Thread: So...Al'Akir...

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So...Al'Akir...

Or as I like to call it...."Going up? No, then down perhaps? Damn, the brakes are gone - Dead."

Right so we tried this boss as a guild run just for fun, and boy is it ever fun. Don't get me wrong, not being sarcastic, this boss really is fun, I mean staring down those tornadoes coming at you is hilarious!! The amount of swearing that results from this and Wind Burst is very funny!!

My main issue is if - may be I should say when since we have just got here and are still learning this fun encounter - I get blown off the edge with a badly timed avoidance of Wind Burst that happens way too close to the Squall (tornado period). I just never seem to get dropped back onto the platform and keep going up and down, spinning madly out of control. Is there a method to successfully returning to the platform? Is it automated? Should one jump at the top when you stop for a brief moment? Is it because I am a shadow priest - does shadow form cause the problem? Is it my damned Draenei hooves that are too long? Or is it that cloth dress just holding too much air??

If I got blown off 5 times over the time we were in there, I only managed to get back on the platform *once* and I can't even guess how that happened

Have tried looking for some information about this and have not found anything about it except a post of a possible bug which is not explained in further detail. So aside from the "don't get hit by things that can send you flying" stuff, some form of further information would be nice!

Deleted
    That must be a bug, I always jump off if I can't miss the tornadoes in time, and it always bounces me back up just after the tornadoes pass.

And I agree, it is a fun fight!

Sounds like some sort of bug if you are getting blown off and not able to get back on the platform, which should be done automatically granted you stay alive.

If you are having issues dealing with Wind Burst and a Squall Line, I find that running away from the tornados, taking the wind burst, then running through the hole to safety works like a charm. Just remember where your position is and you'll never get hit by tornadoes and suffer from wind burst again. The fight is all about awareness and anticipating that Wind Burst in phase 1. Good luck to you and your guild.

Hmm, thanks for replies.

So it's supposed to be an automated process, which is what I thought but was finding hard to believe....

Yeah, avoidance is king, but in headless chicken mode still, although we did get to 63% on our last try. Will have to ask a GM about it then.
    Last edited by Southern; 2011-02-24 at 08:20 AM. Reason: contextual spell check would be the bomb!

Are you sure you aren't being killed by his nasty lightning thing when you jump off the platform?

Quote Originally Posted by ShitShyShoes View Post
    Are you sure you aren't being killed by his nasty lightning thing when you jump off the platform?
    Well, my health bar would read 0 I suppose if I was dead. And I still take healing as well, so no, not dead or near dead, except may be after 45-90 secs of learning to fly

Deleted
    Once I fell down and the thing which is supposed to take you back up, took me to Conclave platform :|.. In middle of the Al'akir fight.

The first time we killed him I jumped out of the platform to avoid the tornadoes when the fight was just starting. I got back just in time for phase 2 after failing to go back up a few times.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxi View Post
    Once I fell down and the thing which is supposed to take you back up, took me to Conclave platform :|.. In middle of the Al'akir fight.
    Lol my last conclave group had a hunter get knocked to the alakir platform during the fight :P.

Stop getting blown off, there's no reason to get blown off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goddamm don't get hit by those frikkin tornados,
    Wind burst incoming
    OMG not again

A couple of the regular things I hear when the 2nd group is doing Al'Akir for almost the whole night while we 1 shot it even yesterday when we had our DK and Mage dead in the beginning of the 3rd phase.

And the achievement "Four play" is also pretty easy to do.

Deleted
    I've had this same problem OP. However when I had this problem I was quite laggy, so I assumed this was the problem. Other nights when I don't have lag I've never had this problem.
    So I'd say lag is causing it. If you're not lagging though, then I have no idea.

yea I'm not sure what the case is here but i have the same problem when i do fall off or jump of whatever the situation is. Got blown off right at the start of phaze 1 my first run and was flying up and down the rest of the fight made it almost thru phaze 2 but was still flying up and down till tank DCed

Tell your tank to learn how to control AlAkir..... WITH YOUR BRAINNNNNN

no.... im serious, keep reading.

Using accute timing (DBM is hard bro), tell your tank to get out of his melee range ABOUT FIVE seconds PRIOR to Wind Burst.
    "But Revain this sounds dumb bro"

I KNO RITE

Unless the gap in the tornado wall is in melee, this delays the Wind Burst cast until he is done channeling Electrocute (the move he uses on the tank when he is not in melee range). If the gap is ALLLLLLL the way out in the middle of hell (at the edge), make sure he uses a CD. Im a paladin so I glyph Divine Protection, my buddy who taught me this (he is a DK) uses AMS and other fun stuff.

Btw, even IF the gap is in melee, you still manage to delay Wind Burst long enough for the effects to be minimal. This gives just a little bit more control to a rng-fest that is AlAkir. Using this method we push through phase 1 with only two tornado walls, easy peezy.

Edit: I realise this didnt exactly address the issue of you going off and not coming back, but this will help you never go off in the first place! =)

10+ Year Old Account
    necromancers at work here !
    rezzing a month old dead threat O_o

Damn am I looking forward to progressing on Al'akir... Had one attempt on him so far, group killed Conclave 2 hours into our 3hour raid and then spent 50 minutes positioning ourselves for the boss...
    anyway I digress.

This certainly sounds like a bug; I never had any trouble getting put back on the platform despite having to take the wind blast to not get tornadoed several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    I'd ride for the sole fact that its a huge cock. It'd be hilarious.

My favorite part of the fight is far back tornado, with an ice patch there and wind blast is casting.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    this boss sucks i can't go afk during the fight!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    My favorite part of the fight is far back tornado, with an ice patch there and wind blast is casting.
    Keep runing ahead of the wall until you are windblasted, solved. You should already be near the boss when windblast cd expires, ice patch will not really affect this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand how people get windbursted off of the platform. The only time you should be off the platform is if you are running off by choice all of the phase 1 mechanics are easily dealt with.

Made by dubbelbasse