tanks takes off, behind 2 corners LOS'ing me, aoe pulling 20 mobs while I'm desperately trying to catch up.
    Last edited by Krimson; 2011-02-23 at 04:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Giverne View Post
    Well, i know i would but sometimes in pugs you meet those people that only seem to be able to write gogogogo and chainpull.
    Usually found with a name like árthásdk or hunterman and the likes :P
    They are rarely forgiving when it comes to mistakes being made.
    tbh you should not be worried about that, as a haler you have one advantage ppl with that attitude don't have you can re-que and join next group in less then few min while they'll have to wait much longer. if grp is like "omg l2p n00b" just leave'em and let them rotten and go for another group. fact is low level instances and experiencing healing for first time are so much fun there is no point to waste it for ppl who are not worth it