Thread: PLEASE hELP

10+ Year Old Account

PLEASE hELP

Ok so i just spilt some soda on my 2007 macbook po. I absolutely love this computer and i'm trying to figure out if there is anything i can do. The spill primairily went to the keyboard but some of it got into the sceen. I've read that I sould put it in a closed envioment with some salt to dry it out but it seems that less and less keys are woking as I go. As as I type this many of the keys are failing on me.........if you can suggest any way to help me please do!!!!!

the original message was very distorted and hard to read....ive logged on a different computer to umm.....translate it into a more understandable language. Please, if you know anything about Macs help me out, I want to fix this problem as quickly as possible.

My Mac: 2007 Macbook Pro 15 inch model. I got it through my college at the time and it has served me since then. Right now I have it in a sealed trash bag with a cup of epson salt to hopefully dry it out some more. Ive looked online how to remove keys but I'm not sure if this will fix the keyboard. I am willing to potentially buy a new one as long as the actual LCD screen still works. Some of the liquid got behind it and started to change the way the image looked. It was by no means difficult to see past, I'm just worried about long term damage that would make it impossible to use. Hopefully someone on here can help me out.....thanks mmo-champ community.
    Last edited by ketzil; 2011-02-24 at 07:11 AM.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

Turn it off. Let it dry. It may fix the keyboard. If your careful you may be able to pull off the monitor bezel and clean the screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks tehpy....as of now its sitting in a sealed plastic bag battery-less with a cup of salt to dry it out further. I dont know enough about removing an outer LCD monitor screen, if you could provide a link to point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated. Apparently ifixit for my model no longer works; but im looking further into this site now.

15+ Year Old Account
    One word...Rice. If you ever drop electronics in water or spill something on them, let them set in a container of rice. It draws moisture extremely well and is very affordable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    One word...Rice. If you ever drop electronics in water or spill something on them, let them set in a container of rice. It draws moisture extremely well and is very affordable.
    Awesome. I just put about 2-3 cups of rice in a low bowl on top of my mac's keyboard. I'm assuming this is the right way to go about this, if not let me know.

iveused the rice trick for my wifes cell phone. just filled a gollon size zip lock and shoved her phone in it. id be worried about doing that to a computer,but it might help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mags is aman View Post
    iveused the rice trick for my wifes cell phone. just filled a gollon size zip lock and shoved her phone in it. id be worried about doing that to a computer,but it might help.
    yeah man its kind of in the same atomosphere as the rice and salt at this point. Im hoping some of the liquid will evaporate into it but I really dont know what will happen. One things for sure and that is I'm watching the thread like a hawk haha.....seriously tho I couldn't find shit about my specific problem on google.

Deleted
    I spilt a saucepan of water on my old laptop. I turned it off, laid it upside'down with kitchen paper pressed up against it, and it worked like new in the morning when I woke up. Turn it off, leave it somewhere it can air out and dry.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok awesome unify....ill most likely try to start it up at 12 tomorrow, which is about 12 hours after i screwed it over. Hopefully everything will go accordingly, if not ill be WoW-less for a long, long time.

My son spilled recently water over my G15 (its gone now) and I didn't know about it until it did start to act funny (eg. writing 2-3 letters with one key stroke.) You NEED to take that comp to someone capable to open it cause it will happen the same thing that happened to my keyboard, graphite lines that are under keys will corrode and melt together at which point you will be screwed. Rice and salt tricks are useful but for less sensitive electronic stuff. Lap top needs to be opened and dried off especially board under keys. That board has 3-4 tin layers and when moisture comes in there you have very little time left. Go and seek some professional help if you care about your computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    My son spilled recently water over my G15 (its gone now) and I didn't know about it until it did start to act funny (eg. writing 2-3 letters with one key stroke.) You NEED to take that comp to someone capable to open it cause it will happen the same thing that happened to my keyboard, graphite lines that are under keys will corrode and melt together at which point you will be screwed. Rice and salt tricks are useful but for less sensitive electronic stuff. Lap top needs to be opened and dried off especially board under keys. That board has 3-4 tin layers and when moisture comes in there you have very little time left. Go and seek some professional help if you care about your computer.
    I really appreciate the heads up Coma. My laptop had the 2 year warranty run out in 1/10....at this point any repairs will be at my expense. So I am aware right now is the best time to get everything taken care of but at t he same time I am trying to buy tickets to go on a vacation 4 months in planning....thats my real problem, I will have the potentil money in like a week, I just can either spend it on a girl, or myself. I don't want to turn this into a moral conundrum, its just a very difficult situation I've put myself in and if anyone else can help i greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ketzil View Post
    Ok so i just spilt some soda on my 2007 macbook

it seems that less and less keys are woking as I go. As as I type this many of the keys are failing on me
    Rice and salt drying works if you spill water on it, but soda, coffee or alcohol is whole another thing. Those contain sugar, and when it dries, it becomes sticky. That's why your keyboard fails, and it can not be fixed unless you pull apart the keyboard and clean away all that sticky sugar and then let it dry.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.